Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If starting off in the Civil Service with a 2.1 honours, as an Administrative Officer, is it still possible to move up the ranks to a satisfying role, or is the Fast Stream really the only way into a senior position?

This is the situation I am in now!

PS I know Civil Servants can apply to the Fast Stream, I am thinking of doing this too.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I joined the civil service as a non-fast streamer. The civil service fully supports promoting people as soon as they are ready, and they support learning and development. If you prove you can walk and talk you will do well and be promoted quickly. A friend of mine who joined as an AO is now a grade 7, others who joined at IO are 7s and 6s. It's absolutely possible

Take every opportunity for training, ask to work shadow people in other teams, and don't be afraid to move departments to take other jobs. I would also strongly recommend getting yourself a mentor. Some departments offer organised programmes, others use more a word of mouth process. As an AO, I would recommend getting someone at roughly grade 7 level who has been in the civil service a while and will know lots about different things open. If there is someone you work with who you like and trust go with them, or if not, ask your manager if they have a friend who would be interested in doing it. Everyone loves to be asked that kind of thing.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Fast Stream is probably the quickest route to HEO, with a view to being G7 in a few years - the application process is brutal however.

Internal promotion is a thing of the past, you need to get on Civil Service Jobs and hunt for promotion opportunities sadly. I've been a CS since 2003, started at the bottom and when I got bored, I applied for the AO position. Spend 12 years as an AO doing various roles which I enjoyed and challenged me, before getting bored and wanting to move up again. Recently applied and got my EO position, and again, I'll probably stay here until the itch to move up presents itself.

I know some staff who push hard applying for higher grade jobs via Civil Service Jobs, and if you have the competencies you will get on. I know of one member of staff securing a promotion to HEO from an AO grade for example, if you have the skills your previous grade does not matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ice_cube)
    Hi,

I joined the civil service as a non-fast streamer. The civil service fully supports promoting people as soon as they are ready, and they support learning and development. If you prove you can walk and talk you will do well and be promoted quickly. A friend of mine who joined as an AO is now a grade 7, others who joined at IO are 7s and 6s. It's absolutely possible

Take every opportunity for training, ask to work shadow people in other teams, and don't be afraid to move departments to take other jobs. I would also strongly recommend getting yourself a mentor. Some departments offer organised programmes, others use more a word of mouth process. As an AO, I would recommend getting someone at roughly grade 7 level who has been in the civil service a while and will know lots about different things open. If there is someone you work with who you like and trust go with them, or if not, ask your manager if they have a friend who would be interested in doing it. Everyone loves to be asked that kind of thing.

Good luck!
    I also agree, getting as much experience and having a senior manager at your side will make doors open for you. Move as often as you can to obtain more skills and experience - embrace change, offer new ideas etc. Even a small thing can be used as a good competency - this is very good advice.

ReputationRep:
    Once you are in, no one cares less about your degree. I joined mainstream as a EO in 03, and was a Grade 7 by 2012. Promotion is there if you are keen and want it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys, I applied for a HEO position and had an interview two weeks ago, which went OK (I think). They said they would let us know if successful (or not!) within 2-3 weeks. The wait is excruciating, as I would like to know whether or not I need to invest more time into looking for other positions, completing applications, writing cover letters etc., which is a huge (but necessary) distraction from my PhD thesis.... any news, advice or information you might have would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    What grade is suitable for a fresh graduate, is it AO or EO?

ReputationRep:
    Hello,It’s not too hard to progress if you are willing to work hard, I went from AO to G7 in under 3 years.I had very little previous work experience and a 2:1 degree in Geography when I entered.Work hard, take opportunities for stretching work, make sure people are aware of the work you are doing, challenging managers constructively when they are wrong and don’t be scared of failure.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.