Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why does 2g of Mg24 contain one mole of neutrons?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by 99sm12)
    Why does 2g of Mg24 contain one mole of neutrons?
    One mol of 24M is 24g. There are 12 neutrons per atom of Mg. Each neutron is 1/24th of the Ar of Mg so one mole is 1/24th of 24g which is 1g. I hope that makes sense.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    So in Magnesium has a neutron number of 12 and so like it says above. Each of the neutron is 1/24 which is 1g

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    One mol of 24M is 24g. There are 12 neutrons per atom of Mg. Each neutron is 1/24th of the Ar of Mg so one mole is 1/24th of 24g which is 1g. I hope that makes sense.
    I dont get it. I got it by doing this:

Ar=24 therefore 1 mole of mg= 24g
    Neutron n.o= 12 = 12gmol-1 and there are 12 moles of neutrons per mole of Mg

for 2g of mg, (24 divide by 12 = 2) therefoe 12 divide by 12 = 1g.
    therefore 12 mole of neutrons divide by 12 = 1 mole.

SO 1 moles of n = 1g

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.