Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else having the problem I'm having?

All be it, I'm only in year 12 and some people say I'm thinking too ahead of myself, but so many others around me have their brains set on what they want to do in the future i.e. medicine. Yet, I'm doing A-levels and are currently studying Eng lit, Psychology and Biology, I got great GCSE grades with most A*s and predicted A/Bs in all my A-levels yet I can't for the life of me figure out what career/degree I want to go into (I'm pretty sure on going to uni). I of course want a well paying job which I know I shouldn't think about too much, but as I am capable of getting good grades, and a fun job, I've looked everywhere online and have spoken to my career advisors and every time I see a job for example on prospectus, I just think 'boring' and I just don't want a job like that which I immediately think is boring. Some degrees ideas I've had, what is everyones opinion on the prospects on a job afterwards, the pay, the fun-scale: Biology (or degree in Forensic Science however many say Biology is better as its more academic, as my top job ever would be a scene of the crime officer as everything about it interests... however, which I know is extremely competitive - is it worth it?), English Literature/Journalism (I've always liked the idea of working within a magazine company i.e. fitness since I'm mad about it and I'm passionate for it, however is this realistic, jobs wise etc?), Zoology (for example a zoo keeper as I've a passion for animals, but I know I shouldn't say this, but the pay is bad so I guess not down that route, I've also looked into veterinary nursing and again pay doesn't look great). Apologies for the amount of writing in this post... But I'm also afraid of if I did do for example a Bio or eng lit degree @ Uni, that I'll get bored/it's too hard and not what I expected - which I'm sure will not be the case anyway...

To anyone whose read all this, any thoughts/opinions on my ideas even though I do know only I can make the decision - but any advice would be appreciated, are there any alternate degrees I haven't thought about, being in my position of not being 110% set on something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clearist)
    Is anyone else having the problem I'm having?

All be it, I'm only in year 12 and some people say I'm thinking too ahead of myself, but so many others around me have their brains set on what they want to do in the future i.e. medicine. Yet, I'm doing A-levels and are currently studying Eng lit, Psychology and Biology, I got great GCSE grades with most A*s and predicted A/Bs in all my A-levels yet I can't for the life of me figure out what career/degree I want to go into (I'm pretty sure on going to uni). I of course want a well paying job which I know I shouldn't think about too much, but as I am capable of getting good grades, and a fun job, I've looked everywhere online and have spoken to my career advisors and every time I see a job for example on prospectus, I just think 'boring' and I just don't want a job like that which I immediately think is boring. Some degrees ideas I've had, what is everyones opinion on the prospects on a job afterwards, the pay, the fun-scale: Biology (or degree in Forensic Science however many say Biology is better as its more academic, as my top job ever would be a scene of the crime officer as everything about it interests... however, which I know is extremely competitive - is it worth it?), English Literature/Journalism (I've always liked the idea of working within a magazine company i.e. fitness since I'm mad about it and I'm passionate for it, however is this realistic, jobs wise etc?), Zoology (for example a zoo keeper as I've a passion for animals, but I know I shouldn't say this, but the pay is bad so I guess not down that route, I've also looked into veterinary nursing and again pay doesn't look great). Apologies for the amount of writing in this post... But I'm also afraid of if I did do for example a Bio or eng lit degree @ Uni, that I'll get bored/it's too hard and not what I expected - which I'm sure will not be the case anyway...

To anyone whose read all this, any thoughts/opinions on my ideas even though I do know only I can make the decision - but any advice would be appreciated, are there any alternate degrees I haven't thought about, being in my position of not being 110% set on something.
    I've accepted an unconditional to do Forensic science starting in September I've had a look around and there's definitely jobs in it as long as you're willing to move. I got into Lincoln with AAAB at AS level, predicted A's for A2 in biology, chemistry, psychology and sociology.
    I'd always say if there's something you're interested in, do it. At some point there will be a job in it, even if it's not until a few years after uni

ReputationRep:
    It looks like you have quite a few ideas of careers that could interest you. I'd suggest at this point you look further into them and try and get some work experience which would a) help you decide whether it's really for you and b) look good on your uni personal statement.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.