The Student Room Group

Nottingham law just rejected me and I'm now depressed

Hey guys,
I'm Italian and I've seen that Nottingham just rejected mad...
Honestly I'm mad cause I sent my application the 14th of January and I got the rejection just now (that is the 17th). I mean, I think that they've barely seen my application and I put so much effort on my personal statement...

Right now my other choices are:

Politics, Philosophy & Law LLB - King's College (I really really hope to get into this one... but after Nottingham rejected me I don't know if it will be possibile...)
Law LLB - UCL
Law LLB - Queen Mary
Law with Chinese Law LLB - Sheffield

I think that I could get into Sheffield Law with Chinese Law cause I'm sure that nobody applied for this course.
But the fact that Nottingham rejected me in just 3 DAYS makes me very depressed.
Any opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Geographer98
Hey guys,
Honestly I'm mad cause I sent my application the 14th of January and I got the rejection just now (that is the 17th). I mean, I think that they've barely seen my application and I put so much effort on my personal statement...

Politics, Philosophy & Law LLB - King's College (I really really hope to get into this one... but after Nottingham rejected me I don't know if it will be possibile...)
Law LLB - UCL
Law LLB - Queen Mary

I think that I could get into Sheffield Law with Chinese Law cause I'm sure that nobody applied for this course.
But the fact that Nottingham rejected me in just 3 DAYS makes me very depressed.
Any opinions?

Hey, have you heard back from anywhere else? :smile:

I wouldn't worry too much, you will have to wait it out and see what other offers you will get. Rejection from one choice doesn't necessarily mean that you will be rejected by the 'better' universities you have chosen to apply to, such as King's.

There are different areas the various admissions teams will place differing weight on. Taking into account the aspects of your application, while your LNAT may matter more than your personal statement to one choice, it may be the contrary for another choice.

If it is concerning you perhaps ask for feedback from Nottingham.
aw dw:h:
u'll get other offers

do this :

Spoiler

Original post by JohnGreek
Shottingham's not worth that much effort. Perhaps UCL

S**ttingham's :u:
Nottingham is a horrible place anyway, I'm sure you'll get somewhere better.
Thanks for the replies guys!
The painting made me laugh but, as somebody said, Nottingham doesn't deserve all this effort :biggrin:

At the moment I didn't receive any updates from my chosen unis. Tomorrow I will delete Nottingham as one of my choices (since they rejected me) and I need to decide between Bristol and Warwick.

Anyway I really hope to get into the King's one (Politics, Philosophy & Law). I love the course but I know that there are few places for it. Fingers crossed!
So, I asked for a feedback and they replied:

"Thank you for your email which has been forwarded to me as the Admissions Officer responsible for applications to undergraduate courses within the School of Law here at the University of Nottingham.
Having reviewed your application again I can tell you that whilst your achieved and predicted grades and other elements of your application were strong, we were ultimately unable to offer you a place on the course due to the score which you attained in the LNAT."

Now I'm SO WORRIED that I won't receive an offer by King's... I didn't think that my LNAT score was that bad.

"Thank you for your email which has been forwarded to me as the Admissions Officer responsible for applications to undergraduate courses within the School of Law here at the University of Nottingham.
Having reviewed your application again I can tell you that whilst your achieved and predicted grades and other elements of your application were strong, we were ultimately unable to offer you a place on the course due to the score which you attained in the LNAT."

Now I'm SO WORRIED that I won't receive an offer by King's... I didn't think that my LNAT score was that bad.

Hm... I guess that King's (though seemingly more prestigious) may put less weighting on LNAT because its course isn't straight law?
And even if it occurs that your LNAT score isn't as expected, Queen Mary has a pretty impressive law school, and it doesn't use LNAT. So don't worry! ^^
Don't let Sh*ttingham have the satisfaction of putting you down because they made a rushed and perhaps wrong decision :smile:
Original post by Titania_Fleuret_
Hm... I guess that King's (though seemingly more prestigious) may put less weighting on LNAT because its course isn't straight law?
And even if it occurs that your LNAT score isn't as expected, Queen Mary has a pretty impressive law school, and it doesn't use LNAT. So don't worry! ^^
Don't let Sh*ttingham have the satisfaction of putting you down because they made a rushed and perhaps wrong decision :smile:

Thanks, I hope so!
The fact is that my LNAT wasn't so great.
My essay was very short (347 words) but at least it was a good essay, I think.
The course that I chosed at King's isn't straight law but I mean, it's still a LLB. And it's che course that I like most, being rejected would be horrible for me.

