Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

P66 – Capital Punishment Referendum Petition 2017 Watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen one of these in my time in the House. It will have normal petition rules, with the exception that the petition will be binding, subject to CT approval. The referendum itself, as no bill has been submitted to implement such a change, will not be binding.

P66 – Capital Punishment Referendum Petition 2017, Connor27 (seconded by Quamquam123 MP)
    We the undersigned call for a referendum on this with the question: "Should the United Kingdom reintroduce capital punishment as a penalty for the most serious crimes?"

Notes
    This petition legislates for a referendum on the reintroduction of capital punishment in the UK.

We in the libertarian party have noticed the multiple opinion polls showing a clear majority among the general public for reinstatement; but despite this because of politicians being personally against the issue is ignored.

Debate is healthy, and even though members of the libertarian party may be opposed to capital punishment, we believe that the debate must be held due to popular demand, and the people deserve a say.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Surely this should be a motion? Saracen's Fez
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Surely this should be a motion? Saracen's Fez
    No, the referendum petition is an obscure device mentioned in the GD to call a referendum.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    No, the referendum petition is an obscure device mentioned in the GD to call a referendum.
    Interesting. Fair enough.

------------

On the Petition itself, Nay - The state should not have the power to kill it's own citizens. I'm shocked this is coming from the Libertarians of all people
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    To be clear:

I find the (forced) death penalty abhorrent and the complete antithesis of the principles under which the Libertarians are being formed. I know that Connor is also not in favour. However, I was persuaded that this would foster debate and thus be good for the House. I want the Libertarians to be the kind of party that is willing to ask the important questions. As such, I support this petition but, in the event of a referendum, would campaign vigorously for people to vote no.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. Fair enough.

------------

On the Petition itself, Nay - The state should not have the power to kill it's own citizens. I'm shocked this is coming from the Libertarians of all people
    See above.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Just to make it clear, I seconded this referendum petition to stimulate debate, not because I support the concept. I will share my views on the content of this shortly.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    See above.
    The above has been seen. Surely though, this is incredibly dangerous, and is also a complete waste of parliaments time?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Capital punishment. A disgusting barbaric practice that belongs in the cesspool of history.

There are no merits to its reintroduction.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    The above has been seen. Surely though, this is incredibly dangerous, and is also a complete waste of parliaments time?
    Game playing aside, it is an interesting debate for people to have here. That is my primary concern.

That aside, parliament does a fabulous job of wasting almost all of its time already so I don't feel bad about adding to the list even if I do accept the premise :lol:
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conceited)
    Capital punishment. A disgusting barbaric practice that belongs in the cesspool of history.

There are no merits to its reintroduction.
    Hear, Hear

Game playing aside, it is an interesting debate for people to have here. That is my primary concern.

That aside, parliament does a fabulous job of wasting almost all of its time already so I don't feel bad about adding to the list even if I do accept the premise :lol:
    Fair enough I suppose I just hate having this particular debate with people
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Hear, Hear

Fair enough I suppose I just hate having this particular debate with people
    Then don't have it. Maybe very soon you'll be unable to
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Then don't have it. Maybe very soon you'll be unable to
    True
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I am personally for capital punishment.

Also, I don't see why this wouldn't be allowed in the House... that'd be like saying we're not allowed to decriminalise incest because it's currently illegal irl...
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    I am personally for capital punishment.

Also, I don't see why this wouldn't be allowed in the House... that'd be like saying we're not allowed to decriminalise incest because it's currently illegal irl...
    Nobody said it wouldn't be allowed?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Nobody said it wouldn't be allowed?
    Was how I interpreted about subject to CT approval... unless that was in regard to running a TSR referendum?

ReputationRep:
    Neigh.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Was how I interpreted about subject to CT approval... unless that was in regard to running a TSR referendum?
    It is in regard to the actual referendum I believe.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It is in regard to the actual referendum I believe.
    Yeh, after re-reading it about 50 times I would agree!

ReputationRep:
    Just a note in relation to the unusual format: Byronic advised me that petitions were the best way to legislate for a referendum as apparently bills aren't binding on the speaker, I had initially written this as a bill, and rewrote it as a petition in light of this information.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.