The Student Room Group

Romeo and Juliet quotes on fait?

I'm currently revising for my English literature exam on romeo and Juliet and was wondering if anyone knew a couple of quotes for the theme of fate. i'm looking for some more 'obscure' quotes e.g. most people will probably use 'a pair of star cross'd lovers' but ones with a lot to analyse the language with etc.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Berty Bassett
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Original post by Bertybassett
I'm currently revising for my English literature exam on romeo and Juliet and was wondering if anyone knew a couple of quotes for the theme of fate. i'm looking for some more 'obscure' quotes e.g. most people will probably use 'a pair of star cross'd lovers' but ones with a lot to analyse the language with etc.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Berty Bassett

My favourite, from Act 1 scene 4
my mind misgivesSome consequence yet hanging in the starsShall bitterly begin his fearful dateWith this night's revels and expire the termOf a despised life closed in my breastBy some vile forfeit of untimely death.But He, that hath the steerage of my course,Direct my sail!
Romeo knows that attending the Capulet feast is wrong. Fate is waiting in the stars, and turning up uninvited will set off a chain of events that will end with his 'untimely death'. And yet he still goes. He does not value his 'despised life' and will accept whatever fate delivers. He sees himself as a ship, on a journey where the 'steerage' is not under his control.

By Act 5 his attitude has changed completely. When he learns of Juliet's 'death' he says 'then I defy you stars'. He won't accept fate and takes things into his own hands by returning to Verona. Ironically this taking control directly leads to his death, as he prophesied at the start.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending