Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Accused of racism at university. Please help! Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Not sure if that would help my case lol
    In all seriousness I don't know how someone is that sensitive. I've been called sandni**er, terrorist, goat****er, isis etc and it actually makes my day, good chuckle for me.

(Original post by ThePricklyOne)
    Why would asking about her accent be racist?

There's a Danish mature student in my class. We got talking and I asked her about her accent because it was distinctive but I couldn't guess where's she's from. She didn't get offended.
    I've asked lots of people since coming here the exact question including friends, flat mates, coursemates and seminar tutors. They have all been very happy to explain where they are from whether British or from abroad. This is why I didn't think it was such a big issue. This really has shaken me up a bit actually.

(Original post by l'etranger)
    Did she lose family in the Holocaust? (Don't ask obviously) I just don't see how someone can be so bloody sensitive, if I knew someone who say had a relative who died in the Charleston shooting, I would show sensitivity, but in general if she can't handle an innocent question, she belongs in a mental asylum.
    Although I'm not sure I don't think she did lose any family. The inky reason I say this is that during one of the lectures we had two lecturers. The first one did lose his family and spoke about it. When it was her time to speak she just said she is a Dr in Holocaust studies or something to that effect.
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    Is she ashamed or embarrassed of her ethnicity smh :rolleyes: - hate people like that.
    I'm really not sure why she was so offended I wish I knew so I could make amends.

(Original post by Pikachū)
    In all seriousness I don't know how someone is that sensitive. I've been called sandni**er, terrorist, goat****er, isis etc and it actually makes my day, good chuckle for me.
    Oh my I do think that is incredibly rude of those people but at least it doesn't get you down. Thank you for the support. I'm glad to know I'm not entirely in the wrong here.

ReputationRep:
    Well if what you're saying is true then this is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in my entire life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikachū)
    In general I'm very critical of how in some quarters of this country, eastern Europeans are definitely an accepted target for the salient insular thinking of many White working class Brits, but it's not like the teacher was even a part of a group which suffers really overt abuse like South Asians or Middle Easterners. I stand by what I said above, but nobody asks questions like ''do eastern Europeans even have a place in the UK?''

(Original post by jambojim97)
    Well if what you're saying is true then this is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in my entire life.
    It is unfortunately. I'm just worried about what she has told them to warrant an investigation. Surely I couldn't have offended her to the extent she would make something up, what would be the point in her doing that? I'm hoping she has told the truth and that I can just explain things and that be it. I'm so worried though.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Although I'm not sure I don't think she did lose any family. The inky reason I say this is that during one of the lectures we had two lecturers. The first one did lose his family and spoke about it. When it was her time to speak she just said she is a Dr in Holocaust studies or something to that effect.

I'm really not sure why she was so offended I wish I knew so I could make amends.
    Ngl that is incredibly pompous of her. Barely anyone is actually racist (at least explicitly) nowadays, especially university students. To presume you are being racist just from asking where her accent is from is a whole new level of sensitivity. I ask where everyone is from lmao, and I've been quizzed on my ethnicity to a great extent, had people ask if I am x ethnicity, but I don't clutch my pearls and scream racist. :rolleyes:

All I can think of to perhaps rationalise her reaction is that she had had enough of Eastern European demonisation in the media, but no, that isn't a good enough reason and a grown woman shouldn't be scared. If that even was her frame of mind. :erm:

Don't feel guilty, hold your head up high and know you have done nothing wrong - you don't need to worry about making amends.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think that my student union would be of any use? I know SUs tend to distance themselves from anyone that had been accused of racism.
    you should have word with your student union rep. The union is supposed to represent students and help you when you have problems.

When you go into a meeting with the university administration, it would invaluable for you to have a student union rep sitting with you. You don't want to go in on your own.

If you don't want to use the union, ask another adult (not uni staff) that you know to go with you.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'etranger)
    In general I'm very critical of how in some quarters of this country, eastern Europeans are definitely an accepted target for the salient insular thinking of many White working class Brits, but it's not like the teacher was even a part of a group which suffers really overt abuse like South Asians or Middle Easterners. I stand by what I said above, but nobody asks questions like ''do eastern Europeans even have a place in the UK?''
    To be fair Eastern Euros do experience a lot of abuse. I went to a sh!tty chav school and the Poles were bullied the most by far. More than Blacks/Muslims, but that's probably because they couldn't speak English. I still remember after P.E lessons in the changing rooms everyone used to beat the **** out of the polish kids :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I would let your parents know; wouldn't do any harm. They might suggest you contact a solicitor. If she is going to accuse you of racism which may potentially get you thrown out of uni you need to fight your corner with everything you've got.

