The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Anyone else doing Immunology at Glasgow?

Hey,
I got an offer for immunology at Glasgow and I'm really excited about it.

I'm definitely nervous aboout starting uni, what should I expect from this course and uni in general.

Is anyone else thinking of doing immunology?
Reply 1
HI I have also applied for immunology not head anything yet.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Got an email the other day saying that they wont look at my application until mid march as ive only got the minimum grades and not the typical. If you don't mind me asking what grades did you get?
Original post by student3005
Got an email the other day saying that they wont look at my application until mid march as ive only got the minimum grades and not the typical. If you don't mind me asking what grades did you get?

Sorry for my shocking reply time :/.
I got two A's and four B's in fifth year.
(not sure if this is relevant but I'm also sitting three AH's this year)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Valkyrie-Cain
Sorry for my shocking reply time :/.
I got two A's and four B's in fifth year.
(not sure if this is relevant but I'm also sitting three AH's this year)

Hmmm. I'm just trying to figure out why I've got to wait for an offer. I got 2As 3Bs last year but im only sitting 2Ahs, maybe your personal statement was really good or they liked you having 6highers? Just waiting impatiently for my offer haha
Original post by student3005
Hmmm. I'm just trying to figure out why I've got to wait for an offer. I got 2As 3Bs last year but im only sitting 2Ahs, maybe your personal statement was really good or they liked you having 6highers? Just waiting impatiently for my offer haha

Hmm.. I'm not sure what it'll be but yeah the wait is awful. Good luck!!
Hi, congraturation to be a student at the university of glasgow!
I am a Ph.D. student but I did my master degree in immunology related subject thus, I may share my positive experience with you.
Generally, lectures and researchers are very qualified. Very broad ranges of research areas and they are working with other fields very actively!
Thus, you are able to have various and exciting experience in not only immunology but also other biology parts.
Please do not feel nervous! All staff at the university are supportive if you ask or need :smile:

-J.Kwon
Hi!
I'm currently in my 2nd year of Immunology at Glasgow - personally, I've enjoyed the courses I've done so far, and hopefully you will too!

In 1st year you pick from a choice of three subjects, one of them being biology 1a/1b, the second being chemistry or science fundamentals - depending on whether you have higher chemistry or not, and the third is your choice- many pick psychology, but I decided to go with maths. It's definitely a bit of a step up from school, but it's a manageable step up. The biology course will consist of all subjects within the school of life science from anatomy to zoology.

I know that 2nd year is being changed from what it was for me, so I think you get another basic biology skills course in semester 1? Don't hold me to that though. This should give you room to pick another subject, and I'd assume most would pick chemistry. Then I think in semester 2 you pick from your pre-requisite biology courses, for you it'll be Microbiology and Immunology, I believe. Mine was very different, but I had six exams this semester so the new change up I think should help get rid of that! As well as this, you will either be able to continue with the 2nd semester of the non-biology subject you picked in the 1st semester, or you can pick another biology course, which would make you eligible to pick it for honours. I did human biology so I could put pharmacology for my back up course.

At the end of 2nd year, you fill out a web form saying what degree you want to do, and what you would want to do if you can't get your first place - this is rare, the immunology requirements this year were BCC in the prereq courses, so we're not as competitive as other degrees.

In 3rd year, you do full immunology- 2 courses over the 2 semesters with exams in April. The first I believe is the basics of immunology- B cell and T cell development, leukocyte types, mechanisms of non-self recognition and response etc. The second in the applications of immunology- infections and the immune response, and how pathogens try to evade it, autoimmune disease, and how to treat the diseases that arise due to this.

I'm not exactly 100% sure on how 4th year goes, but you undertake your project this year, likely to be in one of the labs in the institute of infection, immunity and inflammation. You'll also present your research at a wee weekend away thing- I've heard it's actually good fun.

My experience of Immunology so far has been great. The course we did this year was well structured, well supported and extremely interesting. In 1st year, I wondered if I would have been better off with another course, but after studying it I was sold, so don't go to change too quickly if 1st year isn't your cup of tea. One of the coordinators for 3rd year is my adviser, and he's very quick on the ball, supportive and helpful, so I assume he's the same for the course. When I contacted the 4th year coordinator, he was the same, so I assume it's the same for all of them.

All in all, I highly recommend the immunology course here. Good luck with your exams!

Quick Reply