Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

My partner and I are engaged and planning to move in together when we go to university, but both my college and his 6th form have left us sort of in the dark about our options.

It's creating a bunch of stress for the both of us because we don't know how we're supposed to go about doing all of this. Do we find a flat ourselves? Will our uni give us an option to live together when we apply for accommodation? Neither of us have any idea and, to be honest, our upcoming exams and getting the right grades in them is already so darn stressful, we don't need this on top of it all....

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Wait, how old are you?

ReputationRep:
    It's nothing to do with your schools. You need to get in touch with your uni to see what hall accommodation they offer. They had accommodation for couples at my uni. If not, you will need to find somewhere to live yourselves.

Either way, there isn't much anyone can do until you have passed your exams and both got in. There is no point worrying about it at this stage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyrmidonPrince)
    Hi all,

My partner and I are engaged and planning to move in together when we go to university, but both my college and his 6th form have left us sort of in the dark about our options.

It's creating a bunch of stress for the both of us because we don't know how we're supposed to go about doing all of this. Do we find a flat ourselves? Will our uni give us an option to live together when we apply for accommodation? Neither of us have any idea and, to be honest, our upcoming exams and getting the right grades in them is already so darn stressful, we don't need this on top of it all....

Thanks in advance
    Contact your uni - each one will set its own accommodation policy, so we have no way of knowing and neither do your respective school/college.

The likelihood is that the uni will have limited accommodation for married couples and possibly families, but you're highly unlikely to get any special consideration as an engaged couple. You might be able to request rooms in the same Halls, but even that much may not be possible to guarantee.

If you want to be guaranteed a place to live together, sorting your own private rented is your best option until/unless your uni says otherwise. Check out rental costs online now and make sure that your combined SF will cover the rent.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyrmidonPrince)
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance
    Look into whether your uni others couples accomodation but since it's incredibly unlikely they do, you need to look at finding a private rents yourself really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Contact your uni - each one will set its own accommodation policy, so we have no way of knowing and neither do your respective school/college.

The likelihood is that the uni will have limited accommodation for married couples and possibly families, but you're highly unlikely to get any special consideration as an engaged couple. You might be able to request rooms in the same Halls, but even that much may not be possible to guarantee.

If you want to be guaranteed a place to live together, sorting your own private rented is your best option until/unless your uni says otherwise. Check out rental costs online now and make sure that your combined SF will cover the rent.
    Thank you! Our combined maintenance loans definitely cover rent for the average flats so we might just stick with that to save the hassle

ReputationRep:
    Why would your schools help you?

A few private halls offer rooms for couples but the majority don't (why would they take half the rent when otherwise you have to rent two rooms... plus deal with the headaches which could come with a couple breaking up). I don't think any university halls will offer anything suitable.

You could look at private lets but be aware that few private landlords want to rent to students. You should also be careful to make sure you factor all your additional costs into your financial plans - internet, TV license, water, gas, electricity, plus a bigger deposit - which add up quickly and won't be anything you have to consider in halls.

I would really consider moving into halls normally for your first year. Uni is a big adjustment and it will be much easier if you're in halls. At the end of the year you'll be well set up to try and find a private rent. You'll also have the advantage of it being much easier to meet people, you can have two sets of flatmates so that's double the friends, you'll have a bit of personal space still but you can basically spend every night together if you want to since you can stay over whenever you want. I know it sounds horrible but you should also consider that people change a lot at uni and if you were to change and grow apart you wouldn't want to be tied into renting together, you may think it will never happen but I've seen it happen to plenty of people.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.