Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

As you can guess, I applied to Cambridge (for Computer Science) this year and unfortunately got rejected. I applied to Trinity College. Now I have to make a decision what do I want to do. It's important to note that I'm from Poland (Cracow). I'm in my last class of high school (A levels in 3 months).

First of all, I want to reapply to Cambridge next year. I fell in love with Cambridge when I was there, I would regret not reapplying for my whole life (especially because I know some people who reapplied successfully this year). I believe that this "gap" year can help me immensely, that I will be much more mature, with more knowledge and more preparation for Cambridge. Furthermore, I believe that it will not be as someone in other thread said: "hoping that this time they [Admissions Office] will look on the same data [my application, skills, knowledge] and draw different conclusion". I'm sure I will be much stronger candidate for Cambridge.

My first question is, how does Cambridge look at gap year? I currently have 2 options:

- Go to local university for Computer Science (AGH in Cracow - very well regarded in Poland) - because of my achievements I am guaranteed a place there; then eapply during my 1st year (and if successful - repeat 1st year in Cambridge - syllabi differ significantly so it wouldn't be redundant). Does Cambridge allow for that?

Could I mention studying in personal statement or interview? If I went to AGH, I could always say I'm on gap year. I would have time (and access) to internships that are offered for students. I also will be coming to my high school to do some compsci lectures (they think I am very passionate about it, know a lot of things, and am able to present it very well).

- Go to work. Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of jobs for people without higher education here. I could easily get a job in a place like McDonalds, but chances are very slim it would be anything about compsci. For me it is not a very bad option, just I don't know what Cambridge values more.

What would you recommend? Personally I lean towards first solution.

Second question, can I reapply to Trinity College? I know it is generally not advised to reapply to the same college, but I very much like the college itself, the people - students and staff. I also like the proffessors who are teaching compsci there.

Third question, what about PS and reference? Can I keep them mostly the same? I feel like that's the most polished part of my application, and while I surely will want to add some informations to my PS (and will have to remove some parts), I want to keep the general structure, and a lot of it. Will it pass through UCAS plagiarism check? Same issue with reference.

Lastly, do you have any tips for future reapplicant?

Thanks a lot for help!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about this but I don't believe Cambridge generally allows people studying at another university to apply to them as they don't want to appear to be stealing other students.

Also if you do reapply I would really advice against reapplying to the same college as they may built up opinions about you from your first cycle application. (Also, this is my personal opinion but I think Trinity can be especially picky with applicants, I would strongly recommend a different college).

Anyone feel free to correct me, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    So I'm kind of talking from thin air here and am not at all sure, but why don't you actually learn a coding language (Or maybe two if you're efficient) Then you can further express your life for computers and the coding aspect of computer science. (I think.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by szymon.pulut)
    Hello,
    Third question, what about PS and reference? Can I keep them mostly the same? I feel like that's the most polished part of my application, and while I surely will want to add some informations to my PS (and will have to remove some parts), I want to keep the general structure, and a lot of it. Will it pass through UCAS plagiarism check? Same issue with reference.
    !
    I think it might be an issue to use the same PS and reference because your PS will now be on record with whatever application service is used (UCAS etc) and so it will flag up as plagiarized. Also, if you want to improve your chances there should probably be a lot of new stuff that you want to mention (internships etc). Using the same PS would imply that you're the same applicant as last year, without anything new to offer

ReputationRep:
    jneill Christ's Admissions
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Most colleges will accept an application from a student enrolled at another University *outside the UK*, though it is worth checking with the Admissions Office concerned.

The records of unsuccessful applicants (including reference and personal statement) are destroyed at the end of the Round, so there is no problem with re-using the core of either of these, though you should make sure that whatever you submit next year is up-to-date.

Re-applying to the same college is generally inadvisable, but it is worth asking for feedback before you make a final decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hiq)
    I'm not sure about this but I don't believe Cambridge generally allows people studying at another university to apply to them as they don't want to appear to be stealing other students.

Also if you do reapply I would really advice against reapplying to the same college as they may built up opinions about you from your first cycle application. (Also, this is my personal opinion but I think Trinity can be especially picky with applicants, I would strongly recommend a different college).

Anyone feel free to correct me, thanks!
    I know they are picky, but I really fancy Trinity. I believe they are educated (and experienced) enough to make a good decision (offer/rejection) based on my knowledge, skills and personality. Even if they have some opinions about me (and remember them in one year), I believe that I would get the same decision in any other college.

(Original post by Jay Caz)
    So I'm kind of talking from thin air here and am not at all sure, but why don't you actually learn a coding language (Or maybe two if you're efficient) Then you can further express your life for computers and the coding aspect of computer science. (I think.)
    Well, I know couple coding languages (Java and Swift being main ones). The issue is that without having uni degree it's incredibly hard to get a job in IT field. Noone wants to hire a highschool student for a job that requires responsibility.

(Original post by hhealey13)
    I think it might be an issue to use the same PS and reference because your PS will now be on record with whatever application service is used (UCAS etc) and so it will flag up as plagiarized. Also, if you want to improve your chances there should probably be a lot of new stuff that you want to mention (internships etc). Using the same PS would imply that you're the same applicant as last year, without anything new to offer
    Yes, I know, I just phrased it poorly. I want to keep like 1/2 of my PS, because it's relevant and well written IMO, and of course want to add things like internships (or studying, or teaching).

