Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Accused of racism at university. Please help! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It is unfortunately. I'm just worried about what she has told them to warrant an investigation. Surely I couldn't have offended her to the extent she would make something up, what would be the point in her doing that? I'm hoping she has told the truth and that I can just explain things and that be it. I'm so worried though.
    What uni are you at? You can pm me if you want.

If this is for real, just stay calm and explain the truth, you did nothing wrong. They can't do anything to you, your classmates and friends can testify.

This is why Trump one, ridiculous radical leftist culture. I'm all for progressive values, but this isn't right.

On the other hand, maybe next time don't tell your lecturer you were talking about them over dinner with your friends ?

There's so much non-sense like this among faculty members that go under the radar and are not addressed or taken seriously.

ReputationRep:
    I am so sick of everyone playing the race card all the time.

Asking someone who they are from as they have an accent is not racist. It's just asking a question fgs.

If it was me I would tell them what you have told us. That you only asked her where she was from as you found her accent interesting, you were making conversation.

What a sad world we live in when you can't ask a person where they are from.. Jeez

I would tell the university you don't appreciate being labelled or accused of being a racist and when you have a classroom of people who witnessed the incident.

ReputationRep:
    just say u had no racist intentions...but in the future i wouldnt ask something like that ever again...to anyone lol

ReputationRep:
    Complain about the lecturer for wrongfully accusing you of racism, slandering your name, wasting your time. What a stupid *****. If the university does reprimand you, sue them in a court of law. There's money to be had here. Ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    I would get professional legal advice.

I am not comfortable going into an investigative committee hearing assuming their benevolence for the alleged perpetrator. You are usually allowed to take one friend/supporter not related to the case to take with you. Have your legal counsel present at the meeting advising you on each question and acting as an eye-witness to the proceedings at the very least. Ask them to record it as well.

BUT if you don't want to get professional legal advice, get a very very smart/well-loved by professors/popular friend who can vouch for your character. The friend should preferably be from a minority community. Bonus points for not being British. Double bonus points for being Eastern European.

And in the future, pad your question with, "you have the most beautiful and unique accent I've ever heard. I want to use it as my voicemail greeting. May I know where it is from?"

You weren't being racist. Even professors can be idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SonoLuma)
    Yeah buzzwords... What do people think cuck means? I get the impression a lot of people use "cuck" without knowing what it means.
    cuck, short for cuckold, the meaning's shifted a bit now.
    in this context, it's used when you get used like a beta.

ReputationRep:
    So how did it go OP?

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking the same. Hope things are or have been resolved.

ReputationRep:
    Most universities have policies they have to follow. So if someone accuses someone else of certain offences, they are obliged to follow it up with an interview or investigation. It doesn't mean the accusation has any merit at all. And your case really sounds like it doesn't.

The advice to take a representative is good. Even just a friend is fine. Asking whether you can record the meeting is worthwhile too, but they may say no.

ReputationRep:
    That seems a bit of an overreaction - it's maybe a little weird to say you were talking about her but inquiring where someone is from isn't a big deal. I would just say you apologise profusely for any offense caused and then explain what you've said - you were just making conversation and being friendly. I doubt they will kick you out for it, if you'd made an overtly and clearly racist comment perhaps, but this can clearly be explained as an innocent mistake.

I would also contact your student union as they may be able to help you with the formal procedure.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with 999tigger, I'd be livid! I would be telling them about how much stress it has caused me too. Any update? Dying to know what happened!
    • Very Important Poster

Yes do give an update. It makes me sad you got upset OP. I can imagine the shock and you sound like a natural worrier. On what you have told us, then the lecturer seems paranoid and doesnt understand what racism is. They dont even understand the difference between that and xenophobia. I hope rather than being apologetic that you or better your representative were able to give an accurate account of events and pointed out the accusations were offensive plus unfounded. In that respect if there are apologies being given it should be from the lecturer to you as its a serious allegation.

As was pointed out if she was east european , then maybe she has encountered some xenophobia or hostility in her own country. Also th if she makes an official complaint, then they are duty bound to investigate (a good point made by someone else). Hopefully those investigating will see it for what it is and apply some common sense.

ReputationRep:
    Very much doubt this story is true or a full account of what really happened.
    • TSR Support Team

Don't see how this can be racist, she sounds crazy this lecturer.

ReputationRep:
    Just tell then your side of the story and stick to as close to the truth as possible. From what I've read I haven't seen the slightest bit of racism tbh. Just make sure you sound confident in what you're saying and that the situation is an honest mistake

Any updates?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.