ReputationRep:
    She needs to get a grip if getting asked about her accent is "racist" in her eyes. I can't even fathom what type of excuses she could think of which would classify this as racism?

ReputationRep:
    The reason why she might have been sensitive could be because she could have experienced racism herself.

As someone with a foreign accent, I can tell you that you probably asked the question at an akward time. I am Eastern European so when someone asks me where I come from I tend to be quite reluctant to give the asnwer since I don't know whether the person I just curious or they just want to use it against me. However...

Asking someone nationality based on their accent is not racist if you are just genuinelly curious. I asked the same question to other people.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have a very serious situation at my university. I was emailed by my university a short while ago stating that I have been accused of making a racist remark to one of my lecturers. I'm now being investigated and I have to have a meeting with some committee next week. I'm so scared and I'm here looking for some advice.

We were studying the Holocaust and genocide and, as part of the module, we have to watch a film. On the night of the film the lecturer had difficulty getting the DVD to work and asked for some help. No one got up to help so I volunteered to go up and try to help. Whilst trying to get it to work I tried to make conversation with the lecturer. I asked the lecturer where her accent was from and at that moment the DVD started to work. She curtly responded by would I want or need to know that? I was a bit taken aback as at uni with all the different nationalities and accents I thought this was quite a normal topic of conversation when getting to know someone new. I kinda just blurted her the truth; myself and my friends had been discussing it at dinner and none of us could quite put our finger on her accent. She bluntly said what is your name. I told her my first name and she said "no, I want your full name". She wrote it down and stormed out of the lecture hall leaving the film playing.

I was a bit shocked but didn't think that much of it. I sat and watched the film. Now I've recieved this email and I really don't know what to do. I'm terrified I'll be kicked out for racism. I honestly asked the question very innocently and didn't mean to be racist. I don't know what she has told them but it is obviously going to be my word against hers and I know universities are very strict about this kind of thing, so they will likely talk her side over mine.

I'm so worried. I have another meeting next week as well because last term I drank a too much and passed out (obviously didn't know my limit which was incredibly stupid, and I won't be doing it again) so I'm in thin ice as it is seemingly.

Please, if you can, give me some advice. I'm such a mess right now and can't imagine the humiliation of being kicked out of university for being racist.

Thank you if you read all of this, I really appreciate it.
    Well...where was the accent from?

ReputationRep:
    Whew, having an ironic post deleted for "offensiveness" is pretty laughable

ReputationRep:
    You can call The police on her you know I'm sure theres something some where that states what she is doing is wrong If she's being too pernickity. This is quite serious.

ReputationRep:
    From your account, which I have no reason to question, you weren't racist. The lecturer was ill-prepared (didn't know how to operate the equipment) and unprofessional in their response to an innocuous question. Perhaps they felt under stress and reacted inappropriately to a normal conversation topic. They should be reprimanded for crying wolf IMO.

ReputationRep:
    if it was in front of the class there should be witnesses. Doubt anything will happen once they ask the other students.
    • Very Important Poster

It is unfortunately. I'm just worried about what she has told them to warrant an investigation. Surely I couldn't have offended her to the extent she would make something up, what would be the point in her doing that? I'm hoping she has told the truth and that I can just explain things and that be it. I'm so worried though.
    This is why tomorrow you need to go and see an advisor at the SU/ student rep/ supervisor. Do the things that i suggested previously. On your version then you have nothing to worry about, but you do need to make sure you have someone to accompany/ represent you so your side gets told.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carthaginian)
    Then don't be a cuck.
    You literally did nothing wrong, and they have no evidence against you.
    But how in the heck is that racist anyway?
    People these days and their buzzwords. They'd say anything is racist.
    Yeah buzzwords... What do people think cuck means? I get the impression a lot of people use "cuck" without knowing what it means.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.