Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I often find it difficult to write all my ideas out concisely in the recommended time frames for each question. I often write too much on one point and not enough on others. Any advice to improve this and make sure I'm fine for the real thing?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    it all depends on the subject, best thing to do is practice past paper questions under timed conditions and read through the mark-schemes, the more you familiarise yourself with what points get the mark the better you will be at setting out your final answers. Eventually when you sit the real thing you will be able to read a question and know where the marks are coming from due to that practice, plus it will help you manage your time better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by retro_turtles)
    it all depends on the subject, best thing to do is practice past paper questions under timed conditions and read through the mark-schemes, the more you familiarise yourself with what points get the mark the better you will be at setting out your final answers. Eventually when you sit the real thing you will be able to read a question and know where the marks are coming from due to that practice, plus it will help you manage your time better.
    Thanks! It's specifically English. I do well in English but worry that small mistakes like spending too much time in a certain place will cost me a few marks that make the difference. Do you think this is something that can easily be fixed by May?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e2014)
    Thanks! It's specifically English. I do well in English but worry that small mistakes like spending too much time in a certain place will cost me a few marks that make the difference. Do you think this is something that can easily be fixed by May?
    yeah definitely! I'm guessing english langauge? For language i tended to do the high mark questions first then leave the questions with the low marks last, that way even if i didn't get to finish i still did the majority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e2014)
    I often find it difficult to write all my ideas out concisely in the recommended time frames for each question. I often write too much on one point and not enough on others. Any advice to improve this and make sure I'm fine for the real thing?
    Write down in one word/short sentence the themes/topics you're going to cover.

In my exam, in one question, I had to write an essay about 2 types of technology and compare them.

In pencil I noted:

SQL/relational:
    ACID
    Relationships
    Issues

No SQL/non relational:
    BASE
    Big Data
    Issues

Then write something for each heading leaving enough space to add more if you have time. Use the clock to help you pace yourself so you write something under each heading and not spend too long on a topic that you run out of time.

For my essay, my time allocation may be:

if 45 min to write the whole thing:
    Into
    SQL/relational:
    ACID
    Relationships
    Issues
    you should be here by 50% of allocated time (unless you are ahead, which is ok)
    No SQL/non relational:
    BASE
    Big Data
    Issues
    Conclusion
    you should be finishing allowing 5 min to check your essay and add a bit more for extra marks (unless you are ahead of this schedule).

If you check your clock and you are behind leave the topic you're on and move on to the next. Stay if only you are ahead of time on this schedule.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.