Thanks for supporting me guys!
Reply 9

Do you want to spend 3 years studying Chinese law?
Original post by jneill

It's a regular English law degree with 2 Chinese law modules, Chinese language and it's 4 years because you spend the third year in China.
Honestly I like it, I don't think it's bad.
Original post by jneill

Why not? if they ahve the ability it would give them a USP and be highly valuable.
Reply 12
It's a regular English law degree with 2 Chinese law modules, Chinese language and it's 4 years because you spend the third year in China.
Honestly I like it, I don't think it's bad.

Cool. Sounds good.

I was just concerned you picked it thinking it may be an "easy" route in to law.

Original post by 999tigger
Why not? if they ahve the ability it would give them a USP and be highly valuable.

Indeed. Assuming that was the reason, which it seems it is. All good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks, I hope so!
The fact is that my LNAT wasn't so great.
My essay was very short (347 words) but at least it was a good essay, I think.
The course that I chosed at King's isn't straight law but I mean, it's still a LLB. And it's che course that I like most, being rejected would be horrible for me.

Thanks for supporting me guys!

Hello. I'm sorry about your rejection. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I was wondering if your standard of English is good enough? You wrote above, "The course that I chosed". It may be that when you wrote this you wrote it in error. But let me tell you, no native English speaking person would ever, ever say chosed. If [and I don't know] you wrote like that on your PS without perfect English, this could be one reason for your rejection. [Hope I haven't offended you].
Original post by markova21
Hello. I'm sorry about your rejection. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I was wondering if your standard of English is good enough? You wrote above, "The course that I chosed". It may be that when you wrote this you wrote it in error. But let me tell you, no native English speaking person would ever, ever say chosed. If [and I don't know] you wrote like that on your PS without perfect English, this could be one reason for your rejection. [Hope I haven't offended you].

Hey! It's ok, I'm not offended.
You're right, the past simple of "choose" is "chose"!
I'm Italian but I lived in the United States for one year so my English isn't that bad.
I checked my personal statement so many times and an English guy checked it too so it should be ok.
I just got an offer by Sheffield for Law with Chinese Law.
But still need to wait from all the others: King's, UCL, QMUL and Warwick.
I doubt I could get an offer for Warwick "Law with year abroad" because practically I applied late for it (when I got rejected by Nottingham I substituted it with Warwick and I did it the 25th of January).

My top choice is PPL at King's and I really hope to have an offer by them!

PS: sorry for any English mistake - It's a lot of time that I don't speak English daily.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ok I got rejected by UCL too...
"Regrettably, your performance in the LNAT was judged not to be as strong as that of other applicants".

If I won't get into Politics, Philosophy & Law LLB at King's probably I'm going to take a gap year :frown:
Still need to wait from King's and QMUL...
Ok I got rejected by UCL too...
"Regrettably, your performance in the LNAT was judged not to be as strong as that of other applicants".

If I won't get into Politics, Philosophy & Law LLB at King's probably I'm going to take a gap year :frown:
Still need to wait from King's and QMUL...

Hi! I've also got a rejection from UCL due to LNAT score and waiting for King's too (M100) :smile: And I'm an international student too. Don't worry, I'm sure everything's gonna be the way it's supposed to be! Keep my fingers crossed for you :wink: I'm also considering a gap year if I won't get an offer from King's.
(edited 7 years ago)

What was your LNAT score (I'm still waiting on Nottingham)
Reply 19
Hey guys,

Law LLB - UCL
Law LLB - Queen Mary

Any opinions?

No arsed,mate. Nottingham 've struggled in the wilderness like their both footie teams.

Quick Reply

Latest