Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it a load of bull that you won't absorb anything after like 12am or can you actually learn effective from about 12am - 6/7am. I say this because of desperate time = desperate measures. I have an exam tomorrow not worth much (10%) so didnt really revise anything for it so have to cram everything in now. My sleeping pattern has been very messy, been sleeping around 5am waking up 8am for 9am exams. Then come home around 11am and sleep. Today I slept 5 hours after my exam so Im now really awake and won't be sleeping till atleast 8am. My exam is 2pm so Its fine, even if I get 3-4 hours of sleep.

Views? Facts? I would like to know for future also whether this is a definite avoid situation or its possible. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    wait what are you studying? GCSEs? A levels? Uni?
    whatever it is, in my opinion you're going too far. At the end of the day, your health is way more important than getting good grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animeamanda1412)
    whatever it is, in my opinion you're going too far. At the end of the day, your health is way more important than getting good grades
    I totally agree with this. This is crazy- but if you feel like you can concentrate on your exams and stay awake in them! As well as learn effectively, maybe you can pull it off. But it will have an adverse effect on your health!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how helpful this is to you but yeah
    I'd say I'm good at absorbing and remembering a lot of information quickly so cramming works for me. I don't sleep much anyway and haven't seen it affect my concentration by a noticeable amount.
    However, I would say 12-6/7 is a bit too much. Maybe 12-3am, that's what I done for my mocks and got 95%, good luck anyway and get at least some sleep.
    And i'm guessing exam ain't till about 9am+ so as you said it is tomorrow perhaps you could start from 7-12 go sleep for 6/7 hours and revise for 2 hours when you wake up to quickly go over everything you done the day before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animeamanda1412)
    Uni student - studying pharmacy.

(Original post by AdeptDz)
    I don't know how helpful this is to you but yeah
    I'd say I'm good at absorbing and remembering a lot of information quickly so cramming works for me. I don't sleep much anyway and haven't seen it affect my concentration by a noticeable amount.
    However, I would say 12-6/7 is a bit too much. Maybe 12-3am, that's what I done for my mocks and got 95%, good luck anyway and get at least some sleep.
    And i'm guessing exam ain't till about 9am+ so as you said it is tomorrow perhaps you could start from 7-12 go sleep for 6/7 hours and revise for 2 hours when you wake up to quickly go over everything you done the day before.
    Hmm alright thanks

ReputationRep:
    don't do it - you won't be able to think properly during the exam

ReputationRep:
    Why not sleep at night and revise in the day after your exam? Give yourself an hour off, then get to it. Sleep is probably one of the biggest factors in performing well in exams. I would sleep over revise any day. But revise early. There is more time than you think.

ReputationRep:
    It's more about the amount of sleep you get.

I always thought that when you sleep, your brain processes what you learned since the last sleep and kinda file it away making it easier to remember. That's why it's easier to memorise things if you try to before going to sleep, instead of in the morning.

Then there's also being tired. When you're tired, it's harder to think and remember stuff, you're more likely to make a mistake. That one everyone has experienced.

If the exam is something you find really easy then it's fine but for something harder/more important try to get at least 6-7 hours so you're properly rested.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's a 'right time' to work - different bodies work betetr at different times - but I'm pretty sure having a screwed up sleeping pattern (and usually a screwed up eating pattern alongside) will not be doing you any favours

ReputationRep:
    For me, I study best after 5pm up till 12-1am, if it's the night before the exam I won't look at anything after 7pm instead I'll go to bed early and wake up early then do light revision targeted to things I'm not comfortable with that I prepared the night before. It's never a good idea to cram unless you just know you'll get a U or rubbish grade (in mocks, if you feel that way about a real exam you're better off not going in). I crammed for every exam at GCSE and it didn't go well, I did "efficient cramming" for S1 (Maths) which was just watching YouTube videos on things I didn't know and past paper questions, helped turn a D into a B so you can cram but don't do it purposely and don't over do it

ReputationRep:
    I've certainly done it in the past simply because the stress of exams screws with my sleep pattern.

However, I would try to avoid it if possible. The human body has evolved to sleep at night so disrupted sleep patterns have an impact on memory and cognition as well as many other body processes (see circadian rhythm disruption). Best to sleep well at night if possible.

ReputationRep:
    As a general rule you want to be doing late hours for assignments as you're working towards a deadline so might need to put those extra hours in, but get up early for exams so that you don't have to wake up tired and you get a few extra hours to revise before your exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devify)
    It's more about the amount of sleep you get.

I always thought that when you sleep, your brain processes what you learned since the last sleep and kinda file it away making it easier to remember.
    ^ Basically scientifically true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aladdin818)
    Is it a load of bull that you won't absorb anything after like 12am or can you actually learn effective from about 12am - 6/7am. I say this because of desperate time = desperate measures. I have an exam tomorrow not worth much (10%) so didnt really revise anything for it so have to cram everything in now. My sleeping pattern has been very messy, been sleeping around 5am waking up 8am for 9am exams. Then come home around 11am and sleep. Today I slept 5 hours after my exam so Im now really awake and won't be sleeping till atleast 8am. My exam is 2pm so Its fine, even if I get 3-4 hours of sleep.

Views? Facts? I would like to know for future also whether this is a definite avoid situation or its possible. Thank you
    You're talking about the Circadian Rhythm, which is a personal thing and unique to each individual. There will be times of the day/night when you are most receptive to new information, most productive, drowsy etc. You need to find your own pattern and make it work for you.

For me, reading was best done in the afternoons, writing late afternoon and evenings - sometimes into the small hours. I was good for pretty much nothing before lunch except sitting in lectures and taking notes.

Definitely not BS. Mate of mine is an airline pilot and they're taught about this as a way of being aware when they're going to be least alert and most likely to make mistakes. That way, they can ensure that colleagues are aware of the need for additional vigilance.

Bottom line, give it a try and see if it works. If not, avoid in future. Wouldn't recommend it at this late stage, but needs must! Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I'm staying up late but I wouldn't do it before an exam. I'm doing it a few weeks before my exam.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.