Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

P66 – Capital Punishment Referendum Petition 2017 Watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    In the case that there were to be a yes victory , the government would have a duty to make sure that a bill was created and passed to execute the will of the people. I believe the government would be bound to do so , am i right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastyBread)
    In the case that there were to be a yes victory , the government would have a duty to make sure that a bill was created and passed to execute the will of the people. I believe the government would be bound to do so , am i right?
    No, as the Speaker made clear in his notes on the OP; however if you were to ignore it, even though you technically can, it would be a good cause for a MoNC in the government.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastyBread)
    No it wouldn't.

However if the proposer submits a bill to execute it before this petition goes to vote then the referendum will be specifically on the implementation of the bill, thus binding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    No it wouldn't.

However if the proposer submits a bill to execute it before this petition goes to vote then the referendum will be specifically on the implementation of the bill, thus binding.
    I don't intend to submit an implementation bill as I feel this should be the responsibility of the incumbent government and the Secretary of State for Justice should the referendum pass.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    I don't intend to submit an implementation bill as I feel this should be the responsibility of the incumbent government and the Secretary of State for Justice should the referendum pass.
    OK, in which case it will be an advisory referendum.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    OK, in which case it will be an advisory referendum.
    Bit like Brexit then.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Bit like Brexit then.
    Indeed.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe I've commented yet, but I'll likely vote against this. As we are still a member of the EU in TSRland I believe this would go against membership requirements of the EU if we were to bring back capital punishment, which would be a bit of a crisis.

Additionally I consider capital punishment abhorrent, even in the case of someone like Dylann Roof (where it will likely cost more to kill him than keep him in prison for life considering the number of appeals as well as the cost of the drugs (considering so few companies allow their drugs to be used for executioner).

I also think it would be a rather dull debate to have, considering I imagine the majority of people likely to be active in the debate would be against, although I haven't read through this thread entirely so I may be wrong.

Finally I believe we are only allowed so many referendums in a certain time frame, one every two parliaments or something like that. Because of that I would rather we held a referendum on another issue really.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I don't believe I've commented yet, but I'll likely vote against this. As we are still a member of the EU in TSRland I believe this would go against membership requirements of the EU if we were to bring back capital punishment, which would be a bit of a crisis.

Additionally I consider capital punishment abhorrent, even in the case of someone like Dylann Roof (where it will likely cost more to kill him than keep him in prison for life considering the number of appeals as well as the cost of the drugs (considering so few companies allow their drugs to be used for executioner).

I also think it would be a rather dull debate to have, considering I imagine the majority of people likely to be active in the debate would be against, although I haven't read through this thread entirely so I may be wrong.

Finally I believe we are only allowed so many referendums in a certain time frame, one every two parliaments or something like that. Because of that I would rather we held a referendum on another issue really.
    One referendum per term is the limit.

ReputationRep:
    One referendum per term is the limit.
    Ah, thank you Fez, I thought it was stricter than that.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    No it wouldn't.

Ohhhh ok , Good idea for an amendment then.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Yes, a referendum should be held.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    The whole point of representative democracy is to allow the people to have their say on the way the country is governed, without having them respond to specific issues which they have neither the time nor the knowledge to decide on.

Leave referendums to the despots and the demagogues, parliamentary democracy has worked for centuries and will continue to do so.
    Parliamentary democracy is an absolute failure with representatives being totally out of touch with the people and are too busy looking after their own interests to work towards what the people want. With representative democracy, candidates in elections make all sorts of promises, but when they are elected, they can do whatever, earn a decent salary and then do the same thing in five years or so. With direct democracy in the other hand, people actually get to make decisions for themselves. It is the true democratic system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Parliamentary democracy is an absolute failure with representatives being totally out of touch with the people and are too busy looking after their own interests to work towards what the people want. With representative democracy, candidates in elections make all sorts of promises, but when they are elected, they can do whatever, earn a decent salary and then do the same thing in five years or so. With direct democracy in the other hand, people actually get to make decisions for themselves. It is the true democratic system.
    Does this mean we can rely on UKIP support?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Direct democracy is characterised by short-term thinking and shallow analysis, owing to the fact that people don't have time to fully devote themselves to policy making. It's also synonymous with mob rule

Parliamentary democracy at least involves in-depth scrutiny of all proposals, and accountability.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Direct democracy is characterised by short-term thinking and shallow analysis, owing to the fact that people don't have time to fully devote themselves to policy making. It's also synonymous with mob rule

Parliamentary democracy at least involves in-depth scrutiny of all proposals, and accountability.
    Prsom.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Division! Clear the lobbies!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.