The Student Room Group

Has anime gotten worse in recent years?

This poll is closed

Has anime gotten worse in recent years?

Yes 0%
No100%
Total votes: 4
A common opinion I've heard from casual anime friends and otakus alike is that the quality of anime story telling has deteriorated. Often attributed to an over-reliance of hackneyed tropes and patronising fan service, some feel that the only things series that have come out in the few years have to offer is better graphics.

But impressive animation does not compensate for shows which appeal to the lowest common denominator.

What do you think? If you disagree, comment why and perhaps show examples of recent shows which you'd recommend to others.
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
A common opinion I've heard from casual anime friends and otakus alike is that the quality of anime story telling has deteriorated. Often attributed to an over-reliance of hackneyed tropes and patronising fan service, some feel that the only things series that have come out in the few years have to offer is better graphics.

But impressive animation does not compensate for shows which appeal to the lowest common denominator.

What do you think? If you disagree, comment why and perhaps show examples of recent shows which you'd recommend to others.

There are far more anime series getting released these days - compare the ~33 full-length new series from this season to the ~15 from the Winter 2010 season, for example. A lot of these extra series are budget, trope-heavy or clones cashing in on whatever the big craze is at the moment.

I'd argue that there are just as many outstanding series as there used to be, but the average quality and originality *may* have dropped if you're looking at the season as a whole, due to this larger number of 'meh' series. It doesn't help that a lot of the ones that get really hyped up recently don't have a lot going for them aside from the animation (looking at you One Punch Man, Sword Art Online etc).

Recent series that I personally felt have done a good job purely from a story/character point of view (though many also have nice animation and music, always a bonus) include Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, Shin Sekai Yori, Barakamon, Hibike! Euphonium, and even the most recent Gundam offering Iron-Blooded Orphans.
I think they're getting hyped up before they're released, and so we end up with really high standards. I haven't watched much this year, but 2014-2015 had a lot of painfully cliche characters, overused storylines, and over-the-top fanservice. Personal favorite of the year is probably Gakuen Handsome, because it parodies and represents everything that is wrong with anime. YOI started weak, and then get really good half-way though, continued to improve for a god 3-4 episodes, and then ended kinda.....I mean it was a pretty good ending, but the episodes before that felt a lot more emotional.

Animation quality hasn't improved too much, but they're trying out different styles which is cool. I'm guessing that they fix the frame rates, anatomy, etc. in the Blu-ray. If not, there wouldn't be much reason to get it lol.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
There are far more anime series getting released these days - compare the ~33 full-length new series from this season to the ~15 from the Winter 2010 season, for example. A lot of these extra series are budget, trope-heavy or clones cashing in on whatever the big craze is at the moment.

I'd argue that there are just as many outstanding series as there used to be, but the average quality and originality *may* have dropped if you're looking at the season as a whole, due to this larger number of 'meh' series. It doesn't help that a lot of the ones that get really hyped up recently don't have a lot going for them aside from the animation (looking at you One Punch Man, Sword Art Online etc).

Recent series that I personally felt have done a good job purely from a story/character point of view (though many also have nice animation and music, always a bonus) include Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, Shin Sekai Yori, Barakamon, Hibike! Euphonium, and even the most recent Gundam offering Iron-Blooded Orphans.

That makes sense. Do you think that there are as many good series being released now as there were a few years ago or does the pressure to compete drive the majority to publish fluff? The Sao books are actually okay :wink:. With OPM, I think the way it was portrayed was deliberate. Thanks for the recommendations in your third paragraph.
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
That makes sense. Do you think that there are as many good series being released now as there were a few years ago or does the pressure to compete drive the majority to publish fluff? The Sao books are actually okay :wink:. With OPM, I think the way it was portrayed was deliberate. Thanks for the recommendations in your third paragraph.

I'd say the 'fluff' as you call it is certainly more commercially successful, though I'd argue that every now and then you see a really good series arise even from the most seemingly tired and overused genres. Plus there are a few creators who take advantage of the generic fan-pandering shows, by creating something so different that it stands out and gets more attention. So again, I'd say the same NUMBER of good series are coming out each year, even if they're a smaller PERCENTAGE of the ever-increasing anime output.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
I'd say the 'fluff' as you call it is certainly more commercially successful, though I'd argue that every now and then you see a really good series arise even from the most seemingly tired and overused genres. Plus there are a few creators who take advantage of the generic fan-pandering shows, by creating something so different that it stands out and gets more attention. So again, I'd say the same NUMBER of good series are coming out each year, even if they're a smaller PERCENTAGE of the ever-increasing anime output.

I think I'd agree with your assessment but I do think there's a danger of trying to be too different or groundbreaking. For one thing, it alienates a potential sizable fanbase. And because of that it reduces the chance of renewal or even having longer series.
My favourite series tend to do the familiar in a novel way.
Reply 6
There's probably just as many good anime as before but you have to wade through more crap to get to them. Since they've changed from the 70/52/25/ episode formats to predominantly 12/13 episodes, obviously risk is lower and animation studios can afford to try new and different things that may or may not catch on. If it works, they'll make another season, else, let it die.
The main disadvantage to this mitigated risk approach is the need to rush and cram an entire season's plot into 12 episodes. Personally, I don't think 12 episodes is long enough to explain any deep or detailed story. Of course, this depends on the pacing of the anime and story itself.
I'm glad many decent anime go straight for a double season's worth, though, such as Re:Zero.
I don't think it had gotten worse by any stretch, we have just been spoilt by so many great series in the past.

Quick Reply

Latest