The Student Room Group

What unis are best to become a barrister?

I am currently in year13 considering uni to study law and want to pursue a career as a barrister. I was wondering if anyone out there knows of the best way into this profession as I know it is very competitive.Ideas on unis employers look for for training contracts ect outside of Oxbridge would be helpful, I'm looking at Leeds and York but are open to suggestions, I am in year 13 currently (deferring for a year) and I'm predicted A*A*A. If anyone has any suggestions it would be very helpful.
Original post by student_m123
I am currently in year13 considering uni to study law and want to pursue a career as a barrister. I was wondering if anyone out there knows of the best way into this profession as I know it is very competitive.Ideas on unis employers look for for training contracts ect outside of Oxbridge would be helpful, I'm looking at Leeds and York but are open to suggestions, I am in year 13 currently (deferring for a year) and I'm predicted A*A*A. If anyone has any suggestions it would be very helpful.

Law firms, and particularly the Bar, still have a reputation for being prestige whores. It would be prudent to go to the most prestigious university you can if you are serious about becoming a barrister. That said, lots of people who went to 'average' universities find places in chambers too.

Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, LSE, KCL, Durham, Warwick, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Bristol, Nottingham, Manchester, Birmingham, Exeter, York and SOAS are all good options.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
Law firms, and particularly the Bar, still have a reputation for being prestige whores. It would be prudent to go to the most prestigious university you can if you are serious about becoming a barrister. That said, lots of people who went to 'average' universities find places in chambers too.

Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, LSE, KCL, Durham, Warwick, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Bristol, Nottingham, Manchester, Birmingham, Exeter, York and SOAS are all good options.

thanks

Quick Reply