Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people make fun of Pokemon? Watch

ReputationRep:
    At my school (Year 10 - 13), it seems like people just make fun or don't seem to like Pokemon (thinking it's childish) when millions of people play it each year, casually, competitively, etc. I sometimes play it during break and lunch and when walking down the hallway, I hear people making bad remarks about me holding a 3ds in my hands or playing Pokemon Sun. I even have my own little Pokemon group in school (5 people) in my year and we sometimes trade/battle each other. And the only way most people know about it is Pokemon Go (therefore, only knowing Gen 1). Also, it seems as though most people only know very few pokemon like Pikachu or Charizard. Why do most people just not like Pokemon or make fun of people who play it?

ReputationRep:
    They're just salty they can never catch a Mew

ReputationRep:
    It was supposed to be confined to gamers' paradise; Niantic turned it into a trend bigger than twitter (and restored Nintendo's coffers too )

ReputationRep:
    Because they are close-minded - thinking it is only for children and not realize someone of any age can enjoy something.

Nintendo games have a negative rep too. But sure COD is cool.

ReputationRep:
    It is for 2 year olds, and they should have grown out of it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Makes me go angry when people make fun of pikachu !

ReputationRep:
    I imagine most people just see it at face value (catching little monsters), and don't realise that there's actually a complex competitive element to it as well, or the more adult-orientated implications of a lot of events (such as the Kanto War, some pokedex entries, other theories etc.)

ReputationRep:
    Jealousy. Bet they don't even know the rare candy cheat... losers

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I play it at college at perfectly fine. No one seems to care.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of them probably do like it. They pretend not to, because they're afraid of the reaction they will receive if they're honest. A lot of kids love to pretend that they're older than they are.

Pokemon is extremely popular with young kids and older adults. It was popular when a lot of now adults were at school and they still like it to this day.

Don't worry about what some of the kids at your school say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedManc)
    No such thing. The people who say this are some of the most dull and boring people i've ever met. You're never too old (or young) to enjoy anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheExtrovertGod)
    No such thing. The people who say this are some of the most dull and boring people i've ever met. You're never too old (or young) to enjoy anything.
    People who like pokemon are soft people.

ReputationRep:
    Why? Because it sucks. Pokemon is overrated and Pokemon Go is an awful game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Corbynista)
    Lol troll

SO because Pokemon Go is in your eyes an awful game that means the whole franchise sucks? I bet you don't even know the first thing about Pokemon and that is why you are so bitter.
    Actually I've played Pokemon and haven't had a good experience with it. I didn't like it then and I still don't like it now. Its an idiotic franchise which should not be as popular as it is now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedManc)
    Will be 24 this September and I'm a proud Pokemonista. Not Pokemon GO, I found it boring but Pokemon in general = <3.

ReputationRep:
    I find it funny how people say Pokemon is a kids game since I've only seen older teens and adults play the handheld games.

ReputationRep:
    MTG master race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Corbynista)
    Firstly, Pokemon is so much more than a game. Secondly, what game did you play? Thirdly, what was your negative experience with it?
    The game I played was Pokemon Colosseum. The reason why I've always had a negative view on Pokemon is because of this one reason... Christmas Day 2006. My mum fell ill and had to be taken to hospital. This was early in the day which meant that most of my day was spent in the hospital ward. The nurses there took me took a room which I had all to myself. In the room was a Nintendo Gamecube and two games: 1080° Avalanche and Pokemon Colosseum. I had to spend almost the entire night there playing those two awful games. After that event ended, I viewed Pokemon as the worst video game franchise I've ever seen. Whenever I even think about Pokemon it always brings back negative imagery because of the incident. So even if I wanted to like Pokemon, I can't because the past is too strong.

ReputationRep:
    They believe that Pokemon is played by a certain "type" of person, and want to make it clear to the world that they are not that type.

That's why anybody frowns upon or makes fun of pretty much anything, be it listening to Justin Bieber music ("it's for tweens"), watching Keeping up with the Kardashians ("it's for bimbos"), dressing in sports branded clothing ("it's for chavs"), speaking in a local accent/dialect ("it's for the less wealthy/educated")...

People with insecurities, self-image issues, a desperate desire to fit into a particular category, or who are simply going through an adolescent/mid-life crisis might be particular susceptible to this. But it applies to everybody. (You might notice I'm doing precisely the same thing in this post :p:).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I liked the gaming concept: catching your monsters, train and evolve them to become the best trainer in the game. It is simple, but very nice. As there are so many different pokemons with different types, strengths and weaknesses, you as a trainer have to choice your pokemons which fits to you best carefully.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.