Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A/A* grade student revision tips! (For all subjects) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm currently in year 11 and I've already started my revision for my exams in May/June. I already know how to revise but it would be really helpful if previous/ current successful students could share their top EFFECTIVE revision tips for A/A* grades! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _rivnn)
    Hello, I'm currently in year 11 and I've already started my revision for my exams in May/June. I already know how to revise but it would be really helpful if previous/ current successful students could share their top EFFECTIVE revision tips for A/A* grades! x
    For my a-level physics and biology i finished revising the first unit (40%) by during Christmas holiday. Then began doing all the past papers for the next month. I redid all the past papers during the month before thee exam. For my second unit i aimed to finish the whole course by Easter holiday and do every paper one time then i went over the ones i did notes well in again and looking up on a few marks missed

I did better in my first unit then second because i worked more on it and over a longer period. I can give you my unit results if you want to know how well i did with the work i put it. I did a lot of work

I revised the old spec and current spec so that i had more points for 1 question coz what seems to be a problem at a-Level is 1 question has 4 answers then the same/similar question on another paper has 4 answers but 1 of them was different. If you learn the old spec and current spec in side out you get a wider range of points to add to your answers securing yourself more marks on questions people think they get correct.

ReputationRep:
    Teach other students and your mates. You can also teach people online by making resources.

Another way is to check the specification of the exam board for each subject which will tell you what you need to know

Hopefully this will help

ReputationRep:
    Timetables are really helpful if you do them right; you HAVE to put in the things that you enjoy i.e. t.v.... otherwise if it is all work, it will be hard to stick to, so that makes it kind of fun.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! I sat Scottish qualifications but the same principles ought to apply.
    Revision timetables can work for some, but for most I don't think they're necessary. At the end of the day, if you are committed and really want to pass your exams, you'll find the time to revise. And if you're not committed, you're probably not going to stick to a timetable anyway.
    What I did to revise varied by subject. For example, doing and marking loads of past papers is a great technique for knowledge-based subjects like Sciences, as many questions are recycled. If you do and mark, say, every past paper from the last 10 years, there's little doubt that you'll recognise a good chunk of the questions in your exam from them, putting you at an immediate advantage! And whilst I personally hate them, many people can't see past mindmaps as a revision tool. They let you be creative, which for some people I suppose can help implant memory.
    Another technique is to practice by sharing your knowledge. As someone else mentioned, you can teach your friends (unless they know more than you). But another good way to do this is to use Q&A sites like Yahoo Answers, and respond to questions on relevant topics. Both of these put an added pressure on you to be accurate and thorough with your knowledge, which will help you remember things in detail for your exams.
    Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Gonna copy and paste some advice I gave in another thread (it was for economics, but the general principles still hold):

For memorising content, my strategy would be to not concern myself with it until about 3 months or so before exams. This is because anything you remember now will likely be forgotten quite quickly, and so the only thing worth doing now in terms of content would be ensuring that you understand the concepts and theory. Memorising definitions, for example, now, would likely be inefficient and just end up being wasted energy. It is for such reasons that once it hits roughly the Easter holidays, I would take about a week or two out just to memorise all of the content. The strategy I would use to memorise them is below:
    • Memorise 10-20 pages of your notes on day 1 (depending on how content heavy the set of pages you are memorising are, and also on your personal ability to retain information)
    • Next, I would make sure that on day 2 I go back over the 10-20 pages from day 1, before I move onto the next (new) 10-20 pages I had planned to memorise on day 2
    • I would then make sure that on day 3 I go back over the 10-20 pages from day 2, and so on and so forth

Once I had gone through my entire set of notes, I would then try to go over the whole set of notes in 1 day (2 days if 1 day is unrealistic / unmanageable). If you can't manage to get it down to even 2 days, then I would try 3 or 4 days, but I would advise that you ensure that you gradually get fast enough that you could do it in 2 days (or even 1). Once you get it down to 1 or 2 days, I would then take two days out of every week to repeat the process of memorising and regurgitating / recalling all of the important parts of the notes by heart. I would just do this up until exam day, regurgitate everything, and then move on with my life.

ReputationRep:
    Past papers are literally a god send. I never appriciated them so much until year 11. I got 2A*'s in PE and RS both by doing a ton of past papers and then giving them to my teachers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KevinLonge)
    Gonna copy and paste some advice I gave in another thread (it was for economics, but the general principles still hold):

For memorising content, my strategy would be to not concern myself with it until about 3 months or so before exams. This is because anything you remember now will likely be forgotten quite quickly, and so the only thing worth doing now in terms of content would be ensuring that you understand the concepts and theory. Memorising definitions, for example, now, would likely be inefficient and just end up being wasted energy. It is for such reasons that once it hits roughly the Easter holidays, I would take about a week or two out just to memorise all of the content. The strategy I would use to memorise them is below:
    • Memorise 10-20 pages of your notes on day 1 (depending on how content heavy the set of pages you are memorising are, and also on your personal ability to retain information)
    • Next, I would make sure that on day 2 I go back over the 10-20 pages from day 1, before I move onto the next (new) 10-20 pages I had planned to memorise on day 2
    • I would then make sure that on day 3 I go back over the 10-20 pages from day 2, and so on and so forth

Once I had gone through my entire set of notes, I would then try to go over the whole set of notes in 1 day (2 days if 1 day is unrealistic / unmanageable). If you can't manage to get it down to even 2 days, then I would try 3 or 4 days, but I would advise that you ensure that you gradually get fast enough that you could do it in 2 days (or even 1). Once you get it down to 1 or 2 days, I would then take two days out of every week to repeat the process of memorising and regurgitating / recalling all of the important parts of the notes by heart. I would just do this up until exam day, regurgitate everything, and then move on with my life.
    Wow, thank you!xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Konanabanana)
    For my a-level physics and biology i finished revising the first unit (40%) by during Christmas holiday. Then began doing all the past papers for the next month. I redid all the past papers during the month before thee exam. For my second unit i aimed to finish the whole course by Easter holiday and do every paper one time then i went over the ones i did notes well in again and looking up on a few marks missed

I did better in my first unit then second because i worked more on it and over a longer period. I can give you my unit results if you want to know how well i did with the work i put it. I did a lot of work

I revised the old spec and current spec so that i had more points for 1 question coz what seems to be a problem at a-Level is 1 question has 4 answers then the same/similar question on another paper has 4 answers but 1 of them was different. If you learn the old spec and current spec in side out you get a wider range of points to add to your answers securing yourself more marks on questions people think they get correct.
    This is amazing, thank you for the help. And yes, i would love to know your unit
    results if you don't mind?x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _rivnn)
    This is amazing, thank you for the help. And yes, i would love to know your unit
    results if you don't mind?x
    I completed A2 so unit 1 2 and 3 is AS and 4 5 6 is a2

Biology - A*
    unit 1 - 101/120 A
    unit 2 120/120 A
    unit 3 47/60 (cw) B
    unit 4 120/120 A*
    unit 5 100/120 A
    unit 6 - 50/60 (CW) A

Physics A*
    Unit 1 106/120 A
    unit 2 96/120 A
    unit 3 48/60 (cw) A
    unit 4 - 106/120 A
    unit 5 108/120 A*
    unit 6 56/60 A*

If you do need any help then feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Konanabanana)
    I completed A2 so unit 1 2 and 3 is AS and 4 5 6 is a2

Biology - A*
    unit 1 - 101/120 A
    unit 2 120/120 A
    unit 3 47/60 (cw) B
    unit 4 120/120 A*
    unit 5 100/120 A
    unit 6 - 50/60 (CW) A

Physics A*
    Unit 1 106/120 A
    unit 2 96/120 A
    unit 3 48/60 (cw) A
    unit 4 - 106/120 A
    unit 5 108/120 A*
    unit 6 56/60 A*

If you do need any help then feel free to ask
    Konanabanana, you are my inspiration. You have amazing results and I can see that through your continued hard work and dedication. Hopefully this method will be as successful for me as it was for you!x Thanks again xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.