Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Why would you bother though?

There is NO benefit.

It's like lying in an interview - what's the POINT. If you lie about something important they're likely to either check or spot it as a lie. If you're lying about something not important then why bother.

Even if you do get away with it why bother: There's no point in getting a place at university or a job that you aren't right for through deception. You only put yourself in a situation where you're forced to continue the deception or get caught out very quickly - neither of those options make for a happy life.
    Omg. Saying you did a extra curricular activity is really not the end of the world. You won't be forced to continue that deception. Once they accept your application, no one will say 'hey so tell me more about that extra curricular activity u did in year 11 otherwise you'll be kicked out of uni'. That just doesn't happen. You won't be scarred for life just because you made up an example of when you demonstrated leadership skills

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    How is it better to have it? The universities that would give you credit for something like that can be counted on the fingers of one foot. There is quite literally, therefore, no benefit in the claim, even if it is true. The downside of being caught is a binned application. Can you weigh up the balance of that choice? It seems easy to me: no chance of a gain versus a small chance of a catastrophic loss. It's a bit like playing Russian roulette.

A more apposite question, for most candidates is, Should I mention such a thing even if it is true, as it uses up valuable space?

For most people the answer should be a resounding No!
    Yeah it's totally like playing Russian roulette

I stretched the truth on my PS and in interviews and I didn't die

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Will you always lie about your extra curriculars? If you get caught then the act of being a fraud and lying is much more serious than any advantage to be gained..
    When I feel it's necessary then yes I will. When you go to an interview for McDonald's and they ask you why you want the job, the real answer is because you're broke and you want money. Is that how you respond? No. You make up some sh*t that you know they want to hear

ReputationRep:
    If they ask for a reference from your school/college, surely they'll pick up on the fact you lied?

Best way is to not lie, then you can't be tripped up on anything or worry that it will come back to haunt you.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Omg. Saying you did a extra curricular activity is really not the end of the world. You won't be forced to continue that deception. Once they accept your application, no one will say 'hey so tell me more about that extra curricular activity u did in year 11 otherwise you'll be kicked out of uni'. That just doesn't happen. You won't be scarred for life just because you made up an example of when you demonstrated leadership skills
    Universities are looking for STUDENTS not LEADERS - what is the POINT in lying on an application about something that isn't desirable?

You might as well add in your bra size (but add on a few cup sizes) to your PS for all the benefit lying about captaining a sports team or similar will have. Where statements in a PS are important they WILL be checked.

So why lie?

You keep coming up with excuses and deflecting away from the question.

What is the BENEFIT of lying in this case? Why make the EFFORT of making something up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Universities are looking for STUDENTS not LEADERS - what is the POINT in lying on an application about something that isn't desirable?

You might as well add in your bra size (but add on a few cup sizes) to your PS for all the benefit lying about captaining a sports team or similar will have. Where statements in a PS are important they WILL be checked.

So why lie?

What is the BENEFIT of lying in this case? Why make the EFFORT of making something up?
    Well that was an example, but in an interview it's not uncommon for them to ask you to give an example of when you demonstrated a particular skill or you may stretch the truth to bulk up on your work experience.

The benefit is that is makes you look more appealing especially when they're looking for key skills and filtering out students who haven't demonstrated evidence of them
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Well that was an example, but in an interview it's not uncommon for them to ask you to give an example of when you demonstrated a particular skill or you may stretch the truth to bulk up on your work experience.

The benefit is that is makes you look more appealing especially when they're looking for key skills and filtering out students who haven't demonstrated evidence of them
    So you lie in an interview and get an offer and a place based on demonstrating skills that you haven't got....

why would that be a benefit again? That's just setting yourself up to fail (and spending a lot of time and money in the process).

