Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can't fully adjust to new social situation Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm in my first year and do like university, I've got used to cooking, cleaning, got myself a job etc. so I feel like I'm mostly adjusted to university life.

However I still think I'm struggling socially, not helped by the fact I was really shaky and just felt like my head wasn't completely there in the first few weeks which probably affected me making friends as I'd forget to reply to people, not reach out to others etc. and I wouldn't fully be myself because I just didn't feel settled which is all completely my fault.

However now I have settled into university, I'm just wondering how I could meet new people/be more confident. I have a few good friends and I get along with my flatmates and coursemates however back home, I have a really massive group of friends I've known for years and I really miss this. There's so many different personalities at university that I'm just not used to but it's getting me down because I always see people with massive groups of friends who they can't wait to see and I'm struggling to find a group like this.

Like I said, I get along with my coursemates but I feel like they already have their own best friends and it's quite scary to just ask for an invite out with them or invite an entire group of people out haha.

I have a friend who always invites me out with her other friends (who I'm living with next year) so it's not like I have no social life but it would be nice to get a few tips on how to be more confident with people and know where to find new like-minded people to make friends with.

In terms of what I like doing, I'm into charity and volunteering, love going on nights out and am quite similar to the typical university student.

ReputationRep:
    just get involved - join as many societies as possible, join action/rag

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.