Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

P66 – Capital Punishment Referendum Petition 2017 watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conceited)
    Capital punishment. A disgusting barbaric practice that belongs in the cesspool of history.

There are no merits to its reintroduction.
    We broadly agree with you; however the issue is with regards to a vast majority of the public being in favour of it's reintroduction, MPs being opposed to this and not letting it see the light of day is arguably the cause of parliamentary discontent and the disconnect with politics in general.

A referendum on this would see the Libertarians broadly campaigning for the "No" side, however we believe in the equal moral worth of every citizen, and those who support capital punishment deserve to have their voices heard.

Besides that, a debate would be healthy for the house and inspire a bit of life and party activity to push us onto the general election in May.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Connor27)
    Just a note in relation to the unusual format: Byronic advised me that petitions were the best way to legislate for a referendum as apparently bills aren't binding on the speaker, I had initially written this as a bill, and rewrote it as a petition in light of this information.
    I take the blame too if it could have been submitted in bill format too as I suggested to him that a referendum petition might be more suitable, which in my opinion, I think it is.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Interesting. Fair enough.

------------

On the Petition itself, Nay - The state should not have the power to kill it's own citizens. I'm shocked this is coming from the Libertarians of all people
    "I think it's wrong so damn a referendum" Is this you learning from the EU referendum?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    "I think it's wrong so damn a referendum" Is this you learning from the EU referendum?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    We broadly agree with you; however the issue is with regards to a vast majority of the public being in favour of it's reintroduction, MPs being opposed to this and not letting it see the light of day is arguably the cause of parliamentary discontent and the disconnect with politics in general.

A referendum on this would see the Libertarians broadly campaigning for the "No" side, however we believe in the equal moral worth of every citizen, and those who support capital punishment deserve to have their voices heard.

Besides that, a debate would be healthy for the house and inspire a bit of life and party activity to push us onto the general election in May.
    Fair enough. It should be outlined or mentioned at least that it would entail leaving the ECHR as capital punishment is banned.

ReputationRep:
    Yes :D
    Disappointing, considering the liberal democrats are one of the biggest supporters of the increasing use of referendums irl I expected you to support this.

What is your opinion on the numerous opinion polls that have showed that people want it reinstated?

Also would you not agree that it would spark some life into the house having a referendum that can tide us over to the next GE?

ReputationRep:
    Nay, holding a referendum would be pointless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conceited)
    Fair enough. It should be outlined or mentioned at least that it would entail leaving the ECHR as capital punishment is banned.
    Does this mean you'll be voting aye?

In relation to the ECHR, it is down to the government to implement the results of a referendum, we are simply legislating the franchise.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Disappointing, considering the liberal democrats are one of the biggest supporters of the increasing use of referendums irl I expected you to support this.

What is your opinion on the numerous opinion polls that have showed that people want it reinstated?

Also would you not agree that it would spark some life into the house having a referendum that can tide us over to the next GE?
    And I'm sure you as a Real Life Tory don't support everything the Conservative Government are doing, do you?

I think people are stupid. There is no mandate for it - If a major party want to stand on this as a policy, they are free to. Until then, the debate is not there to be had.

I'd rather we didn't waste the few referendums we get as a MHoC on something as stupid as this. There are important issues that could be discussed like the House of Lords, the Monarchy and the Electoral System instead of this just because "muh, debate".

ReputationRep:
    I don't support this primarily because I generally disapprove of referendums and don't see this issue as an exception.

ReputationRep:
    And I'm sure you as a Real Life Tory don't support everything the Conservative Government are doing, do you?

I think people are stupid. There is no mandate for it - If a major party want to stand on this as a policy, they are free to. Until then, the debate is not there to be had.

I'd rather we didn't waste the few referendums we get as a MHoC on something as stupid as this. There are important issues that could be discussed like the House of Lords, the Monarchy and the Electoral System instead of this just because "muh, debate".
    Fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    Does this mean you'll be voting aye?

In relation to the ECHR, it is down to the government to implement the results of a referendum, we are simply legislating the franchise.
    I'm vehemently against the idea coupled with this concise statement -

There is no mandate for it - If a major party want to stand on this as a policy, they are free to. Until then, the debate is not there to be had.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    pointless.
    Interesting. Do you see no value in direct democracy? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Interesting. Do you see no value in direct democracy? :holmes:
    Perhaps I should have phrased it better, but I see referendums as something that should be reserved for fundamental changes in the constitution and the way the country is governed (Brexit, for instance). We have a parliament for a reason.

Also, holding a referendum on TSR causes a lot of unnecessary hassle.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Perhaps I should have phrased it better, but I see referendums as something that should be reserved for fundamental changes in the constitution and the way the country is governed (Brexit, for instance). We have a parliament for a reason.

To be fair almost everything we do is unnecessary hassle

Fair enough though

ReputationRep:

Although true, I would argue this is an exception as it is long used as an example of the disconnect between the electorate and parliament, the legal system is arguably intrinsically linked to the constitution also.

ReputationRep:
    I fully back it. Although when it comes into a bill I could change my mind depending on how it's implemented, certainly wouldn't want a Texas model for capital punishment. But I like the idea.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I agree a referendum should be held.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    I fully back it. Although when it comes into a bill I could change my mind depending on how it's implemented, certainly wouldn't want a Texas model for capital punishment. But I like the idea.
    The implementing is up to you guys in government should the yes campaign win.

ReputationRep:
    The implementing is up to you guys in government should the yes campaign win.
    In that case, I think we shall implement capital punishment for those found guilty of nuclear warfare.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.