Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Coming out as trans to some of my teachers: would it spread? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I am in year 12 at school and transgender (female to male). My school is a single-sex all female school but I know that many of the teachers are not bothered by the idea of a transgender student at their school. I'm considering telling 2 or 3 of my teachers that I would prefer to be called by my male name and he/him pronouns during class, but I'm worried that if I told some teachers, it would spread to ALL of my teachers and I really don't want them all to find out. Also, my parents don't know, so I'm not sure whether its too risky to tell some teachers, in case they accidentally OR on purpose tell my parents.

Has anyone got any advice, or ever come out to teachers at school as trans? I'm not looking for people to tell me that I shouldn't rush into 'changing my gender' or whatever, and if you have a problem with trans people then please don't reply; I'm only looking for advice on this one issue.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Technically they're not allowed to tell others because they're expected to keep this sort of information confidential.

ReputationRep:
    Tough one, as I'm not sure what schools should have to do in this situation...especially considering it's all-female.

Certain members of staff may have to be informed, and it may be policy to inform the parents. Why haven't you discussed this with them?

ReputationRep:
    This kind of information spreads very quickly, I wouldn't recommend you went through with this.

ReputationRep:
    If the teachers are gonna call you by a male name and he/him pronouns, then it will probably spread because the whole class will hear it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H1413)
    Hi everyone, I am in year 12 at school and transgender (female to male). My school is a single-sex all female school but I know that many of the teachers are not bothered by the idea of a transgender student at their school. I'm considering telling 2 or 3 of my teachers that I would prefer to be called by my male name and he/him pronouns during class, but I'm worried that if I told some teachers, it would spread to ALL of my teachers and I really don't want them all to find out. Also, my parents don't know, so I'm not sure whether its too risky to tell some teachers, in case they accidentally OR on purpose tell my parents.

Has anyone got any advice, or ever come out to teachers at school as trans? I'm not looking for people to tell me that I shouldn't rush into 'changing my gender' or whatever, and if you have a problem with trans people then please don't reply; I'm only looking for advice on this one issue.

Thanks
    If teachers call you male pronouns in class then everyone will know anyway.
    Anyone call tell everyone everything and it will spread.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried a trans support group online? I understand not wanting to tell your parents straight away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritSharD)
    Tough one, as I'm not sure what schools should have to do in this situation...especially considering it's all-female.

Certain members of staff may have to be informed, and it may be policy to inform the parents. Why haven't you discussed this with them?
    Do you mean why haven't I discussed this with my parents, or with my teachers? If its with my parents, its because they'd be angry and wouldn't upset me, and if its my teachers, its because I'm worried they'll tell others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mediaya)
    If the teachers are gonna call you by a male name and he/him pronouns, then it will probably spread because the whole class will hear it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My classmates already know I'm trans, so it would be okay if they heard me being called by a male name and pronouns because that's what most of them call me already

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyTwistedWorld)
    Have you tried a trans support group online? I understand not wanting to tell your parents straight away
    Thank you, and yes I am on a support group online

Thanks everyone for your advice and for being honest haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H1413)
    My classmates already know I'm trans, so it would be okay if they heard me being called by a male name and pronouns because that's what most of them call me already
    oh okay i thought you meant that you didnt want your classmates to know
    so you dont want all your teachers to know then?

ReputationRep:
    no, I don't think the transsexuality would spread to your teachers

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I work in a boys secondary school, and always have huge respect for our boys who come out as gay/trans. One of my very best days at work was being able to support a Y12 boy-to-girl trans who got a grant from the school to buy new, feminine school clothes for sixth form. We hit the shops, and she looked so much happier afterwards. It was wonderful. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you will find people who will understand and support you, and inevitably also those that may give you a hard time. It is the same with any issue, throughout life. Good luck, be brave, and go for it. Chances are the staff already know - we hear a huge amount that we don't let on, y'know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akd2017)
    Hi
    I work in a boys secondary school, and always have huge respect for our boys who come out as gay/trans. One of my very best days at work was being able to support a Y12 boy-to-girl trans who got a grant from the school to buy new, feminine school clothes for sixth form. We hit the shops, and she looked so much happier afterwards. It was wonderful. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you will find people who will understand and support you, and inevitably also those that may give you a hard time. It is the same with any issue, throughout life. Good luck, be brave, and go for it. Chances are the staff already know - we hear a huge amount that we don't let on, y'know
    Wow, that's really so cool of you and the school, I bet she had loads of fun Thank you! And yes, I'm sure a lot of members of staff have guessed or know...If you don't mind me asking, as a teacher, do you think that a student would be able to come out to some teachers but not others, without all of the teachers finding out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akd2017)
    Hi
    Got a grant from the school to buy clothes?!

ReputationRep:
    by the way, if anyone's looking at this thread because they're in a similar situation, you might want to know that I did come out to a teacher and it turned out she already knew, and she was completely supportive and said she won't tell my parents or other teachers. So now I have a teacher who calls me by the right name and pronouns, and also an adult who I can talk to about things So it worked out well

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.