Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have applied and been given a conditional offer to Sunderland uni for cosmetic science and I'm trying to decide between unis, however I'm not sure what Sunderland is really like as I do not have time to visit and the website doesn't answer all my questions.
    Would be greatful if people already studying there could answer some questions.

1. What is the teaching/teachers like? (Heard it's a new course there so teaching might be bad)
    2. Are the facilities good? (Again new course so facilities are new but might not suffcient enough?)
    3. Are class sizes really small? Do you like it?
    4. Lecture theatres used or labs in small classes?
    5. How much lab time do you get a week? How many can you miss without consequences?
    6. What's living in Sunderland like? What's there to do? (Everyone I've talked to has trash talked Sunderland and said it's really ****, I'm scared I'll get there and hate it)
    7. Clubs/bars/ shisha cafes?
    8. Do you find yourself going to Newcastle for a night out instead?
    9. What's the beach like? Do you do any watersports there? ( This is a factor that'd make me want to go)
    10. What's your overall opinion on Sunderland, would you recommend other people go there for this course?

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Hi your in luck... I am one of the 13 students that studies the course haha!!
    I can definitely help to answer your questions.. bearing in mind i am only at the beginning of semester 2 in the first year myself so i don't have a full picture of the whole course just first impressions really!!

1. Teaching - so the teaching isn't the best i've ever seen but i think that's just due to the completely different learning style of university compared with school/sixth form ... definitely not directly related to the course if anything just the uni in general! A major POSITIVE regarding the teaching on the course is that we regularly get external people from industry delivering us our lectures which is very exciting and a good way to get to know how the industry works!

2. Facilities - The facilities are generally better than expected of the uni. e.g. Nice labs, Nice teaching areas etc etc
    There isn't anything ive really noticed it lacks in facilities considering the uni ( non russell-group ) ...
    I cannot report specifically on facilities directly related to the course and the cosmetic side of things as so far labs have been general science related ( We've had Chemistry and Biology labs so far) .. very soon we will be starting on basic formulations! But I wouldnt worry about the facilities not being sufficent enough due to the new course, i think quite a lot of the instruments used will be used in other areas to.... although new equipmennt can only be a postive for us hha!

3 Class size - yeah so class size is very small with only 13 of us! I always imagined Uni as being in big lecture halls with hundreds of students but not on this course! Although im pretty sure there will be more of you next year!!! i dont think it is a negative at all... if anything a positive as it means we get more opportunities for 1:1 time with our course leader and chances to ask questions with it only be a small teaching group!

4 We have a nice mix of both small teaching areas and small lecture theaters! This is because in the first few modules we actually have lectures with Biopharmaceutical sciences for all the pure science stuff we need to know! But for the other modules where it is only us we are taught in a classroom environment.

5 Lab time - Last Semester we didn't have too much labs at all with only one Lab module and this tended to result in a session every other week! However this semester it is much more lab orientated with us having Biology Labs on a Wednesday afternoon and Formulation Lab on a friday morning! As for missing lab, it depends on whether it is assessed or whether a written report is required.... but i wouldn't suggest missing labs continuously as they would for sure notice!

6- Sunderland - aah sunderland... lets just say i wouldn't have chosen to study here if it wasn't for the course! There is still quite a bit to do ... it has the chain restaurants e.g. Nandos, Frankie & Bennies, Revolution ... and the nightlife really isn't the worse .. i guess it depends where you are coming from haha! The bridges shopping centre is pretty good with it containing most if not all of the high street shops! I guess it just lacks really nice places to eat or like edgy cafes and stuff that other big cities will have! Yes there is one shisha place that i know of haha!

7- Newcastle - yes so Newcastle is only 30 mins on the metro and in the daytime is a really good option to go for food or shopping with your friends! Going there for a night out is definitely a option too.. i do go sometimes but find myself choosing too just stay in sunderland as depending on your group size as it can be expensive getting a taxi back haha!! But Newcastle obviously has much better clubs and actual events going on!

8- Beach - the beach seems really nice! I have only had a walk down once as the weather has been pretty bad but in the summer it will definitely be a place to visit !! IM not sure about the watersports thing sorry haha!!

