The Student Room Group

Getting into Investment Banking

I am currently in Year 13, wanting to go to Uni and then go into Investment Banking. I wanted to know what I can be doing to improve my chances when trying to get a job in Investment Banking. I understand you need to get internships in your final year of Uni but what could I do now instead of waiting until then.
Is there placements for Year 13 students that I could apply for or any other programmes I could do?
Given the high degree of competition in these sectors, you will need to make an informed decision as to whether firstly the job is right for you and secondly the route needed to get there. Gaining a first hand insight into these professions via insight schemes/work experience/interns during your A levels may also help you when applying to university courses or further jobs down the line.

1) A good place to start would be Student Ladder which gives an overview of what opportunities are available:

http://www.studentladder.co.uk/Work-...xperience.html

Examples of firms that offer experience:

Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Credit Suisse
Morgan Stanley
HSBC
RBS
PwC
McKinsey
Ernst & Young

All you simply have to do is check if you fit the application criteria and apply. Generally they ask for Predicted Grades (i.e Banking has AAB) and if you're filtered through you get a numerical & verbal reasoning test.

2) Another way to get involved would be through recruitment agencies assisting 6th form students getting work experience in professional industries. There are two organisations that I'm a part of who were able to offer me countless opportunities.

SEO London ( http://www.seo-london.com/ )

The Brokerage Citylink ( http://www.thebrokerage.org.uk/ )

These agencies generally take students from disadvantaged backgrounds and ethnic minorities to develop their competencies and understanding of life in the City. Generally admissions requires strong A level predicted grades/AS grades and an interview however it is definitely worth the effort, if you make it through. If successful, with SEO you are assigned a personal mentor who guides you through the application processes and CV/Cover letter writing.

3) Most people know someone who works in the industry they're aspiring to go to. This is one of the simplest way to get exposure into a particular field which looks good on your CV as it shows initiative. Simply ask a relative of a family friend to offer you a week experience, even if it's shadowing. It may seem obvious but a lot of people miss out on said opportunities which really adds value to their character.

I'd strongly advise taking advantage of said opportunities, as they're definitely useful and a great chance to network. Also networking is a vital part if you're successfully permitted on to these programmes. Stay in touch with the people you meet, a good way is to set up a LinkedIn account so people can track your progress and you can easily send mail/questions.

Original post by 09812dsd
x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending