Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone lie that they did extra curriculum activities and that they are captain of their hockey team etc?I mean no one would know?Did anyone lie or know someone who did?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Don't even think about it....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    Can someone lie that they did extra curriculum activities and that they are captain of their hockey team etc?I mean no one would know?Did anyone lie or know someone who did?
    Honestly you can and theres a >99% chance you wont be caught but why risk it?
    also depends on if your course interviews

ReputationRep:
    Everyone does it, especially with the extra curricular stuff.

make up the situation and examples in your head if you get invited to interviews so you can talk about em though. I never had to do an interview for any of my offers.

I'm pretty sure they expect you to lie about charity/sport stuff tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, lie. Lie like you've never lied before. They won't notice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yaboi)

make up the situation and examples in your head if you get invited to interviews so you can talk about em though. I never had to do an interview for any of my offers.

Or you could, now hear me out, DO some charity work and volunteering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Don't even think about it....
    (Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
    Honestly you can and theres a >99% chance you wont be caught but why risk it?
    also depends on if your course interviews
    (Original post by Yaboi)

Everyone lies tbh and you just need to make sure if you get interviewed you can trace back the steps and make it believable. I lied about being a sports captain only lol and then exaggerated my responsibilities.

ReputationRep:
    I know so many people who done it and it upset me that I didn't do it… it worked out well for me and I've probably done better than them in terms of offers but It annoyed me that I did loads of things for the sake of my PS when people just lied and makes me wonder how much time I could've saved

ReputationRep:
    Or... you could not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    I know so many people who done it and it upset me that I didn't do it… it worked out well for me and I've probably done better than them in terms of offers but It annoyed me that I did loads of things for the sake of my PS when people just lied and makes me wonder how much time I could've saved
    same for my application, i spent time as chairman of student council, co editor of school magazine, organized charity events at my school then some people just lie about it, quite unfair
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emz99)
    Everyone lies tbh and you just need to make sure if you get interviewed you can trace back the steps and make it believable. I lied about being a sports captain only lol and then exaggerated my responsibilities.
    I kid. Everyone exaggerates a little.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I don't know maybe 'creatively embellish' so like if you played hockey for a couple of terms during year ten then maybe overplay your role in the team. But don't out right lie like if you have never played hockey before and lie about it on ucas. For example you get to the interview and one of the interviewers is an avid hockey player who thinks they have found a kindred spirit it will become clear very quickly that you don't know what you're on about and then you then give off an impression that you're a liar.
    Also I knew someone who lied about their gcse grades only minorly but they still lied and got found out. he got given the job anyway however when HR reviewed his application they saw he lied and fired him even though he had already started the job.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    It baffles me that people feel the urge to lie about extra curriculars that aren't important in any way....why make your application fraudulent for zero benefit.

No university is going to give you an offer/place based on your captaining a team or taking part in a sport....why bother lying about something that has zero impact on your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    It baffles me that people feel the urge to lie about extra curriculars that aren't important in any way....why make your application fraudulent for zero benefit.

No university is going to give you an offer/place based on your captaining a team or taking part in a sport....why bother lying about something that has zero impact on your application.
    better to have it in there than not at all. Where's the harm?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    It makes your application fraudulent.

If you get caught out in the lie you could lose your offer (or place).

What's the point in lying for zero gain and for high risk if caught out?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PQ is so right... why lie? There's literally no point and if you get caught out, you may lose your places (and quite rightly so). What's the point? Just be honest, it's not hard. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    It makes your application fraudulent.

If you get caught out in the lie you could lose your offer (or place).

What's the point in lying for zero gain and for high risk if caught out?
    Pretty sure most people exaggerate or tell a little white lie in their personal statement, it's not as big of a deal as you're making it tbh. Same with interviews

ReputationRep:
    How is it better to have it? The universities that would give you credit for something like that can be counted on the fingers of one foot. There is quite literally, therefore, no benefit in the claim, even if it is true. The downside of being caught is a binned application. Can you weigh up the balance of that choice? It seems easy to me: no chance of a gain versus a small chance of a catastrophic loss. It's a bit like playing Russian roulette.

A more apposite question, for most candidates is, Should I mention such a thing even if it is true, as it uses up valuable space?

For most people the answer should be a resounding No!
    • Very Important Poster

Will you always lie about your extra curriculars? If you get caught then the act of being a fraud and lying is much more serious than any advantage to be gained..
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure most people exaggerate or tell a little white lie in their personal statement, it's not as big of a deal as you're making it tbh. Same with interviews
    Why would you bother though?

There is NO benefit.

It's like lying in an interview - what's the POINT. If you lie about something important they're likely to either check or spot it as a lie. If you're lying about something not important then why bother.

Even if you do get away with it why bother: There's no point in getting a place at university or a job that you aren't right for through deception. You only put yourself in a situation where you're forced to continue the deception or get caught out very quickly - neither of those options make for a happy life.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.