Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    I should probably post this anonymously because of the tiny chance my parents know my TSR name... I hope not.

    My parents are separated at the moment, ie don't sleep in the same bed, dad works away 5 or 6 days a week and sometimes comes back on weekends etc, but they aren't legally separated or divorced. However, I know that they're going to begin the process of legally separating soon, or soon after I go to uni.

    In this way, my dad's income is high at the moment but once he has to pay alimony etc, it'll be much lower. Also, my mum doesn't have a job and is technically disabled, so my residency would be with her -- 0 income. However, my parents will be living in the same house for a bit until they sort out finance, and would probably still share bills or whatever whilst in the process of splitting.

    I guess my question is: when I apply for student finance, my financial situation will be massively up in the air, liable to change. At some point in the future whilst at university, my residency will drop from a high income house to a 0 income house and I'll be eligible for bursaries etc.

    What should I do? Who can I talk to? What's the best course of action for myself and my parents? Can I change my student finance amount whilst in first or second year?

    Thank you - any answers would be massively appreciated.
    • TSR Support Team

    TSR Support Team
    Hi there,

    If your parents are still living together, we'll require both of them to supply their financial details to us.

    However, if, later on, your Dad moves out permanently, we can always re-assess you based on your Mum's details. (This can happen even if your course has already started). We'll need some evidence to show this; so, whenever you're able, send a copy of this evidence to us along with a covering letter from yourself explaining what happened. We can then update the application.

Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.