Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Election of a Speaker: 2nd Round of Voting Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Who should be elected Speaker of the Model House of Commons?
    adam9317
    55.56%
    PetrosAC
    44.44%

• Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Having gotten to talk to him he is genuinely nice, and has s cracking memory, managed to recite one of Tony Benn's remarks off the top of his head, may be the one in my signature as I forget which one I'm using currently.
    Fair enough haha!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The poll's closed :eek:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    :excited:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Saracen's Fez :poke:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    He needs to put down those pints (of vodka!)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Yes, it'll come in the update, which I'm about to start.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    best of luck to you, Candidates!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations to adam9317, who is our new Speaker-elect.

I will continue to discharge the duties of the Speaker until he has been powered up and given usergroup controls.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Friends, it is a great honour to be elected as speaker of our house. Thank you to each one of you! I look forward to doing my best in running this house to the best of my ability and ensuring the house remains active, entertaining and most importantly fun.

At this stage I would like to thanks PetrosAC for his stellar campaign and drive for this position. The result was close, and I do hope that you do not lose motivation from this result, there will be plenty of chances in the future, it was close; and I would like to thank my predecessor Saracen's Fez who I’m sure you will agree with me did an amazing job, putting in plenty of work and conducting his stewardship of the house with the upmost dignity. Your contribution to the house has helped it be where it is today, so thank you.

As I conduct the transition process with SF I will endeavour to start my role as speaker ASAP, which will most likely be as soon as I can start doing updates, which is whenever I gain control of the MP user group, likely the beginning of the week. In the mean time I will be discussing over the weekend with SF and Toronto different processes etc which need to be put in place, ensuring I have access to all relevant materials and documents to effectively run this house.

I will do my upmost best to ensure I conduct my stewardship of this house to the best of my ability. I hope in the early days as I find my feet that you do give me a chance to get used to the job, but I will ensure it all runs smoothly. If I can do anything to be of any assistance to any member of the house what so ever, please do contact me. I am the people’s speaker, and as I mentioned, the MPs don’t work for the speaker; the speaker works for the MPs.

Many thanks to each and every one of you who voted for me, and also to those who voted for Petros, but let’s keep our house operating with greatness, with great activity and most importantly, ensure that the fun remains within our house; that is fundamentally the bread and butter of our politics in this house!

I do hope you all have a great weekend. Although I may not have formally taken over all speaker duties, please do contact me regarding anything in the coming days, and I will do my best to assist!

Adam

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.