Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    In radio and television, U.S. law requires that stations identify the sources of sponsored material. The Code of Federal Regulations defines sponsored material as any transmission for which “money, service, or other valuable consideration is either directly or indirectly paid or promised to, or charged or accepted by such station.” Source: https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/sponsorship_disclosure

Beauty drama channels such as I'm here for the tea and John Kuckian have made a lot of videos critiquing influences who fail to disclose sponsorship or inform their viewers that the links provided for products they recommend are affiliate links and so earn them commission for generated sales.
    I'm inclined to agree and think that gurus should be transparent about such things.

What are your thoughts? Do you care if your favourite beauty guru youtuber is honest about the presence of lack there-of sponsorship? If not, do you think it's possible for someone to give an unbiased opinion of a product they're getting paid to promote?
    Comment below

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

A lot of people criticise beauty vloggers for not mentioning sponsorships, etc. I think, viewers know that most of these people are receiving some sort of payment for ramping up subscribers and viewers. My point being, if they're being paid by YouTube, what makes you think they are not being paid by companies/ brands to promote their product. A lot of beauty gurus, although it may seem innocent, post videos like "Full face using one brand"! I mean, you should know from that that they are most likely being sponsored. I recently watched a video, where I knew the vlogger was part of an ad campaign for Maybelline, and she obviously presented that product in the video; so it was obvious she was being sponsored.

I don't really care or mind if my favourite youtuber didn't mention anything about sponsorships in the video. This is because it doesn't actually affect me! I just went on the video to watch it, if they're sponsored it doesn't affect me whatsoever, good for them! The second reason is that, it's in the description box 50 per cent of the time. So, at least they state it somewhere, that's good enough for me. Last reason being, I'm smart enough to know that if they're very popular and well known on YouTube, they're probably being paid by outside sources (beauty/ skincare brands) to promote their products as well as YouTube paying them. That's probably the main reason why beauty gurus and vloggers even recieve free products from different companies, to PROMOTE THEM. Affiliate links? Also no problem with those. The vlogger is helping me by providing a link and I'm helping them by clicking it. I don't see how that's such a big problem. I refuse to be naïve about the fact that they're getting paid either way, it's something I can't change.

I'm not sure about vloggers being unbiased. I think it's possible, in general, but I don't think they will be unbiased. I have a feeling that sponsors encourages them to be biased so they can reel in customers, etc. Like, what's the point in promoting the product of they're just going to put it down with negatives. So no, for something being paid to promote products, they can't be unbiased about it. Which is unfortunate.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's skeevy and a show of true character if beauty gurus, or any person for that matter, purposely choose to not disclose whether something is sponsored or sent for free. I understand that there is a dislike for sponsored videos, but that is besides the point. Not only should one be honest with their audience, but most importantly, they are legally required to disclose these types of things. The lack of transparency is evident in the beauty guru community. A lot of them are okay, but some are just shilling for notoriety and money. They know they're big influencers and take advantage. Their audience is often young and still learning, and view these people as "sisters" teaching them the ropes and don't get that there may be ulterior motives, so it's quite unfortunate in that sense, at least on a moral, and even consumerist level. I don't really care on a personal level, as I don't typically go out and buy whatever they recommend and can usually tell if it's sponsored. Overall, my concern is with the principle of legality and honesty, rather than its effects.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I do think it's a bit shady when they don't disclose it. We all know that they get sponsored to do videos and stuff, but we can't know exactly which ones all of the time. Even if they don't say it in a video, it should be written in the description or something. I think when people go and buy the products they talk about using affiliate links, they should be aware of it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.