The Student Room Group

How do I drop out of university?

I'm in my second year of a degree, and I'm not happy. :frown:

The work I have submitted has been rubbish: so far my assignments have been graded at 75%, 55%, 55%, and 52%. These assignments were supposed to be the easiest ones, and I have some feedback incoming on Friday about another assignment I did, but that's not going to be high seeing as it was wrong. I have two assignments due in Friday, one of them I haven't started - or know much about.

I haven't been able to go to lectures as the main lecture hall we use is really small, and I find it really hard to go to them as I get so anxious (I wrote a previous thread about it, so won't go into detail here).

It's too late to get help about the above issue anyway, especially as I have assignments due in so soon.

I want to drop out as I know that my grades will not get any better; if I'm getting 55% in essays, there is no way that I am going to get any higher in exams.

But how do you actually drop out? Do I just drop an email to my personal tutor and then sort it out from there? What should I even say?

Any help is much appreciated.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd wait till this year finishes. That's the only way I can think about it. :/ I'd speak to your tutor, send him/her a message and ask him/her your situation. Have you spoken to your parents about dropping out?
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that things aren't going well for you. I understand completely, I've just made the decision to leave my masters course because of anxiety issues. I think it probably depends a little on which university you go to, but I spoke with my college adviser and she is helping me sort it out. I suppose your personal tutor would be the right person to speak to, as even if they cannot start the process for you they'll know who you should go to. I would just say that you should make sure you definitely want to make this decision though, because there may be other options for you to explore that you might find work even better for you. That being said, if you know this is the best thing for you to do, then you should go for it. I hope everything goes well :smile:
Don't do it bro you only get one shot at this, otherwise you'll spend decades saving the money for it, work is a dead end without a degree, unless you do something exciting/adventurous as a career I guess.
Reply 4
I've just sent my tutor an email briefly explaining why I want to withdraw, and whether they can help me.

I also received the feedback for the other previous assignment, and I only got 52% for it, so my overall grades so far are terrible. There's an assignment that needs to be done today; I tried to do half of it but then gave up, so not going to submit anything.

I kind of feel relieved, but also dwelling on how much of a massive failure I am.
Original post by abdul201588
Have you spoken to your parents about dropping out?

My parents think university is a waste of time anyway. I'm the first in the family to go to university, so they wouldn't really understand.

I'm not sure what I want to do after dropping out. I'm thinking about re-starting the year next year, but I don't know how that will work out.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Wiggly
I've just sent my tutor an email briefly explaining why I want to withdraw, and whether they can help me.

I also received the feedback for the other previous assignment, and I only got 52% for it, so my overall grades so far are terrible. There's an assignment that needs to be done today; I tried to do half of it but then gave up, so not going to submit anything.

I kind of feel relieved, but also dwelling on how much of a massive failure I am.

My parents think university is a waste of time anyway. I'm the first in the family to go to university, so they wouldn't really understand.

I'm not sure what I want to do after dropping out. I'm thinking about re-starting the year next year, but I don't know how that will work out.

All the details about the procedure for dropping out will be on the uni website.

You need to fillout any paperwork so your department knows.
Terminate your accommodation.
Tell SF.

You have 3 options.

1. Leave uni period.
2. Suspend studies and return next year. Importnat before you do any exams.
3. Suspend and seek a transfer.
Original post by Wiggly

If you're thinking of restarting the year then TELL your tutor that.

Once a university withdraws you it's often very difficult to bring you back into the course - whereas if you intermit/suspend then coming back is easier.

What sort of marks were you hoping for? mid 50s is pretty good for second year (and a long way away from a fail mark).
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
What sort of marks were you hoping for? mid 50s is pretty good for second year (and a long way away from a fail mark).

I would be happy with (and expect) marks between 65-75%. That's where I was in the first year.

The problem is that with the addition of exams, and the fact that I haven't submitted an assignment, the marks are not going to get any higher for the year even if I did stay. I think this year counts for 30% of the overall course grade.

__
I'm still waiting to hear from my tutor.

I don't know how student finance would work out if I were to choose to restart the year. :frown:

I'm sort of hoping that they will let me re-do some of the assignments (mainly the one that I didn't do) so that I can keep on track for 60% (which I doubt I would get with this poor start) and in that way I wouldn't have to worry about re-starting. That's a fantasy though.
Original post by 999tigger
All the details about the procedure for dropping out will be on the uni website.

All I could find on the website was to contact the course administrator.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Wiggly

All I could find on the website was to contact the course administrator.

Well ive not come across a website that does not have these details on its website. It will also be in your student handbook, but failing that speak to admissions or your department.

It will involve informing your department and filling a form out.
Informing admissions.
Accommodation.
Student finance.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest