Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is not a thread just directed to those who have chosen options this year, but to all of you, what past GCSE, AS, A2 options did you choose and did you like them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icetopaz_h454)
    This is not a thread just directed to those who have chosen options this year, but to all of you, what past GCSE, AS, A2 options did you choose and did you like them?

Ok...well I chose to do both French and German at GCSE, AS and A2 which was a really good idea. They were kind of hard but I still really enjoyed them and they're actually useful in everyday life which you can't say for every subject! My other option was music which I did for GCSE and AS and it was REALLY hard - no matter how good you are at performing, the theory and the listening is so difficult, or at least that's what I found. I also did English Lit at AS at A2 - easy compared to the other 3, and they only really expect you to read 6 books in 2 years so not too time-consuming!

ReputationRep:
    I'm bored, and I feel sorry for spamming your old threads - so I'll respond nicely.

GCSE:-

History: Simply put, I loved it. I didn't do that much work during the year, but along with sciences, this was a biggie in terms of revision. Probably a little on the heavy side (in terms of workload during the year - my notes were copious!). An interesting subject though and I had a great text book too: "Modern World History" - it's great to skim through if you're bored!

Geography: This was a great subject (well - half of it was ). Settlement, Urban Morphology, Urban Change, The Greenbelt, HTIs - I loved the topics!!! I actually remembered most the Geography course as I went through, and only revised for a couple of hours. The only bad thing was the brutal coursework!!! Having to accost members of the public to fill in surveys loses its appeal after about 2mins. Having to write a 70 page report is torturous.

DT Resistant Materials: I really enjoyed this! Even though it was by far the most time consuming GCSE (in terms of classwork) that I did. Having to plan your own project is fun! Getting to chat to your mates for ages every week is cool too! I can't draw at all, but CAD was a godsend. The coursework was worth 60% of the overall grade - and I think I got 103/105 on it. So I could afford not to revise (and my rubbishy doodles in the examroom were excused).

AS-levels:

Geography: A bit of a damp squib. I haven't really enjoyed it at all. Luckily it's not that hardgoing and the exam was pretty straightforward. No coursework too. It's meant to really pick up at A2 though - the course looks really cool!

Economics: A bit boring tbh - my intention post-GCSEs was to run in the opposite direction from sketch graphs! Some areas are quite interesting, but the timings on the exam (for essay responses) are really harsh!

English Lit: Quite enjoyable - although there was not really any flexibility in terms of which genres/periods to study (though this changes a lot at A2). Dr. Faustus is an absolute masterpiece (and takes no time to read ).

History: My pick of the AS-courses - it was really impressive. It demands a lot more wider reading than the GCSE course, but the topics are sooo much more interesting. The chance to deviate from the tireless study of World Wars (which is done to overkill at GCSE) was much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE: History, Business Studies, Graphic Products, French

history - Good GCSE to have, well respected, good skills gained, well liked by universities.

business studies - I quite liked it, decent teacher, decent subject, not difficult.

Graphic Products - We were advised to do a technology, and this was my favoruite one, I like using graphics packages.

French - Because we had hardly any choice, and I chose the wrong language out of German and French anyway! French is boooooring!

AS: Mathematics, Physics, Economics, Computing, General Studies.

Mathematics - I like it a lot, and probably the best and most respected A-Level to have.

Physics - Ditto as above; I'm going to do it at uni.

Economics - I like it, it also provides a nice balance among the more sciency subjects i'm doing. I like Economics/Business.

Computing - I like it, it's enjoyable, and ties in well with my current subjects.

General Studies - Compulsory

A2: Mathematics, Physics, Economics, Computing
    Also taking - AS Further Maths

Reason: I like Maths a lot, I'll enjoy learning the new Maths and techniques, it's also quite useful for my application, although I picked it for the first reason really.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to do what Rob did too

GCSE (options):
    1. German - Loved it. I really enjoy learning this language, grammar was easy, content was straight forward, really nice all in all. (Edexcel)
    2. French - I had a natural affinity for languages, so chose to do French as well as German. Almost identical to German in terms of content, but in a different language... duh :rolleyes: (Edexcel)
    3. Business studies - A gem of a subject. Interesting, relevant, and well, so easy it was laughable. (Edexcel)
    4. Geography - Lacked depth; I always wanted to learn things in more detail, but good nonetheless. (AQA)
    5. Food tech - People say this is an easy option. It wasn't. It was the hardest of all my options in terms of amont of work. Massive undertaking of a coursework, though Edexcel did send me a letter saying my coursework would have achieved an A at AS level, though it was my GCSE piece, which was nice. (AQA)

AS levels:
    1. Biology - Volume of content is large, though the actual material isn't too difficult on the whole. Probably the easiest of the three sciences. Bit of a b*tch piece of coursework, though does relieve pressure of exams. (Edexcel)
    2. German - I found it to be a massive step up from GCSE, a shock I wasn't prepared for! However, got to learn a lot about Germany (geography, politics, current affairs et al) so very interesting from the perspective. Stops being the tourist language you did at GCSE and moves towards a much much wider vocabulary. No coursework. Shocking writing paper in exam, probably failed it. (AQA)
    3. Geography - Covers many of the topics at GCSE, but it much more detail. AS was a little dry in areas, but A2 sounds great! There were also many aspects I did enjoy greatly, and no coursework, woo! (Edexcel)
    4. Economics - Best AS subject ever! I loved it! Not a bad word to say, it's easy, there's no maths in it, and it's interesting. (Edexcel)

So yep... there we go

English Lit: Quite enjoyable - although there was not really any flexibility in terms of which genres/periods to study (though this changes a lot at A2). Dr. Faustus is an absolute masterpiece (and takes no time to read ).
    AS Lit really has suffocated me at times! Awww wish i had done Faustus I love that play (only because i was in it though!)

ReputationRep:
    A-levels

A-level English Language
    This was a very interesting subject which I really enjoyed. I read the books enthusiastically and gained a respect for the English Language which I never previously had. There was however a lot to memorise and study. I had never done this subject before, so I had trouble. I also found it difficult to please the teacher, who gave me really low marks no matter how hard I worked. I came out of this subject with an E. I'm surprised I even passed really.

AS Media Studies
    I loved this subject passionately. I hated the lessons because the teacher picked people at random to answer questions. The work however was fun. Really fun and I would love to take this qualification again one day. I got a B in this subject.

AVCE Double ICT
    This was the most difficult subject I have ever done and it makes 1st year university look like playschool. The work isn't that difficult, there's just so much of it. It swamps you and takes up all your time. You also have to check with the teacher quite a lot to make sure you're doing it right. It could be A standard, but if a basic requirement is missing, you fail. It's also marked in the weirdest way. I enjoyed this subject because it was challenging and strait forward. I managed to get a BC.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE options:

Business Studies (AQA): Quite possibly the best subject ever. It was so easy that we were able to really stretch out the interesting parts of the course
    (marketing and management) and just superficially cover other parts. Plus, I got 100%, and received a letter saying I was the top candidate (Ha! Not just top 5)

History: British Social and Economics (OCR); Quite an obscure specification, this covered the social, industrial and economic revolution with a focus on agriculture, plus two thematic studies for which we did medicine and women (both were brilliant). The real ***** was the local studies coursework, which was piloted last year (and removed immediately :mad: ), and the marks for this were so dire no one got A* at my school. Still, very enjoyable if only for the endless videos we watched (or didn't, as the case maybe)..

We had to do French GCSE, which I actually really enjoyed. If you have a teacher prepared to play the system as badly as the one I had it is really easy (i.e lets all write down which conversation topics we do want to come up and don't want to come up). Oui la la! No-one was asked about careers except myself (I thought it was a brilliant topic to get everything, tenses and idioms etc. included- and it shows I got 90/90 (in the end- a stupid woman at OCR originally just pressed enter so it was recorded as 0!)

For DT I chose Food Tech, which I also really enjoyed as it motivated me to lose weight. The coursework can be as hard or as easy as you want it to be, but I was really pleased when I received a letter from the head examiner about mine (this was a few weeks after the first letter saying I was in the top 5 for OCR). She said it was really good to read something which was concise and very personal, and how my approach to the design task was the most innovative she'd ever seen, and all this stuff about her husband who'd died of heart disease. It made my food tech teacher cry! I think food tech should be compulsory, as it certainly educated all of us about healthy eating etc. The workload though, for one GCSE, is pathetic!

For AS, I chose after much agonising to study Biology, Chemistry, Economics and English. I had been planning to study Maths, but my confidence was knocked when I got an A in my GCSEs (having expected an A*), and decided that as I didn't want to a degree specifically related to it, I would be better placed with English for a less stressful A.

Economics (Edexcel, Nuffied) has been disappointing. I'm the only person from my old Business group in the class, so everything has been new to the others and they all seem to be woefully inept with regard to current affairs. In fact their knowledge is limited mainly to mocking George W. Bush and chirruping about how higher taxes will solve all of the problems in the world. :mad: :mad: :mad: . The main problem I have is that the course doesn't appreciate that we are [or should be] abstract thinkers at 17. It introduces a very simplistic theory, such as D&S, and then doesn't expect us to challenge it. Before doing this course, I would have thought I was the person who preferred the easier road. Actually, I find it so simplistic and narrow minded I would rather the course was much tougher, so as to keep me interested.

Chemistry AS is a brilliant course (AQA). The course allows you to be discursive about chemistry in the classroom but then just relay cold solid facts in the examination room. The combination of skills developed by the course is brilliant, and it is very highly respected [it is widely considered the least impervious A Level].

Biology AS is also very enjoyable (AQA B). The key is to work your ass off in the first module, core principles, and make sure you understand all of these implicitly. If you can apply these to other scenarios and situations you have the foundation from which to breakdown the somewhat bewildering amount of material in digestable amounts. The sidelining of plants is also a relief!

I have studied the English Language and Literauture (WJEC) course. It is really very very good. Module 1 is a poetry anthology, consistent of 30 poems from 1100-1900, and most of them are brilliant (especially the Old English charm of Cuckoo Song, Donne's Batter my Heart and Dickinson's 'Slant of Light' (I love that poem)). This module gives you a wide taste of England's varied and fine literary history. Module 2 is coursework, and although worth 30% takes a hell of a lot less time than GCSE. You have to write two pieces of creative writing and produce a commentary. The commentary, where you analyse your own work as a literary piece, is really edifying and satisfying as it also allows you to evaluate yourself as a writer. Module 3 is the customary unseen and then a set text, and we did 'The Color Purple', which I think is a very accomplished but also naive book.

Overall- after this helluva post- I think I've made the right choices. I enjoy my subjects, but I am really stuck on whether to drop or not.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE options:

French - really liked this subject and felt I progressed well in the 2 years

History - hated the History of Medicine topic, as it was like having an extra 2 science lessons every week (I so didn't need that!). Wasn't too keen on the American West either, but really enjoyed the source analysis, which suddenly 'clicked' halfway through year 11.

Classical Civilisation - probably my favourite option. Not very academically demanding and covered an interesting spread of Greek and Roman history and literature

RS - enjoyed learning about a totally different religion in Hinduism lessons, but wasn't enamoured of the Christian Ethics option; very boring

AS and A Level:

did same subjects as above with the addition of English Lit. Loathed it - we concentrated far too much on Victorian texts eg Hard Times, Return of the Native, Wuthering Heights, and by the age of 17/18 I'd had enough of Shakespeare to last a lifetime. I also wasn't very impressed with the plays or poetry; I'm sure Dr Faustus and Philip Larkin's 'Whitsun Weddings' are brilliant works of literature, but they didn't float my boat.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to keep mine brief, it is late after all

GCSE
    ---

Latin - thoroughly enjoyable, it was simply a case of studying the books, learning the text and reciting it in the exam. The unseens were hard at first but easier after a while and the exam was overall quite easy, and the texts themselves were fun to learn

History - Interesting, we did nazi germany, a bit of fdr and the new deal (for coursework) and (by far the most interesting part) american 60s and 70s foreign affairs (korea, cuban missle crisis and vietnam) for skills. The questions were long and usually quite boring, it was a matter of cramming against time sometimes, but overall i enjoyed it, and all you need to do is learn the facts.

Geography - Utterly boring, the coursework had me bored out of my mind, but it was okay because i didn't really do that much work in class. I wasn't particularly enthralled by any of the course, although some specific case studies were interesting. Moreover than any other subject, geography was an exercise is common sense.

AS-Levels:

Maths/F. Maths - enjoyed gcse maths, enjoyed a-level maths, wasn't particularly challenged as i was doing step papers and bmo papers most the time, but the lessons were nice and easy, hardly any work, and we just worked in our own time at our own pace, no notes or anything, it was good.

History - started interesting (us civil rights and russian revolution) got tedious (british domestic policy in the era of gladstone and disraeli, yawn). Not too much harder than gcse, but i was getting sick of all the notes and essays by the end of the year.

Latin - a load of work and then some. Mainly did the work in frees so it was okay, but wouldn't recommend doing latin with 3/4 other work heavy subjects. At the end, the exam seemed okay because of all the work, so i guess that was good, plus the texts were fun.

A2s:

Maths/F. Maths + Latin - See above.

Dropped history (just got an AS) and took up stats (AS) in spare time - found it interesting, good to get me working independantly and overall a good challenge and enjoyable.

General Studies - waste of time.

AS-

Art:well i was actually only going to take this to AS but i have found it to be so much fun and i really enjoy it so i am taking it to a full A level. The project outlines allow you to do whatever you want really and i have worked with so many new materials.

Theatre Studies:I took the AQA syllabus which meant the practical coursework and exam was devised with a written portfolio which was very long and took forever to write. I also took two exams on plays and practioners and performances i have seen.

Politics: i decided to take this to see what it was like and it has changed my outlook on political issues. I have found myself to be more argumentative and into debating issues. But be warned there is so much to cover at AS i found myself in extra lessons learning new stuff a week before the exam!!

English Lit:I have enjoyed this but i regret taking it too because i really have had a hellish time. Donne and Streetcar Named Desire where alright as was the Othello coursework but i spend till christmas hating every lesson with one teacher because of some wierd barriers which were stopping me from understanding Wuthering Heights. I am unsure if i will continue with this subject-it all depends on the results i get!

ReputationRep:
    I will be doin for Gcse

Histry: Luvvvvvvvv the subject. V respected

DRama: Luv 2 act

Classic civ or artt: Classic civ: I enjoy and im gd at V respected. Art: Such a passion for i luv it soo much ,ight wanna be a designer but im not gr8 at it

CANT Decided

French: ONly language i know!

ReputationRep:
    GCSE Options: Astronomy (Extra), History, Business Studies, ICT GNVQ and Music

Astronomy [Edexcel]: I started doing this as an after-school GCSE in year 7. Which, at the time, made the subject very hard. But, I started the course 'properly' in year 9 and I absolutely loved it - there's quite a lot of maths involved, as you would expect with Astronomy being a branch of Physics. The coursework's quite hard, but its quite interesting too. I did the exam at the end of year 10 and got a C (was 5 marks off a B :mad: ) so I decided to do it again this summre, hoping for a B or an A.

Modern World History [OCR]: Again, quite interesting, but only if you're prepared to work. The coursework for this isn't particularly hard but its a nightmare. If you slack in this, it takes a LOT of work to get back upto speed again *speaking from experience* - but it can be done. But its interesting and a respectable GCSE

Business Studies [OCR]: YAWN! I liked this at first, but after the novelty had worn off, this became very tedious and boring. Quite a bit of maths involved, but nothing particularly challenging. Quite an easy subject, but theres quite a few long questions i.e. upwards of 8 marks. The coursework for this is do-able as long as you keep upto date, which I didn't - but the projects are typically quie lengthy. Mine took around 70-or-so pages....fun fun fun

Music [Edexcel]: Apparently, this is a hard subject. But if you've been playing an instrument for a while, you'll sail through it. The pieces I played for performing weren't particularly advanced but Edexcel categorised them as 'more difficult' (I played Beethoven's 'Fur Elise' and I also did a Piano duet of Pachelbel's 'Canon' as well as performing a composition) - I got full marks for performing. So if you're experienced on an instrument and have a good grasp of theory before you start, this is easy!! A bit slow starting and boring at first, but after a while this soon became my favourite subject

ICT GNVQ Intermediate [AQA]: Pretty easy, a lot of coursework and you can get a 'Pass' quite easily as long as you work hard. The exams for this aren't difficult at all, seeing as a lot of the marks come from the Pre-release task. If you're keen on ICT, GNVQ is definitely the course you want. It can be very boring at times though. My favourite unit was 'Graphics and DTP' - but its an optional unit, so your school might not offer it. But, theres a lot of work, the core units are boring, but depending on the optional units your school choose, this can be pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE:

Geography: Some of it was pretty interesting and basically all you really have to do is learn the facts and processes and stuff then use a bit of common sense. The coursework was EVIL, let me emphasise that! We had to do 2 projects, like 70-80 pages each. Evilness I'm telling you and for that reason I wished I'd chosen History. On the other hand the trip was brilliant! (OCR)

French: I don't need to say anymore that that. (Edexcel)

Drama: One of my best options, I got so much more out of this subject than most of the others. It's a great confidence booster. Also I was liking the written coursework very much. (Edexcel)

Art: Great! Time consuming but brilliant. You get out what you put in totally though. (Edexcel)

Media Studies: Not as much as doss as most of you seem to think (4 pieces of written coursework, 1 practical project and write up to back it up). You have to be able to write well and link ideas together and also use your common sense. As long as you can write well and use the right terms and stuff it's ok. (AQA)

ReputationRep:
    GCSE's:

Textiles: I originally went with graphics but the work/teacher/class were dull. I went with textiles since I like designing - I'm glad I went with it (also I had friends in the class :rolleyes: )

RS: I originally did History but the teacher was absent for 2months, and when she came back she was *****y because we didn't know anything. The coursework for RS was interesting - and the debates in class.

Art: I love art. The course did remove some of my enthusiasm at times, but it's great to do a subject where you can take home your coursework and have something to show for/be proud of from the course

IT: I basically thought it'd be a useful gcse to have. The class sucked - mainly lads prinking of porn, and the course was boring. But still, to some employers it may look good.

AS:

Psychology - Because I couldnt hack English Nah, I didn't like the look of the English course in the end, and the psychology course looked more interesting. The course was good - despite lacking a teacher for most of the year.

Chem - Need it for nearly all the uni courses I wanted. It's difficult, but its enjoyable.

Bio - another necessary course. It's been a fun year - we had good(ish) teachers, a great class and the course has been fun. The pratical exam was a trip to hell.

Physics - My head of 6th told me to take it. No, seriously. He didn't want me doing business studies. It's been hard, but the course really helps with the other science subjects I take.

As you can probably see - I changed my mind about a lot of my courses even half-way into terms - so it is possible to move to another course if you're really unhappy - so don't stress out to much when it comes to options :cool:

ReputationRep:
    What grades did you all get in these subjects (if you're not awaiting the results)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icetopaz_h454)
    What grades did you all get in these subjects (if you're not awaiting the results)?
    1. German - (Edexcel) A*
    2. French - (Edexcel) A
    3. Business studies - (Edexcel) A*
    4. Geography - (AQA) A*
    5. Food tech - (AQA) A*

ReputationRep:
    Textiles - A
    RS - A
    Art - A
    ICT - A

ReputationRep:
    GCSE option choices:

1. + French: (AQA) A
    2. Geography: (SEG) A*
    3. History: (AQA) A*
    4. Design Technology (Resistant Materials): (Edexcel) A*

+ I forgot to mention this! In theory, I had a choice between French and German GCSE - but in practice I just went to the odd lesson and did feck all (got a Level 2 in Year 9 SATs). My friends and I were told by the teacher that we weren't allowed to do it for GCSE!

French kicks ass though, I didn't really do any work for it - and there was no coursework!!!

ReputationRep:
    English Lit AS- AMAZING, lot of work, but so worth it.

Biology AS/A2- again a lot of work, and loads to revise, but really interesting...be warned if you don't like plants though, there's usually a whole module on it

Chemistry- only did this for AS, i really didn't like it cos i couldn't handle the mathematical element. if you're good at that sort of thing though, then you'll like it- the chemical side of things is really interesting.

Art- not a doss by any means you have to work so consistantly throughout the year. great fun though kinda relaxing if you work properly

German- brilliant. AS is a bit of a drag in terms of topics, if you do literature though it's better.a2 is just great.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.