Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Theresa May threatens EU member states with nuclear option Watch

ReputationRep:
    The PM gave a very strong speech today, and I thought I could detect perhaps more than a hint of The Untouchables; "He pulls a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. That's the Chicago way".

“Britain wants to be a good friend and neighbour. Yet I know there are some voices calling for a punitive deal that punishes Britain . . . That would be an act of calamitous self-harm for the countries of Europe. And it would not be the act of a friend”. “Calamitous self-harm”; crikey Europe, you don’t want to go there.

Admittedly a close textual analysis of her speech might suggest that when Mrs May thinks of the nuclear option she does not actually mean the nuclear option. Her version of fallout is the threat of turning Britain into a low tax haven — Europe’s Singapore. But the not-all-that-subliminal message is that Britain is a nation with a history of standing by its friends. At a time when eastern European nations may need those friends in the face of Russian revanchism, the lines had all the subtlety of the opening scene of The Godfather.

This was only the finale of a 40 minute speech that gave no quarter on Brexit and admitted no weaknesses. There are those who have pointed to Europe’s bullying of Switzerland in recent months as a sign of what the EU does to nations that threaten to step out of line. Mrs May’s speech was, until its conclusion, a sweetly delivered warning that Britain is not Switzerland. The parting threats may have sounded a discordant note but, as her Conservative colleagues have discovered, the PM does not do delicate. She comes from the horse head under the bedsheets school of communications.
    https://www.ft.com/content/51f35dc8-...c-f253db7791c6

Well done, Theresa. No more pissing about.

I hope we're making good use of our unrivalled (outside the Anglosphere) intelligence capabilities to eavesdrop on the phone calls and emails of the eurocrats and European leaders (and collect blackmail material against them). The Eurocrats have made clear they mean to harm us; we need to do whatever it takes to **** them up and protect the British national interest

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.