Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am studying 11 GCSEs (as well as Admaths) which means I'm doing triple science and an extra subject (Ancient Greek). I've done GCSE Dt for the last year and I hate it. The theory and the actual exams are ok - I normally do well on those things - but I am extremely bad at the coursework and hate it with a passion. I frequently get panic attacks from just thinking about it and it doesn't help that I'm very behind on it and my teacher is pressuring us to finish. I love the teacher but I hate the majority of the subject and I don't know if I should give it up as I want to, or if I should carry on.

I'm still waiting on the results from my mocks but I think that I did well in all of my exams (I'm usually getting A*s/As) but I know that I'm doing badly in my coursework. I don't want to be getting all As and A*s to then just have Dt pull it all down, especially when I'm doing extra subjects and so I don't actually need to do Dt. My school already knows that I can struggle with the high workload at times and they said that it could be a possibility to give up a subject but they were hinting at the subject in question being my extra one. I much prefer Ancient Greek (the extra subject) to Dt and even though it's a lot of hard work I think I could do well in it.

I still have some time to decide but I'm almost certain that I want to do it. My parents are slowly starting to support the idea but I feel guilty about giving up a subject after 1 and 1/2 years of doing it. I'm also not sure how I would go about asking about it as I don't think I want to tell my Dt teacher directly (for obvious reasons) and I haven't heard much about how this is arranged and what I would do during lesson time.

Any help or advice would be welcomed xx

ReputationRep:
    I also did DT and instantly regretted it. I was bad at it, it had rough people in it and I had no interest in it.

I barely did any revision for it and got a B which was ok.

However, I don't suggest dropping it but I suggest you focus on your other, more important subjects such as maths and sciences (especially when you're doing dmaths and triple/sci, an A* in those will look far more impressive than an A* in DT imo).

That doesn't mean neglecting it all together. Do the coursework because it saves your ass and just do a little revision here and there.

I didn't revise for my DT because it literally made me depressed. I hated it that much. I just wanted to do maths haha

ReputationRep:
    But 11 subject is the norm, is it not? I'm doing 11 and got offered to do Admaths but I despise it, so it's just 11 for me. At my school only the thickos or the people who have messed up lives will drop a subject, so I wouldn't. Anyway, if you are aiming for university, they only look at your top 8.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.