ReputationRep:
    Don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    That's just setting yourself up to fail (and spending a lot of time and money in the process).
    And giving the employer a means of effecting a dismissal without normal process. A lie on a CV can come back to bite you a long time after the recruitment takes place, and can be a useful resort for a company looking to get rid of a borderline employee without going through the normal and time-consuming disciplinary process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    So you lie in an interview and get an offer and a place based on demonstrating skills that you haven't got....

why would that be a benefit again? That's just setting yourself up to fail (and spending a lot of time and money in the process).
    yeah, but just because you haven't had experience of it doesn't mean you won't be any good at it. They don't really care about that though, that's their way of singling people out which is quite silly IMO so you do what you have to do.

Do you know how many times I applied for My first job at McDonald's online before I even made it to interview stage? I even went to a couple of interviews with them. I didn't gain any new experience or skills overnight yet I was unsuccessful on several occasions but successful on the other simply because I changed one answer on the multiple choice question and gave an example of team work.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    yeah, but just because you haven't had experience of it doesn't mean you won't be any good at it. They don't really care about that though, that's their way of singling people out which is quite silly IMO so you do what you have to do.

Do you know how many times I applied for My first job at McDonald's online before I even made it to interview stage? I even went to a couple of interviews with them. I didn't gain any new experience or skills overnight yet I was unsuccessful on several occasions but successful on the other simply because I changed one answer on the multiple choice question and gave an example of team work.
    Again you're really not justifying going to the bother of lying on a university personal statement. Anything that is IMPORTANT will be checked (and so a lie would be spotted), anything that isn't important isn't important (so isn't worth lying about). You haven't actually given any benefits to lying just excuses about why you personally have lied.

You've now switched tack to talk about lying in an interview for an entry level job. As GoodBloke says that's pretty stupid - you just make yourself easy to fire without repercussion. And for a pretty pointless reason - Why would you need to make up an example of team work? There's opportunities to work in a team outside of formal work or sport environments. Having sat on MANY interview panels for jobs I've got no sympathy for applicants who think they can get one over on the panel by making things up - it's easy to spot and doesn't really make you an appealing prospective employee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Again you're really not justifying going to the bother of lying on a university personal statement. Anything that is IMPORTANT will be checked (and so a lie would be spotted), anything that isn't important isn't important (so isn't worth lying about). You haven't actually given any benefits to lying just excuses about why you personally have lied.

You've now switched tack to talk about lying in an interview for an entry level job. As GoodBloke says that's pretty stupid - you just make yourself easy to fire without repercussion. And for a pretty pointless reason - Why would you need to make up an example of team work? There's opportunities to work in a team outside of formal work or sport environments. Having sat on MANY interview panels for jobs I've got no sympathy for applicants who think they can get one over on the panel by making things up - it's easy to spot and doesn't really make you an appealing prospective employee.
    I did say that the benefit is that you look more appealing on your application. If it doesn't matter to them or it's not important then no harm is done. If it important to them then you're covered. I'm not telling someone to go make up something ridiculous by saying that they volunteered in Kenya during their gap year, provided running water to the poor and taught English to the blind but in terms of something minor like reading a book or being part of the basketball team in secondary school, it's not a big deal.

I made up an example because I was under pressure and my mind went blank, which isn't rare in interviews. If it's minor, it's not easy to spot at all. You're just making a big deal out of nothing tbh

ReputationRep:
    I hate liars.

ReputationRep:
    You'll regret it if you do and it's just not worth it. It'll be a black mark on your records and it will be harder to find jobs and stuff

ReputationRep:
    Just don't write that you're an olympic athlete while looking like a pepsi can.

ReputationRep:
    If you wanted to talk about doing extra curricular activities then you should have taken some up.

I talked about my volunteer work as an LGBT Officer in my college's Student Association in my personal statement. It's something I'm proud of and was very excited to talk about and I'm quite sure my enthusiasm for it came across.

ReputationRep:
    are you writing the personal statement for next year?

ReputationRep:
    Little lies have a habit of turning into bigger ones. Lying is immoral. Liars are not nice people to have as friends.

Don't lie.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Or you could've actually done things to put down that would have enhanced your university application... like we all have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)

So why lie?

PQ has a point. Lying gets you nowhere. The university wants to know how good you are at learning, studying and working hard. Lying and cheating is wrong and it devalues all the hard work that other people who have not lied about doing positive things in the community etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.