Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to study Biomedical Science at one of these universities as I have received offers from them, but need to choose which one will be my firm choice.

There is no doubt that KCL is a more reputable, prestigious university but Kent is ranked higher in aspects such as student satisfaction. According to the UniStats website, there are around the same amount of students graduating with a 2:1 or above. The degree at King's will consist of around 78% exams, whereas at Kent it will be 50/50 coursework which I find easier.

I wasn't originally planning on moving out for the whole three years for my degree, but I live within a commutable distance of both the universities (1.5 hours by train to KCL, 1.5 hours to Kent by car - depending on traffic).

I have looked at the accommodation options for both universities and Kent's accommodation is by far better than those found at King's (in my opinion), not to mention the fact that it is cheaper, more spacious and I would be receiving a £2,000 scholarship which I can put some towards the accommodation. For the first year at least, I feel as though I would be happier living in the Kent Uni accommodation - even though there is more of a nightlife in London.

If I study at King's, I would live at their accommodation for the first year and commute by train in my second and third years. (This was my original plan as I want to live at home for the majority of my degree). If I study at Kent, I will more than likely have to live there for the whole three years, which is not something I really want to do.

*I would be looking to complete my dentistry degree with King's College*.

I would really like some advice from an outsider's point of view please.
    Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NBurchell)
    I'm looking to study Biomedical Science at one of these universities as I have received offers from them, but need to choose which one will be my firm choice.

There is no doubt that KCL is a more reputable, prestigious university but Kent is ranked higher in aspects such as student satisfaction. According to the UniStats website, there are around the same amount of students graduating with a 2:1 or above. The degree at King's will consist of around 78% exams, whereas at Kent it will be 50/50 coursework which I find easier.

I wasn't originally planning on moving out for the whole three years for my degree, but I live within a commutable distance of both the universities (1.5 hours by train to KCL, 1.5 hours to Kent by car - depending on traffic).

I have looked at the accommodation options for both universities and Kent's accommodation is by far better than those found at King's (in my opinion), not to mention the fact that it is cheaper, more spacious and I would be receiving a £2,000 scholarship which I can put some towards the accommodation. For the first year at least, I feel as though I would be happier living in the Kent Uni accommodation - even though there is more of a nightlife in London.

If I study at King's, I would live at their accommodation for the first year and commute by train in my second and third years. (This was my original plan as I want to live at home for the majority of my degree). If I study at Kent, I will more than likely have to live there for the whole three years, which is not something I really want to do.

*I would be looking to complete my dentistry degree with King's College*.

I would really like some advice from an outsider's point of view please.
    Thank you in advance.
    I wouldn't advice to focus that much into student satisfaction, as it can be misleading at times (your course may be rated high in that aspect, but you may find help to be adequate).

The course syllabus is different, so i'd advice you to research the modules involved in both uni and decide which one is better. Also have you went to visit each department to see if its to your liking.

I've checked the modules, and it's pretty much the same except for KCL goes a bit into more depths for certain modules than Kent. Also although Kent has a far lower entry requirements, do not underestimate the course (I've experienced this during first semester). A Maths degree is hard everywhere.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.