Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do people just go to parties alone and make friends? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so, evidently like many of us on TSR I don't know how to make friends at university. I have my group at home but here it's proving difficult to form one.

In the first week of university, do people literally go to social events alone and approach people and make conversation? Is that how it works? I always imagined going with people to an event otherwise I'd just feel awkward going alone. What if you don't have people? Is the first step to just go alone and then you'll magically make friends?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not exactly the same as what you are asking. But a few months ago I was invited to a house party by a friend who ended up being essentially absent for the entire party and I basically left to my own devices with a bunch of people I had never met before.

I 100% have to be honest and admit yes it was scary and yes it was awkward just going up to completely random people and start talking to them. And sometimes I was unsuccessful and the conversation went nowhere and it was awkward, but I kept trying and eventually ended up on a night out with completely new people I had never met before.

With things like this, you'll never know if you don't try. And it only gets easier the more you try. It's easier with a friend by your side, but it is possible to go it alone. Especially at things like fresher events.

You learn through trial and error the best ways to approach people, and it often depends on the setting. For example the were a couple of people stood by a table at that party with a bowl of punch on it, I said something along the lines of "bloody hell, what is that looks lethal" and we had a giggle about it. From there I just asked general chit chat questions such as who they knew who lives there, what they are studying etc. Often the chat will end there, other times the conversation progresses to better stuff and a friendship can form. I recommend trying to throw in some comedy, often works out well for me.

But I cannot stress enough that without putting in the effort you will not get results.

ReputationRep:
    ye it's pretty standard being invited to parties where you don't know anyone. e.g. your friend invites you to his party, but said friend is the only person there that you know.

ReputationRep:
    In uni students tend to have their flatmates as their first friendship group so it's important to make an effort with them and to organise plans with them. In the first week of uni students hang out/go to parties/go to clubs with their flatmates. If you don't mesh well with your flatmates or don't have flatmates then you'll have to actively put in harder work to make friends.

You'll often find that you're invited to parties where you only know the host (or I suggest crashing flat parties in the same building as yours.) In this case it is just normal to go along and to worm your way into the conversations. Nobody will think you're weird and everyone is always happy to meet new people at uni. A tip is that after meeting and conversing with someone, add them on facebook because that way when they see you around they'll find your face familiar and you're more likely to get personally invited to events.

This is a typical thing to say but honestly join a society. These people basically have to make you feel welcome and they're like an instant friendship group with lots of socials to attend. It would be difficult to not make any friends after joining a society or two. Also, look out for events which are aimed at students who are staying at home or don't drink - it will give you an opportunity to meet other people who probably also struggling to make friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    Okay so, evidently like many of us on TSR I don't know how to make friends at university. I have my group at home but here it's proving difficult to form one.

In the first week of university, do people literally go to social events alone and approach people and make conversation? Is that how it works? I always imagined going with people to an event otherwise I'd just feel awkward going alone. What if you don't have people? Is the first step to just go alone and then you'll magically make friends?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I usually went with at least one person I knew, and met almost all my friends through parties and pre drinks.

It's actually quite easy to meet someone during uni, so yeah you'll be able to make at least one friend if you go alone.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.