The Student Room Group

Best way to get into Primary School teaching? PGCE or BEd?

Hi,
I'm currently in Year 11 and would greatly appreciate some advice on this subject.I would like to become a Primary School teacher, although I am not sure on which route to take to get to that career.

I have done some research and it appears there are two main ways to get into teaching? Doing a Bachelor of Education/Art/Science, or getting a degree, followed by a PGCE/PGDE. (There is also School Direct, however I am a bit confused by that).
I was planning to do some sort of English Degree (maybe Classical Civilisation, as I plan to do those at A-level, as well as Psychology), and then get a PGCE, but I am not so sure now, would I be able to do primary teaching with any degree?

What is your opinion on the best way to get into primary teaching? And what have your experiences been like? What is it like doing the BEd or PGCE?
Any advice/guidance is welcomed!
Reply 1
Unless you are sure you want to teach for the majority of your career, I would suggest taking the postgraduate (PGCE etc) route as it will make it slightly easier to find work in another industry should you later decide you want to leave teaching. For primary, your degree subject doesn't matter too much, although having one in a core subject can be slightly advantageous when applying for training. I say slightly because I'm a primary teacher and work in the same year group as someone with a business degree!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending