Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Body anxious teens avoid PE - do you? Watch

• View Poll Results: Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
    Yes
    42.74%
    No
    57.26%

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I've always felt very self conscious when doing PE but then again i never bunked off i'd either do something i liked such as dance or racket sports or do something else. However i have to admit i rarely did anything in yr11 since the teachers didn't care anymore so me and my friends would sit on the sports hall steps and just talk :rofl:
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I hated PE because at a young age I was singled out for a reason which is so stupid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Corbynista)
    Did you take the note to the doctors to find out why it was sick?
    I was *sick* (totally awesome) ..
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    not if they identify as fat
    i identity as a fat obese woman who struggles to get out of bed

ReputationRep:
    I used to love doing pe because of the sport but hated it because it made me feel so body conscious it was horrible 😬 I still did it though.

ReputationRep:
    Not personally but I think it will help if we all supported each other , especially at the gym . We all gotta start somewhere , and it doesn't help when people make fun of someone who is at the beginning of their journey (perhaps a little overweight ). At least they are doing something to change their life.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

So not a hot blonde or brunette then?
    I identify as a 300kg fat obese half brunette half blonde hot woman who struggles to get out of bed
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Except your profile says you are male...
    I'm genderfluid
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amusing Elk)
    That's a completely different kettle of fish. When people take photos of themselves, they tend to be a lot more in control of how they appear these days with filters and other means of embellishment.
    Hmmmm this sounds similar to something I said to you the other day
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    It's a yes and no for me. I never had an issue when I was in secondary school as I was always really active and I wasn't really conscious of my body as, not because I was super into the way I looked, it just never crossed my mind. However, when I went to college and stop doing as much exercise, I put on weight (also because there was an amazing bakery around the corner which I went to on the reg). Once I had noticed the change in my body, I wanted to start going to the gym, but was embarrassed of my body and was worried that people would look at me as my confidence was really quite low (bit of a catch 22 really). About a year or so later, I just thought, screw it and I started going to the gym, only to release, nobody cared that I was a bit chubby and no one was laughing at me.

Honestly, the gym can be a daunting place and taking that first leap can be scary, but once you go you realise, nobody cares whether your "perfect" or not.

ReputationRep:
    I hate PE because teachers are too demanding during my class and you can't do as per your capabilities. Today itself teachers were forcing me to do some exercises I knew would be hard and I ended up almost shouting at him and said "You can't force us to do something beyond our capacity "

ReputationRep:
    I was able to wear tracksuit bottoms so I didn't feel as conscious about my legs so no I never skipped a lesson.

But the only real reason why I hated pe in school was the fact that I got put into a class with the popular *****y girls who would constantly judge you whether it was about how you look or how **** you were at pe.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    At school I was conscious, yeah. Not from being overweight, although I do feel "fat" (which I shouldn't), I just have a severe lack of confidence in my body shape and how I look, which is ridiculous in itself. I have a decent waist, but bloody huge wide hips. Why God?

I'm badly scarred from acne, and at school, none of the other girls seemed to get it as bad as me. I was the first in my year to get a period, for I had it before I even went to grammar school, and the first to be hit with acne. So when all the other girls were changing, I would take my shirt off under my jumper, put my PE top on over my jumper, and then tug my jumper down to make sure that no one could see my bad skin.

Sounds complicated, I know, but I did it for 7 years. I rarely skipped PE, unless a music lesson got in the way, but I hated PE at school. We always did the same stuff over and over, it wasn't particularly motivating.

I still lack confidence now, at uni, but it has grown. I gym 4 times a week now, and I have fallen in love with exercising. With all the medications I've put my poor body through since 2015, my weight has yoyo-ed like nuts (lowest was 50kg, I'm at my highest of 66kg right now), but going to the gym means that I've faced some fears. I shower there now and I don't wind myself up so much if someone catches sight of my skin when I go to change. I've put on muscle, I feel stronger and leaner. I don't think I will ever be able to be fully confident in how I look, but at least I'm healthy.

I'm also receiving phototherapy for my skin, but I've only had a few sessions and my skin has actually deteriorated since starting it 2 weeks ago No vest gym tops for a while for me!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    So, I just bit the bullet and went today... wahoo!! :woo: I feel great

I think I've devised a way to do it and actually stick to it... whereas I used to walk to uni (about 20 mins each way), I'd then use that as an excuse of not needing to go to the gym... So, now, on days where I can work it in, I'm going to drive to uni, and then drive onto the gym from there.. this will depend on what I have during the day as the free parking near the uni is only really for 2 hours, and I prefer to go around lunchtime rather than later on, so I'm gonna try this, and hopefully it'll go well!

CheeseIsVeg GO TO THE GYM :fuhrer:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    So, I just bit the bullet and went today... wahoo!! :woo: I feel great

I think I've devised a way to do it and actually stick to it... whereas I used to walk to uni (about 20 mins each way), I'd then use that as an excuse of not needing to go to the gym... So, now, on days where I can work it in, I'm going to drive to uni, and then drive onto the gym from there.. this will depend on what I have during the day as the free parking near the uni is only really for 2 hours, and I prefer to go around lunchtime rather than later on, so I'm gonna try this, and hopefully it'll go well!

CheeseIsVeg GO TO THE GYM :fuhrer:
    The effort though :rofl:
    Well done though Mobbsy :hugs: Proud of you :rofl:
    My best friend just started going as well! The pressure
    I just don't know :hide:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    The effort though :rofl:
    Well done though Mobbsy :hugs: Proud of you :rofl:
    My best friend just started going as well! The pressure
    I just don't know :hide:
    Tb if your best friend is starting to go, best time is to start going with them so yu motivate each other!! Come on doooooo it

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see what the problem is. Back in my day we all used to enjoy going out for a bit of a kick about - even the fat ones. Sure beat sitting in a stuffy classroom listening to far-left teachers rambling on about nonsense anyway. And when we were finished we let it all hang out in the shower with no problems whatsoever.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Tb if your best friend is starting to go, best time is to start going with them so yu motivate each other!! Come on doooooo it
    No but her nearest gym is so far away from me
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    No but her nearest gym is so far away from me
    Ahh yeh that's very annoying tbf!!! Need to find one close to you so it ain't so much effort !
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Ahh yeh that's very annoying tbf!!! Need to find one close to you so it ain't so much effort !
    yeah :sigh:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.