Indeterminate
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Four problems that I hope you'll like. A level knowledge (inc FM where appropriate) is required.

Problem 1

Spoiler:
Show

Determine whether or not there is a rational number r that satisfies

\tan(r\pi) = \sqrt{7}

Hint 1: a rational number is any number that can be expressed in the form p/q where p and q are coprime (i.e they have a gcd of 1).

Hint 2: Use complex numbers.

Hint 3: An algebraic integer is a complex root of a polynomial with integer coefficients that has leading coefficient (that is the non-zero coefficient of the highest power) 1. The sum, difference and product of two algebraic integers is also an algebraic integer. If a number is both rational and an algebraic integer then it is an integer.

Problem 2

Spoiler:
Show

Find all functions f that satisfy

f((a-b)^2) = (f(a))^2 - 2af(b) + b^2

for all real a and b

Problem 3

Spoiler:
Show

Evaluate

\displaystyle \int_0^1 [x(1-x)]^{-1/2} \ln \left(\dfrac{3+x}{3-x}\right) \ dx

Problem 4

Spoiler:
Show

Evaluate

\displaystyle \int \dfrac{dx}{\sqrt{4x^2 - x + 1}+2x}

DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have a funny feeling none of these are actually appropriate for "A level students"...
Indeterminate
Rep:
?
(Original post by DFranklin)
I have a funny feeling none of these are actually appropriate for "A level students"...
Well, definitely inappropriate for an A-level paper

Whenever I've done this in the past I've always received a decent response. We'll see what happens :lol:
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Having done A-Level maths + FM just last summer, I can safely say I have never seen anything like this unless I missed something... :lol:
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Indeterminate)
Well, definitely inappropriate for an A-level paper

Whenever I've done this in the past I've always received a decent response. We'll see what happens :lol:
Since there's a set of 10 problems I posted only yesterday with little response (and although some of them were hard, some were reasonably accessible) I'm not expecting a great deal...
Indeterminate
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
Having done A-Level maths + FM just last summer, I can safely say I have never seen anything like this unless I missed something... :lol:
:lol:

Well here's a start. For problem 4 consider the quadratic in the denominator and try a substitution.

Since there's a set of 10 problems I posted only yesterday with little response (and although some of them were hard, some were reasonably accessible) I'm not expecting a great deal...
Oh.

Well, erm, at least we try. :lol:
solC
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think I may be able to do 4...
I'll have a crack at it tomorrow

Edit: Couldn't hack it
BobBobson
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can you confirm whether or not Problem 2 is just f(x) = x. If so, do you want us to prove it?
A02
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BobBobson)
Can you confirm whether or not Problem 2 is just f(x) = x. If so, do you want us to prove it?
I think f(x) = 1+x works as well. Plug a,b = 0 in to get f(0)=0 or 1. Then let a=0, and see what you get. Also, with functional equations substitute back in to see if what you get works.
Indeterminate
Rep:
?
(Original post by BobBobson)
(Original post by A02)
I think f(x) = 1+x works as well. Plug a,b = 0 in to get f(0)=0 or 1. Then let a=0, and see what you get. Also, with functional equations substitute back in to see if what you get works.
If you think you've found one (or more than one) solution, can't you find any others? Or can you show that there aren't any others?
A02
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you think you've found one (or more than one) solution, can't you find any others? Or can you show that there aren't any others?
Yes.
I think this is right:
Answer

a=0;b=0
f(0)=f(0)^2
So f(0)= 0 or 1
Case 1: f(0)=0
Let a=0
f(b^2)=b^2
so f(x) = x
Case 2: f(0)=1
Let a=0
f(b^2)=1+b^2
so f(x) =1+x
Substitute back into check, and both of these work.
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Problem 4 is just ugly. Problem 3 isn't so bad, on the other hand (doubt an A-Level student would manage it, though):

Use x \mapsto (\sin x)^2 to get

\displaystyle 

\begin{align*}\int_0^1 \frac{\log \frac{3+x}{3-x}}{\sqrt{x(1-x)}} \, \mathrm{d}x &=\int_0^{\pi/2} \log\left(\frac{3 + \sin^2 x }{3-\sin^2 x}\right)\frac{2\sin x\cos x \, \mathrm{d}x}{\sqrt{\sin^2 x(1-\sin^2 x)}} \\ &= 2 \int_0^{\pi/2}\log\left(\frac{3 + \sin^2 x}{3-\sin^2 x}\right) \, \mathrm{d}x \end{align*}

Now use x \mapsto \frac{x}{2} and \sin^2 x = \frac{1-\cos \frac{x}{2}}{2} to get

\displaystyle \int_0^1 \frac{\log \frac{3+x}{3-x}}{\sqrt{x(1-x)}} \, \mathrm{d}x = \int_0^{\pi} \log \frac{7 - \cos x}{5 + \cos x} \, \mathrm{d}x

Now use \displaystyle \int_0^{\pi} \log(\kappa \pm \cos \theta) \, \mathrm{d}\theta =\pi \text{arccosh}\, \kappa on our integral (pretty nifty identity, try proving it) to get:

\displaystyle I = \pi (\text{arccosh} \,7 - \text{arccosh} \,5)
Zacken
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
"An algebraic integer is a root of some polynomial with leading coefficient (that is the non-zero coefficient of the highest power) 1."

Really?
Indeterminate
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zacken)
Problem 4 is just ugly. Problem 3 isn't so bad, on the other hand (doubt an A-Level student would manage it, though):

Use x \mapsto (\sin x)^2 to get

\displaystyle 

\begin{align*}\int_0^1 \frac{\log \frac{3+x}{3-x}}{\sqrt{x(1-x)}} \, \mathrm{d}x &=\int_0^{\pi/2} \log\left(\frac{3 + \sin^2 x }{3-\sin^2 x}\right)\frac{2\sin x\cos x \, \mathrm{d}x}{\sqrt{\sin^2 x(1-\sin^2 x)}} \\ &= 2 \int_0^{\pi/2}\log\left(\frac{3 + \sin^2 x}{3-\sin^2 x}\right) \, \mathrm{d}x \end{align*}

Now use x \mapsto \frac{x}{2} and \sin^2 x = \frac{1-\cos \frac{x}{2}}{2} to get

\displaystyle \int_0^1 \frac{\log \frac{3+x}{3-x}}{\sqrt{x(1-x)}} \, \mathrm{d}x = \int_0^{\pi} \log \frac{7 - \cos x}{5 + \cos x} \, \mathrm{d}x

Now use \displaystyle \int_0^{\pi} \log(\kappa \pm \cos \theta) \, \mathrm{d}\theta =\pi \text{arccosh}\, \kappa on our integral (pretty nifty identity, try proving it) to get:

\displaystyle I = \pi (\text{arccosh} \,7 - \text{arccosh} \,5)
I expected you to chip in

"An algebraic integer is a root of some polynomial with leading coefficient (that is the non-zero coefficient of the highest power) 1." Really?
Well spotted :lol:
Zacken
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I expected you to chip in
Might as well before lectures start (tomorrow!!). ;lol:

When do your lectures start?
Indeterminate
Rep:
?
Might as well before lectures start (tomorrow!!). ;lol:

When do your lectures start?
Fair enough :lol:

Day 1 for me too, but I know a few who haven't got any lectures until Monday.

But yeah looking forward to it of course!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (140)
62.22%
I don't have everything I need (85)
37.78%

Watched Threads