The Student Room Group

May announces hard Brexit - £ surges

On its way to its biggest intraday gain since 2008.

Don't think you will be hearing abput that much on the anti Brexit, biased BBC. :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

[scrollr]go the £[/scrollr]
Reply 2
Original post by astutehirstute
On its way to its biggest intraday gain since 2008.

Don't think you will be hearing abput that much on the anti Brexit, biased BBC. :biggrin:

They are trying so hard to keep it a secret, what with a headline about the pound rising being their third front page headline.
our plucky bulldog £ has shown those effeminate so called Euros what a real currency is like :angry:
Then you obviously dont look at the front page

The pound has strengthened after Prime Minister Theresa May outlined her plans to take the UK out of the EU.
Sterling rose sharply when Mrs May started speaking and continued to surge, up 2.4% against the dollar for the day at $1.2332.
Against the euro, it added 1.5% to reach 1.1528 euros.
At the same time, the benchmark FTSE 100 share index, which was already in negative territory, fell further to stand 0.76% lower at 7,271.57.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38650529

I wouldnt get carried away over one days trading, still a long way to go before it reyrns to the $1.50 level it was before the referendum.
I think this is a bigger surprise than Leicester winning the Premier League :wink:

or perhaps not. It's probably only because the PM said she will let Parliament vote on her plan.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by shawn_o1
I think this is a bigger surprise than Leicester winning the Premier League :wink:

😂😂
Reply 7
Yes, the pound has definitely surged, all the way from $1.20 to a whopping $1.23. Fantastic news, but seeing as it was up at $1.49 before the referendum, I wouldn't crack out the champagne just yet.
Original post by Dez
Yes, the pound has definitely surged, all the way from $1.20 to a whopping $1.23. Fantastic news, but seeing as it was up at $1.49 before the referendum, I wouldn't crack out the champagne just yet.

You Remoaners can't ever stop the anti Brexit, talk down your own country spinning can you? :biggrin:

This is the biggest one day rise in nearly a decade!
Reply 9
You Remoaners can't ever stop the anti Brexit, talk down your own country spinning can you? :biggrin:

Does that change the fact that it dropped so significantly since brexit?
Reply 10
It's such a minor market response, brexiters have learnt to get impressed over the smallest things because theyre facing a wave of disappointment lmao
Original post by 999tigger
Then you obviously dont look at the front page

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38650529

I wouldnt get carried away over one days trading, still a long way to go before it reyrns to the $1.50 level it was before the referendum.

Typical BBC spin.

The headline is "Pound gains but FTSE falls"

No mention up until then that the FTSE was at record levels. Some profit taking is given an equivalence to a record breaking day for sterling. The extraordinary extent of which is not mentioned.

Same old anti Brexit, biased BBC. Always lying!
Reply 12

Original post by remoaner
It's such a minor market response, brexiters have learnt to get impressed over the smallest things because theyre facing a wave of disappointment lmao

What wave of disappointment would that be? The best growth rate in the G7 maybe?
Typical BBC spin.

The headline is "Pound gains but FTSE falls"

No mention up until then that the FTSE was at record levels. Some profit taking is given an equivalence to a record breaking day for sterling. The extraordinary extent of which is not mentioned.

Same old anti Brexit, biased BBC. Always lying!

You are being really pathetic. It is one days trading.

The headline is factual, why do you need any spin on it?

Here look get excited.

£ short.PNG
Reply 15
What wave of disappointment would that be? The best growth rate in the G7 maybe?

We have not left the EU yet. Let's see if there's growth once we leave the market which accounts for 50% of our trade.
Does that change the fact that it dropped so significantly since brexit?

It was overvalued before, it corrected too sharply, now it is undervalued.

You do realise that the price of sterling is controlled by currency speculators, right?

What fell will eventually rise when they cover their short?
Reply 17

You do realise that the price of sterling is controlled by currency speculators, right?

This is directly contradictory to your overjoy of seeing the pound strengthen by a couple of cents. Which reinforces my first point which is that brexiters get excited over the smallest and most negligible things. So out of touch.

Thanks for that, you played yourself : ))))))))

If its all down to just speculators, then why are you banging on about a rise? Wouldnt that all just be specualtion?
This is directly contradictory to your overjoy of seeing the pound strengthen by a couple of cents. Which reinforces my first point which is that brexiters get excited over the smallest and most negligible things. So out of touch.

Thanks for that, you played yourself : ))))))))

No, I am just intellectually honest.

It is a Leave trait. You Remoaners and your friends in the BBC and the Guardian
are the liars and spinners. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest