The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Keele university

Ive received an offer to study psychology with counselling at Keele in September 2017, but because it's so close to my home I'm deciding to commute to and from Keele uni each day. However I do plan on spending a lot of time at uni and using home as a "base", not in Keele accommodation. I'll be joining societies etc and obviously have my classes where I'll meet people - however I'm curious if this is a bad decision? I've heard it might be hard to make friends which is putting me off a little since that's a large part of uni life - Any opinions? 😛😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in my first year at Keele, living on campus, however a friend of mine who is on my course lives off campus in her family home. As far as I can tell, she has had no trouble making friends, so I wouldn't worry too much! You're bound to find people you get on with in your lectures and the societies you join, just be sure to talk to as many people as you can!

Myself and a couple of other classmates also set up a course chat on Facebook before starting, and it helped us to get to know each other a bit before we started, which therefore helped with making friends, so that's one thing I would recommend doing. It has more than 30 of us in it now, and it allows us to keep in touch and help each other out with the work too :h:
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 2
Alright! Thankyou! I generally don't shut up I can talk for Britain so no worries there 😂 Thankyou though, that was a definitely the biggest worry for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Leviathan1741
I'm in my first year at Keele, living on campus, however a friend of mine who is on my course lives off campus in her family home. As far as I can tell, she has had no trouble making friends, so I wouldn't worry too much! You're bound to find people you get on with in your lectures and the societies you join, just be sure to talk to as many people as you can!

Myself and a couple of other classmates also set up a course chat on Facebook before starting, and it helped us to get to know each other a bit before we started, which therefore helped with making friends, so that's one thing I would recommend doing. It has more than 30 of us in it now, and it allows us to keep in touch and help each other out with the work too :h:

Hi, I'm thinking of studying at keele. Can you tell me what you think its like studying at Keele and if you think its boring (e.g on the weekends, nightlife etc) as I'm a bit concerned about this. Thanks!
Original post by Pn2020
Hi, I'm thinking of studying at keele. Can you tell me what you think its like studying at Keele and if you think its boring (e.g on the weekends, nightlife etc) as I'm a bit concerned about this. Thanks!

Hiya! I enjoy studying at Keele, I like the fact that all the teaching buildings are so close and it's easy to get around. Because Keele is a bit out of the way, there is also little traffic noise etc so the environment is tranquil and relaxed a lot of the time.

I personally don't go on nights out very often as it's not really my thing, but I do regularly attend the socials for a society called KRAP, which is Keele's society for students who like rock and metal music. There are always events happening at the Student's Union, with music, comedy and so on, and events are put on regularly by clubs and societies as well. According to my friends it's also easy to get the bus into nearby areas such as Newcastle-under-Lyme, where you can do extra shopping etc if you feel like it. Studying and living at Keele offers the best of both worlds really, it can be as relaxed or as exciting as you want it to be :smile:
Reply 5
Hiya! I enjoy studying at Keele, I like the fact that all the teaching buildings are so close and it's easy to get around. Because Keele is a bit out of the way, there is also little traffic noise etc so the environment is tranquil and relaxed a lot of the time.

I personally don't go on nights out very often as it's not really my thing, but I do regularly attend the socials for a society called KRAP, which is Keele's society for students who like rock and metal music. There are always events happening at the Student's Union, with music, comedy and so on, and events are put on regularly by clubs and societies as well. According to my friends it's also easy to get the bus into nearby areas such as Newcastle-under-Lyme, where you can do extra shopping etc if you feel like it. Studying and living at Keele offers the best of both worlds really, it can be as relaxed or as exciting as you want it to be :smile:

is the shopping good in newcastle under lyme? and as for entertainment, would you say most of the nightlife is on the campus and the rest of the entertainment is at the su? also on the weekends what do you tend to do?
Original post by Pn2020
is the shopping good in newcastle under lyme? and as for entertainment, would you say most of the nightlife is on the campus and the rest of the entertainment is at the su? also on the weekends what do you tend to do?

From what I've seen after passing through briefly, there is a wide variety of shops in Newcastle-under-Lyme, and plenty of pubs as well. I would say that most of Keele's nightlife does happen on campus, mainly at the Student's Union, however trips and events off campus are also organised. On weekends I tend to complete any work I have and just relax really, my friends however often like to go out drinking and dancing at the SU, but like I said that's not something I really enjoy :smile:
Reply 7
From what I've seen after passing through briefly, there is a wide variety of shops in Newcastle-under-Lyme, and plenty of pubs as well. I would say that most of Keele's nightlife does happen on campus, mainly at the Student's Union, however trips and events off campus are also organised. On weekends I tend to complete any work I have and just relax really, my friends however often like to go out drinking and dancing at the SU, but like I said that's not something I really enjoy :smile:

Cool thanks :smile: Do you like the su for entertainment or do you think it tends to get a bit crowded? And when you get accommodation off campus in 2nd year how far is the accommodation from the campus?
Original post by Pn2020
Cool thanks :smile: Do you like the su for entertainment or do you think it tends to get a bit crowded? And when you get accommodation off campus in 2nd year how far is the accommodation from the campus?

I actually very rarely go to the SU, it tends to be very crowded and I personally don't cope very well in busy environments, plus the music they play there tends to be rap, pop etc, which really isn't my style - I'm more of a metalhead :tongue:

As far as I know the majority of off campus accommodation is fairly close to the uni, but you'd need to get the bus really, although there is some accommodation which is in walking distance. I'm hoping to stay on campus during my second year though, so I haven't looked into the off campus accommodation too much :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Pn2020

The nightlife in the areas around Keele does lack a bit but there's a few places in Newcastle-under-lyme and 15/20mins further is Hanley which has bigger clubs and more places to go. However, most of the students go to the SU because it's really cheap and a convenient 5min walk from halls and is actually quite decent most of the time and they get some good acts to come and play. Manchester can also be really cheap to get to from Stoke station (£4 return ticket last time I went) for a night out!

Off-campus accommodation isn't far at all, most people seem to live in or around Newcastle-under-lyme which is like 15mins on the bus
Reply 10
Original post by Calicozone
Ive received an offer to study psychology with counselling at Keele in September 2017, but because it's so close to my home I'm deciding to commute to and from Keele uni each day. However I do plan on spending a lot of time at uni and using home as a "base", not in Keele accommodation. I'll be joining societies etc and obviously have my classes where I'll meet people - however I'm curious if this is a bad decision? I've heard it might be hard to make friends which is putting me off a little since that's a large part of uni life - Any opinions? 😛😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

IMO I would spend first year living on campus just because it's really fun and you will make a lot of friends, I know some people who live locally and have made lots of mates but still wish they lived on campus in first year
Reply 11
Original post by lemxn
The nightlife in the areas around Keele does lack a bit but there's a few places in Newcastle-under-lyme and 15/20mins further is Hanley which has bigger clubs and more places to go. However, most of the students go to the SU because it's really cheap and a convenient 5min walk from halls and is actually quite decent most of the time and they get some good acts to come and play. Manchester can also be really cheap to get to from Stoke station (£4 return ticket last time I went) for a night out!

Off-campus accommodation isn't far at all, most people seem to live in or around Newcastle-under-lyme which is like 15mins on the bus

Is it a bit restricted how the closest place for entertainment is the SU or don't you really mind? And do you think the 15 min bus journey is an issue or don't you mind? Sorry for all the questions I'm just curious haha
Reply 12
Original post by Pn2020
Is it a bit restricted how the closest place for entertainment is the SU or don't you really mind? And do you think the 15 min bus journey is an issue or don't you mind? Sorry for all the questions I'm just curious haha

Sometimes I wish there was more than the SU but I like it because everyone there is a student. There's also a bar for every halls of residence (lindsay has a really nice one). Sometimes me and my friends go to Fiction in Hanley which is quite big but still prefer the SU! Carnage also happens twice a year which is basically a chance for everyone to go out in Hanley from Keele and Staffs and do a tour of some of the bars and clubs which is fun

I won't be living off campus until September but I don't see the bus becoming an issue.. you could even walk to campus from Newcastle if you fancy walking uphill on the way there!

Quick Reply

Latest