Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Opinion on the gender pronouns movement? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What are your thoughts on the increased use of 'gender fluid' and 'gender neutral' pronouns? Do you think it will eventually become normalised to care about peoples individual preference?

Also, people who ask to be called "xe or ze" will society pander to this?

My lecturer ends his emails with "(pronouns: they/them/their)" and avoids calling people either he or she?

I want to understand it but honestly I just see this as a bunch of special snowflakes trying to be different by creating their own ****. Where did "xe" even come from?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I've already given my opinion on this, but I shall say it again for those in the back; I'll use the appropriate pronoun for the person, but I still find it a tad pointless.

ReputationRep:
    A few people taking themselves too seriously, and a few more indulging them; is not a movement.

ReputationRep:
    Pointless time wasting drivel.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I'll honour he and she as the person wishes; beyond that, I'm not on that ting :nope:

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't actively hurt anyone so why not?

ReputationRep:
    He/She/Xe (cause that's been one for a very long time) are fine, otherwise you're just being whiney.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I think it just bs.
    If you are transgender, I'll address you by the social construct according to the gender you would like to be assigned to. (This would only happen if you look very much like what you say you are).
    Otherwise gtfo

ReputationRep:
    seems like more right wingers get more shouty about it than actual advocates.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't inconvenience me to use a person's correct pronouns. It's their life and I have no wish to cause them distress, much like I wish them to leave me alone in my life and be kind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.