The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

WMG vs WBS

Hello everyone!
I am going to apply at a postgraduate course in the Warwick Manufacturing Group of the university, and I don't know if it has any connection to the Warwick Business School department. The WBS is in every university ranking but I cannot find the WMG anywhere, can anyone tell if there is any connection between the 2 departments, or if they are equally good? Thank you very much in advance.
WMG' is more focused on business relating to science/engineering/manufacturing as far as I'm aware of, whereas WBS is a much more traditional business oriented one. WMG however sounds fantastic, considering the breadth and innovation of courses on offer. WBS, as you would already know, is world renowned as being one of the world's leading business schools.
Either way, you'll get a Masters from Warwick University, which in itself is a huge accomplishment. Hope this helps!
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Having studied at both WMG and WBS, I can safely make the recommendation that you should stay as far away from WMG as possible. The standard of teaching, course structure, course content and cohort is all far worse than WBS. The only redeeming quality of WMG is the Warwick stamp it gives you on a CV. Apart from that, it's absolute trash.
Original post by uxa595
Having studied at both WMG and WBS, I can safely make the recommendation that you should stay as far away from WMG as possible. The standard of teaching, course structure, course content and cohort is all far worse than WBS. The only redeeming quality of WMG is the Warwick stamp it gives you on a CV. Apart from that, it's absolute trash.

can you go ahead sharing why is that bad? I'm interested in their MSc in Eng and Business
I have studied at WMG this past year and I have got to say it is one of the best courses. After the course going to interviews, I felt I could impress and show a large amount of knowledge on my course which was Manufacturing Systems Engineering. I would recommend WMG if you want to go into something related to science or engineering without a doubt as WBS will focus on business. Department wise WBS is one medium sized building whilst WMG takes up almost half the campus and is home to some of the most advanced industrial research centres.
How difficult is it to get into WMG? a 2:1 UK hons with 8 Band IELTS. Self funded.

Original post by 2cool4youxx
I have studied at WMG this past year and I have got to say it is one of the best courses. After the course going to interviews, I felt I could impress and show a large amount of knowledge on my course which was Manufacturing Systems Engineering. I would recommend WMG if you want to go into something related to science or engineering without a doubt as WBS will focus on business. Department wise WBS is one medium sized building whilst WMG takes up almost half the campus and is home to some of the most advanced industrial research centres.
Lol...I have studied at both places too.....and i recommend otherwise...for me WMG was way better experience in terms of cohort than WBS...It has more senior working professionals than WBS with a technical bent of mind. I would say if you are going for finance join WBS, for rest specialized management courses for Tech folks WMG is way better.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by EnergyBanker
can you go ahead sharing why is that bad? I'm interested in their MSc in Eng and Business

Go ahead...i think its the flagship course of Warwick....
I studied at WBS for my undergrad and WMG for my master's. I feel both are on par. Finance and economics courses at WBS are top notch, however if you want to work with technical bent of mind and mature folks WMG is the place to be. WBS is a good brand but only for MBA, in case you want tech mba you should join WMG's Engineering Management course...
Based on my search results & opinions from the web, WMG's MSC rating seems to be some way off the ranking of the University of Warwick itself.

It is often seen that applicants for G5 university departments will only take into account the departments of WBS, and WMG rarely appears.

Overall, when MSCs with seemingly similar names appear, WMG appears to be far inferior to other MSCs at the University of Warwick and seems to be ranked differently in the minds of students than the University of Warwick itself.

In conclusion, the tuition fee of WMG is more expensive than the general MSC, but its status in the minds of students is not as good as the QS ranking of the University of Warwick.

Quick Reply

Latest