Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I finished 6th form in 2015 and in year 13 I knew university wasn't for me at all so I didn't go (I had the grades and everything I could still go but no) I enjoyed learning but hated school, I sat in my free periods a lot debating dropping out or not but I thought I'd better stay in education.
    Now 2 years on everyone around me is either in uni or working and seems to have their life planned. Don’t get me wrong I have a job that I sort of enjoy but it’s not a ‘career’ and I’m on minuimn wage. I honestly don’t have a clue what I want to do in life, I spend my days off looking for jobs but nothing stands out to me as a job I’ll love to do for the next x amount of years. I feel that not going to university was both the best and worst choices as I feel that I’m wasting my life away by not going but at the same time it was the best choice as I would be in x amount of debt just because I want to ‘fit in’. Now I’m here in January 2017, wanting and needing advice about what to do. I tried an apprenticeship in childcare quit after two days (don’t ask it’s another story for another day) someone please give me advice or if anyone is in my situation how are you coping?!?!?

P.S I also feel that if I don't get into a career job soon I'll be stuck in retail forever and retail is not for me

HELPPP
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm in a "career" job and still have no idea what I want to do. I've found something I enjoy, but still not entirely sure it's what I want to do forever.

There's nothing wrong with not knowing, but it certainly helps to have an idea.
    You'll know if you want to work indoors or outdoors. With lots of people, or in a small team. Do you want to work Monday-Friday 9-5 or are you happy having a varied work week? Do you want it to be customer facing? Work with animals?

Ask yourself what you enjoy doing, and find something you enjoy. That's the best way to approach it when you've got no end point in mind, find somewhere to start.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.