Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long do you have to accept an offer for a Masters? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me how long we have to accept an offer for a Masters course once it's been given? I'm waiting to hear back from Manchester, but while I've been waiting I've relooked at a similar course at Leeds which looks terrific.

So if, for example, Manchester came back today with an offer and I've not yet applied to Leeds, would I have a matter of days to accept, or weeks or months?

Maybe each Uni is different and I've looked everywhere on both their sites to find the answer, but I can't.

ReputationRep:
    It will be a matter of months at this early stage and even then it's not typically a hard deadline (except for the purpose of accommodation).

There is of course nothing stopping you from accepting a Manchester offer while you wait for Leeds and then cancelling the former.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I think it probably is different for each university. I had an offer from Queen Mary which contained a clause meaning I had to accept or reject within one month of the offer being given. I'm still waiting to hear back from Leeds and King's College, but I emailed both of those and they said that even if I accept an offer elsewhere they will still consider my application as per usual - there is no communication between universities.

I think if your offer doesn't have a similar clause then you could just email the admissions office to be on the safe side.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Debsadac)
    To be honest I didn't think of accepting the offer and then cancelling it should I need to, so thank you!
    That's the normal process, accept everything until you have answers from the combination of courses that enable you to make your best decision. Then go back and decline everything else.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Debsadac)
    To be honest I didn't think of accepting the offer and then cancelling it should I need to, so thank you!
    They will be quite used to you looking at other courses. You can ask them if there is a deadline. It would normally say on the offer how long, plus you could ask the other course. I would only accept and cancel as a last resort as that just creates hassle.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.