Overall, I would for sure reccomend the course! i find it reallly enjoyable and find it cool how its so unique!! Sunderland itself isnt somewhere i would particularly recommend anyone as a place of study but i think the course over-rides this for me .. So YES!!

Hopefully i have answered some of your questions...
    I typed this up last night and then lost it all as i wasnt logged in so i apologize if it seems rushed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millie97xo)
    Hi your in luck... I am one of the 13 students that studies the course haha!!
    I can definitely help to answer your questions.. bearing in mind i am only at the beginning of semester 2 in the first year myself so i don't have a full picture of the whole course just first impressions really!!

1. Teaching - so the teaching isn't the best i've ever seen but i think that's just due to the completely different learning style of university compared with school/sixth form ... definitely not directly related to the course if anything just the uni in general! A major POSITIVE regarding the teaching on the course is that we regularly get external people from industry delivering us our lectures which is very exciting and a good way to get to know how the industry works!

2. Facilities - The facilities are generally better than expected of the uni. e.g. Nice labs, Nice teaching areas etc etc
    There isn't anything ive really noticed it lacks in facilities considering the uni ( non russell-group ) ...
    I cannot report specifically on facilities directly related to the course and the cosmetic side of things as so far labs have been general science related ( We've had Chemistry and Biology labs so far) .. very soon we will be starting on basic formulations! But I wouldnt worry about the facilities not being sufficent enough due to the new course, i think quite a lot of the instruments used will be used in other areas to.... although new equipmennt can only be a postive for us hha!

3 Class size - yeah so class size is very small with only 13 of us! I always imagined Uni as being in big lecture halls with hundreds of students but not on this course! Although im pretty sure there will be more of you next year!!! i dont think it is a negative at all... if anything a positive as it means we get more opportunities for 1:1 time with our course leader and chances to ask questions with it only be a small teaching group!

4 We have a nice mix of both small teaching areas and small lecture theaters! This is because in the first few modules we actually have lectures with Biopharmaceutical sciences for all the pure science stuff we need to know! But for the other modules where it is only us we are taught in a classroom environment.

5 Lab time - Last Semester we didn't have too much labs at all with only one Lab module and this tended to result in a session every other week! However this semester it is much more lab orientated with us having Biology Labs on a Wednesday afternoon and Formulation Lab on a friday morning! As for missing lab, it depends on whether it is assessed or whether a written report is required.... but i wouldn't suggest missing labs continuously as they would for sure notice!

6- Sunderland - aah sunderland... lets just say i wouldn't have chosen to study here if it wasn't for the course! There is still quite a bit to do ... it has the chain restaurants e.g. Nandos, Frankie & Bennies, Revolution ... and the nightlife really isn't the worse .. i guess it depends where you are coming from haha! The bridges shopping centre is pretty good with it containing most if not all of the high street shops! I guess it just lacks really nice places to eat or like edgy cafes and stuff that other big cities will have! Yes there is one shisha place that i know of haha!

7- Newcastle - yes so Newcastle is only 30 mins on the metro and in the daytime is a really good option to go for food or shopping with your friends! Going there for a night out is definitely a option too.. i do go sometimes but find myself choosing too just stay in sunderland as depending on your group size as it can be expensive getting a taxi back haha!! But Newcastle obviously has much better clubs and actual events going on!

8- Beach - the beach seems really nice! I have only had a walk down once as the weather has been pretty bad but in the summer it will definitely be a place to visit !! IM not sure about the watersports thing sorry haha!!

Overall, I would for sure reccomend the course! i find it reallly enjoyable and find it cool how its so unique!! Sunderland itself isnt somewhere i would particularly recommend anyone as a place of study but i think the course over-rides this for me .. So YES!!

Hopefully i have answered some of your questions...
    I typed this up last night and then lost it all as i wasnt logged in so i apologize if it seems rushed
    Hey 👋🏻 I'm im planning to apply for cosmetic science (Sunderland) may I know more about it ? And is Sunderland a good uni because I heard that it's not too good ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

University of Sunderland Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

Scape Student Living

Scape Student Living

"Brand new super studios at Scape Shoreditch, three minutes away from Old Street station!"

Quick links:

Unanswered University of Sunderland ThreadsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other Sunderland applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.