Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Brexit for international students Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, guys!
    I'm totally freaked out right now! I have just heard Theresa May's speech and I am really concerned about our future as international students.
    Ok, being an EU student starting this September, I will get the Tuition Free Loan, but it scares me certain matters regarding how will the life be there post-Brexit: will I be able to get a job? Will I be able to get some extra-funding for accommodation costs? Will I be discriminated or bullied?
    I'm seriously thinking about giving up on all my hopes and dreams and it's tearing me apart when thinking how can world leaders be this cruel to young people. Basically, I just want to get a degree, to get a job, pay the taxes I need to and live in peace.

Should I give up on my offer at university and maybe try considering another EU country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatalinaGF)
    Hey, guys!
    I'm totally freaked out right now! I have just heard Theresa May's speech and I am really concerned about our future as international students.
    Ok, being an EU student starting this September, I will get the Tuition Free Loan, but it scares me certain matters regarding how will the life be there post-Brexit: will I be able to get a job? Will I be able to get some extra-funding for accommodation costs? Will I be discriminated or bullied?
    I'm seriously thinking about giving up on all my hopes and dreams and it's tearing me apart when thinking how can world leaders be this cruel to young people. Basically, I just want to get a degree, to get a job, pay the taxes I need to and live in peace.

Should I give up on my offer at university and maybe try considering another EU country?
    Hysterical overreaction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    Hysterical overreaction.
    Not hysterical at all, overreaction maybe yes, but I simply don't know what to do because I'm scared.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, guys!

On behalf of this country I apologise for the intolerance we have displayed to the world.

*Incoming butthurt brexiters*

In answer to your question the process will simply change like you'd apply for a non EU uni.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, guys!

It'll be the same process as students for the other 168 countries outside the EU.

Chinese, Indian, American, Norwegian etc students manage - so will you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by remoaner)
    On behalf of this country I apologise for the intolerance we have displayed to the world.

*Incoming butthurt brexiters*

In answer to your question the process will simply change like you'd apply for a non EU uni.

Are all 168 countries that aren't in the EU intolerant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeYou2Night)
    Are all 168 countries that aren't in the EU intolerant?
    Did all 168 countries exit the EU with one of the main reasons being immigration?

ReputationRep:
    Did all 168 countries exit the EU with one of the main reasons being immigration?

Did everyone who voted Brexit vote based on immigration? No

ReputationRep:
    Did everyone who voted Brexit vote based on immigration? No
    Does that mean we have not displayed intolerance to the world? No
    • Very Important Poster

Hey, guys!

1. You funding will be available for the length of your degree.
    2. Will you be able to get a job? You mean during Uni or after? During, then yes. After? its down to negotiations as to what people are allowed to do. All that is to be decided. Imo its likely there will be recirpocal arrangements with countries we get on well with.
    3. Extra funding for acommodation? Only unless you have been a resident in the UK for 5 years, otherwise its course fees only, but its always been like that as far as I know. Unis do have bursaries which you might be able to apply for.
    4. Will you be discriminated against or bullied? No imo. Unis will have at least 5% EU students and probably another 15-25% international students, so they form a signifcant proportion of total uni students. Its a new country for you, but many thousands come to study and id be very surprised if you faced any sort of hostility. Quite the opposite.

5. The leaders are just reflecting the fact the referendum voted to leave. Its hard being caught up in all of this, but if plenty of Euro leaders hadnt been so arrogant and made some consessions, the the vote would have gone another way. The UK has a problem with immigration at the moment and nobody listened.
    6. Your right to work here and get a job automatically will now fall down to any bilaterla agreement or what is negotiated. I suspect you might be allowed to stay if you can show you have a job, but its all to be decided. You maximise your chances if you go to a good uni or take a marketable subject.

I dont think its that much different than before the vote.

ReputationRep:
    Not hysterical at all, overreaction maybe yes, but I simply don't know what to do because I'm scared.
    Not hysterical?

The idea that you're considering giving up on your hopes and dreams? That you are afraid of being bullied or harassed? On what basis would you think any of these things are going to be true?

Currently, about 100,000 students come to the UK from China. That's more than pretty much the entire EU put together. Spain with ten times the population of singapore, sends fewer students to the UK.

Do any of these people from non-EU countries care about any of this? No. And why should you?

ReputationRep:
    Does that mean we have not displayed intolerance to the world? No
    No but I'm assuming you would generalise all Brexiters as such as everyone I've spoken to you say "I apologise on behalf...." have.

ReputationRep:
    Anyway OP don't worry as what I said before and when Le Pen wins in France, the EU is finished. My prediction within a 5-10 years there will be no EU to leave or join.

ReputationRep:
    No but I'm assuming you would generalise all Brexiters as such as everyone I've spoken to you say "I apologise on behalf...." have.
    fail.

ReputationRep:
    EU is not international.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.