Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am predicted a 1st class degree for my BA studies in Fine Art, and am in my final semester. Eventually I want to become a teacher and be able to travel and work overseas. Im aware I will need a TEFL qualification for this, as well as experience - and I intend to take a 'gap' year to attain these so I can then apply for a PGCE.
    However, I've had it set in my mind that I am going to do a Masters degree before all this, and I'm now wondering if its necessary? Does anyone know how better off I will be if I have a BA, MA and PGCE? Im not sure whether I should just concentrate on the teaching and forget my Fine Art MA... totally stuck!! Any advice would be amazing please! Thanks in advance
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by EFC1994)
    I am predicted a 1st class degree for my BA studies in Fine Art, and am in my final semester. Eventually I want to become a teacher and be able to travel and work overseas. Im aware I will need a TEFL qualification for this, as well as experience - and I intend to take a 'gap' year to attain these so I can then apply for a PGCE.
    However, I've had it set in my mind that I am going to do a Masters degree before all this, and I'm now wondering if its necessary? Does anyone know how better off I will be if I have a BA, MA and PGCE? Im not sure whether I should just concentrate on the teaching and forget my Fine Art MA... totally stuck!! Any advice would be amazing please! Thanks in advance
    It's really up to you - with the new MA loans you'd be able to get funding of £10k towards an MA (and this wouldn't affect your eligibility for PGCE funding).

An MA could well be a big help in gaining jobs abroad or if you're interested in teaching at FE or university level.

It's worth applying for an MA (and associated funding) - you can always decide it isn't for you and take a gap year instead. It's possible that you'd find the workload for an MA would be manageable enough to take TEFL alongside it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2017
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.