(Original post by Christ's Admissions)
    Most colleges will accept an application from a student enrolled at another University *outside the UK*, though it is worth checking with the Admissions Office concerned.

The records of unsuccessful applicants (including reference and personal statement) are destroyed at the end of the Round, so there is no problem with re-using the core of either of these, though you should make sure that whatever you submit next year is up-to-date.

Re-applying to the same college is generally inadvisable, but it is worth asking for feedback before you make a final decision.
    Thanks a lot for your answer. Cleared up a lot Of course I will ask for Trinity's feedback (forgot to mention it).

One more question I have in my mind right now is whether I can submit additional essay as a part of my application? I know Cambridge doesn't require to submit anything additional for compsci, but I will be writing a in-depth essay on one of the topics I mention in my PS and figured this may make my application more interesting.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by szymon.pulut)
    I know they are picky, but I really fancy Trinity. I believe they are educated (and experienced) enough to make a good decision (offer/rejection) based on my knowledge, skills and personality. Even if they have some opinions about me (and remember them in one year), I believe that I would get the same decision in any other college.
    When you request your feedback it would be a good idea to mention you are considering re-applying. Unless the feedback then says otherwise it is usually a better idea to apply to a different college.

And don't forget you might be pooled and fished by another college anyway - so don't put too much store on Trinity being the "only" college for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    When you request your feedback it would be a good idea to mention you are considering re-applying. Unless the feedback then says otherwise it is usually a better idea to apply to a different college.

And don't forget you might be pooled and fished by another college anyway - so don't put too much store on Trinity being the "only" college for you.
    Thank you. Of course I accept that I might not even get offered a place in Cambridge, let alone Trinity, but I would like to just try

ReputationRep:
    Hi sorry to piggy back on this thread but i think my post might be more visible here.
    I was also rejected from cambridge this year, but for HSPS at Kings and would also like to reapply.
    I was pooled but not fished from the pool and think that I could really improve upon my application this year. My grades weren't great and i had relatively low UMS, but am now on track to get 2 or 3 A*s (in french, spanish and politics, as well as an A/A* in the extended project qualification). In a gap year I would like to work and take the A2 in a level economics ( i got an A in the AS but dropped it) and continue studying korean, which i had been doing before. Is this a bad idea, especially the bit about taking A2 economics?
    This was the feedback that i recieved.
    "The admissions office, and notably the Fellows who teach and research in the College, work hard to select those candidates who are most likely to thrive in their chosen Cambridge course. We were impressed with your academic record. You scored in the middle quintile of the admissions assessment, with an extensive, although convoluted, answer about borders and immigration. The interviewers noted that you engaged in lively discussion and were able to comfortably to answer the questions. They thought that you have potential to study the subject, but did not achieve the scores necessary to secure a place in the college, however they sent your file to the Winter Pool, where other colleges had an opportunity to review your application."
    I think, with regards to the admissions test I fell down on the essay (I bluffed it completely) and with wider reading i could do a lot better.
    what do you think? i would be very greatful for a response. Sorry about the crazy long message.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by sophia1928)
    Hi sorry to piggy back on this thread but i think my post might be more visible here.
    I was also rejected from cambridge this year, but for HSPS at Kings and would also like to reapply.
    I was pooled but not fished from the pool and think that I could really improve upon my application this year. My grades weren't great and i had relatively low UMS, but am now on track to get 2 or 3 A*s (in french, spanish and politics, as well as an A/A* in the extended project qualification). In a gap year I would like to work and take the A2 in a level economics ( i got an A in the AS but dropped it) and continue studying korean, which i had been doing before. Is this a bad idea, especially the bit about taking A2 economics?
    This was the feedback that i recieved.
    "The admissions office, and notably the Fellows who teach and research in the College, work hard to select those candidates who are most likely to thrive in their chosen Cambridge course. We were impressed with your academic record. You scored in the middle quintile of the admissions assessment, with an extensive, although convoluted, answer about borders and immigration. The interviewers noted that you engaged in lively discussion and were able to comfortably to answer the questions. They thought that you have potential to study the subject, but did not achieve the scores necessary to secure a place in the college, however they sent your file to the Winter Pool, where other colleges had an opportunity to review your application."
    I think, with regards to the admissions test I fell down on the essay (I bluffed it completely) and with wider reading i could do a lot better.
    what do you think? i would be very greatful for a response. Sorry about the crazy long message.
    If you do very well on results day, and don't mind taking a gap year with the possibility you may get a second Cambridge rejection then it's a perfectly fine strategy.

It would make sense to apply somewhere other than King's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    If you do very well on results day, and don't mind taking a gap year with the possibility you may get a second Cambridge rejection then it's a perfectly fine strategy.

It would make sense to apply somewhere other than King's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much, especially for replying so quickly!
    And yes, I would definitely apply to a different college (although Kings is great), so far I like Trinity Hall and Newnham best.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.