The Student Room Group

PLEASE HELP. Should I quit uni?

Hi :smile:

I'm in my first year at uni and I have to go back for my second term tomorrow, except I hate it there and I just can't imagine going back.

The work is really hard and I can hardly keep up, and I haven't been able to finish my holiday work because I was depressed the whole holiday (I've suffered from low moods my whole life).

I've told my tutor I haven't done it all and she is really annoyed at me. I've been to a counselling session but I just can't get other the fact that I have no excuse as to why I didn't do the work and I'm just using up a space at the uni for someone who could actually be good at it.

I have made no friends at all (probably my fault) and now I've quit all the societies I was in so I have more time to work.

I really want to quit but I worked really hard to get in, and I don't know what I'll do instead.

Any thoughts even negative are appreciated. Thanks
What degree are you doing?

Don't think that "because you haven't made friends" your time in uni will suck. There are thousands of people with all sorts of backgrounds, likely, some in a similar situation to you who you can still meet. University, unlike school offers social freedom, that shouldn't be a concern.

Just chill-erino. Meditate or something. Join a yoga class. Stop overanalysing the sentiments from your tutor & teachers and try to re-evaluate what you are capable of doing and not capable of doing to resolve any missed deadlines.

Its only the first year too, remind yourself that it doesn't count for much but should be a strong guide and platform to build new habits for the harder years.

remember, these difficult times, regardless of their context or circumstance allow us to shape stronger future habits and ambitions more than ever.
Reply 2
Original post by Balabanator
What degree are you doing?

Don't think that "because you haven't made friends" your time in uni will suck. There are thousands of people with all sorts of backgrounds, likely, some in a similar situation to you who you can still meet. University, unlike school offers social freedom, that shouldn't be a concern.

Just chill-erino. Meditate or something. Join a yoga class. Stop overanalysing the sentiments from your tutor & teachers and try to re-evaluate what you are capable of doing and not capable of doing to resolve any missed deadlines.

Its only the first year too, remind yourself that it doesn't count for much but should be a strong guide and platform to build new habits for the harder years.

remember, these difficult times, regardless of their context or circumstance allow us to shape stronger future habits and ambitions more than ever.

Thanks, reading 'chill-erino' made me laugh I'm doing maths. I think the fact that it's only the first year actually makes me worry a bit more. I'll go back and just aim to get to the end of the first week I think.
Reply 3
All I can say is get help. My son did exactly what you did and hid in his room for the entire 2nd term, didn't go to lectures etc. Crucially he didn't get help so when he failed everything his tutor and course admin had no indication there was a problem. He had to leave as he was too far behind.
The counsellors should be able to advise how to proceed. It may be best to defer for a year to get yourself together, they will know the options open to you.
Mainly don't panic and ask for help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There should be a mentorship program in your university, go ask around. There should be one. Make friends! They can be helpful as well. KEEP STRONG! You got this!
Original post by Studentpi
Hi :smile:

I'm in my first year at uni and I have to go back for my second term tomorrow, except I hate it there and I just can't imagine going back.

The work is really hard and I can hardly keep up, and I haven't been able to finish my holiday work because I was depressed the whole holiday (I've suffered from low moods my whole life).

I've told my tutor I haven't done it all and she is really annoyed at me. I've been to a counselling session but I just can't get other the fact that I have no excuse as to why I didn't do the work and I'm just using up a space at the uni for someone who could actually be good at it.

I have made no friends at all (probably my fault) and now I've quit all the Iback." in particular.

I can't exactly tell you what to do but I can tell you what I did. I left (just after that Christmas) which was one of my better ideas part of growing up is being recognize when it's not working and you need to change things.

The most important thing is to have a plan this all depends on your financial situation if you have money you could go travelling or if you don't have any money you could get a job (try being holiday rep or promoter or something).Take the time to actually decide what you want to do.

I'd like to point out it might be that your just not ready and there is no shame in that. There seems to be a perception that "oh I must go to uni at 18" that couldn't be further from the truth I was 20 when i first went and even then I wasn't ready in the end i went to a different uni in a different city after working for a year and getting some savings which enabled me to go on ski trips and societys and gigs like Reading Festival ( I saw Metallica:headbang:)

it is tricky but I'd say leave and take some time to get your head straight and to decide what you want to do.

there are alternatives to uni you could work as an air steward or pilot or you could do an apprenticeship or do coaching or something.

any way my advice is quit get some funds and in that time decide what you like and want to do.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jonathanemptage
-snip-

Yeah as someone in quite similar situation to the OP, this advice is much appreciated. I'm 21 and it's my first year and I'm just not doing very well - so it's helpful to know that there are others who had similar issues to mine at a similar age and still managed to pull something off.
Original post by StormCommando
Yeah as someone in quite similar situation to the OP, this advice is much appreciated. I'm 21 and it's my first year and I'm just not doing very well - so it's helpful to know that there are others who had similar issues to mine at a similar age and still managed to pull something off.

in the end of my story I eventually got an honours degree.

Quick Reply

Latest