Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are tuitions fees double for overseas Students in UK unlike EU uni?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I find this unfair? could anyone explain to me plz.. it s not a kind of segregation?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, overseas students pay the double of the UK/EU students unlike other EU universities! any explanation? is not a kind of segragation?

ReputationRep:
    It probably increases the workload of the university to admit foreign students, also you guys don't contribute as much to the local economy as nationals do. These are sensible reasons to charge more. Also, our ancestors made it, so we have more rights

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly81)
    Hello all,

I find this unfair? could anyone explain to me plz.. it s not a kind of segregation?
    Fairness certainly doesn't enter into it. It's a seller's market and unis need the income. Unis charge high International fees because they can fill those places at those higher prices. They have no incentive to offer reduced fees to International students.

If you moved to the UK from outside the EU and you didn't just come here for education, once you've been here for a full three years you will pay UK fees and get full UK Student Finance. That's pretty generous compared to other countries.

The bottom line is that International students looking at uni in the UK, can choose to go anywhere in the world. If they can find somewhere cheaper and money is an issue, then they will go elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mistletoe)
    It probably increases the workload of the university to admit foreign students, also you guys don't contribute as much to the local economy as nationals do. These are sensible reasons to charge more. Also, our ancestors made it, so we have more rights

Thanks for your reply. i cant be convinced all the EU universities charge the same tuitions fees for all students... There is the commercial exchange between countries also that contribute in the economy.... so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Fairness certainly doesn't enter into it. It's a seller's market and unis need the income. Unis charge high International fees because they can fill those places at those higher prices. They have no incentive to offer reduced fees to International students.

If you moved to the UK from outside the EU and you didn't just come here for education, once you've been here for a full three years you will pay UK fees and get full UK Student Finance. That's pretty generous compared to other countries.

The bottom line is that International students looking at uni in the UK, can choose to go anywhere in the world. If they can find somewhere cheaper and money is an issue, then they will go elsewhere.

Thank you, actually i have been several times in UK and like it very much. I like the people, the society etc..though it s little bit expensive. That s why i am planning to apply for Msc. But if you dont mind could you clarify more the second paragraph?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly81)
    Thanks for your reply. i cant be convinced all the EU universities charge the same tuitions fees for all students... There is the commercial exchange between countries also that contribute in the economy.... so
    Their degrees generally have less value than degrees from Britain.

ReputationRep:
    It's because the U.K. government is subsidising the difference for U.K. Students, with the expectation that the investment will be worth it as those people will go on to contribute income taxes for many years. I'm afraid we can't afford to fund anyone in the world who would like to study here, particularly if they are unlikely to be able to work here afterwards, so international students must pay the full amount.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Supply and demand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mistletoe)
    1. What workload is involved in admitting foreign students that is different from domestic students? We all go through the same admissions process. Maybe the issuance of a one paged CAS.

2. Not contributing much to the local economy may probably be a little bit of a sensible reason.

3. "Our ancestors made it, so we have more rights." This one is far from the truth. My black ancestors built these empires through their blood and sweat and the economies were built on the plundering and looting of the colonies where my ancestors lived and made a livelihood. So no, this reason is rejected.

ReputationRep:
    Unlike home tuition fees, international fees are not capped so universities treat international students like cash cows.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LegalDiaries)
    1. What workload is involved in admitting foreign students that is different from domestic students? We all go through the same admissions process. Maybe the issuance of a one paged CAS.

2. Not contributing much to the local economy may probably be a little bit of a sensible reason.

3. "Our ancestors made it, so we have more rights." This one is far from the truth. My black ancestors built these empires through their blood and sweat and the economies were built on the plundering and looting of the colonies where my ancestors lived and made a livelihood. So no, this reason is rejected.
    1. The investment in time and systems to enable a university to meet the requirements of a tier 4 sponsor are substantial. Even in a tiny university there's likely to be 3-4 members of staff ensuring that the university complies with the regulations, understands qualification equivalents from around the world and assists their international students with their living issues. For example a uk bank account requires a letter from a university confirming a students attendance. Every single bank has different requirements for the content of those letters. Every year university staff spend a week or more talking to banks to agree on a template. Then when the students arrive someone has to manually produce (and stamp and sign) a custom letter for each student depending on what bank they want to join.

That's just one small example of an extra administrative task required for international students.

ReputationRep:
    As an international student who was charged thrice the amount of what locals pay, I struggled to find a morally acceptable reason for this. The thinking that these students are already paying more to government anyway is sometimes flawed. Most of the people on welfare and benefits are British to start off with. They also get credits and leave the social burden on those who work, who interestingly are increasingly involving non nationals.

Even when you get a job as a foreign student to support your education, you will still be charged higher because you work part time. So yeah, the tax is high and the tuition is high!

But it goes down to choice. If you go to a place, you go knowing what the T&Cs are and you sign up willingly and without being forced. If you feel that the tuition was too high, going elsewhere is an option. But as long as international students are still flocking itno Britain, the charges will remain different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    1. The investment in time and systems to enable a university to meet the requirements of a tier 4 sponsor are substantial. Even in a tiny university there's likely to be 3-4 members of staff ensuring that the university complies with the regulations, understands qualification equivalents from around the world and assists their international students with their living issues. For example a uk bank account requires a letter from a university confirming a students attendance. Every single bank has different requirements for the content of those letters. Every year university staff spend a week or more talking to banks to agree on a template. Then when the students arrive someone has to manually produce (and stamp and sign) a custom letter for each student depending on what bank they want to join.

That's just one small example of an extra administrative task required for international students.
    The last time I checked, even nationals were required to produce a letter from the university before opening a bank account. Actually during my undergrad and masters, we all got letters to open bank accounts, regardless of whether we were nationals or foreigners. And the content of the letters was the same regardless of where we opened the accounts.

It is not in disrepute that the school does expend some resources in getting Tier 4 sponsorhip status. But does that justify a trippled charge? It is agreeable to charge 2k more or even 5k more. But to charge over 20k more is unreasonable. Note that these universities also benefit because there are increasingly a large number of international students in these universities who bring skill, knowledge, and also contribute like locals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    Unlike home tuition fees, international fees are not capped so universities treat international students like cash cows.
    Probably the best explanation I have heard!

ReputationRep:
    And to those talking about how international students dont contribute to the economy, a July 2013 report by the Department for Business, Innovation & Skills (BIS) estimated that the 435,235 international higher education students in the UK (in 2011-12) contributed £10.2bn to the UK economy, via tuition fees (£3.9bn) and living expenses (£6.3bn) I am still looking for more recent statistics.

Anyway, Finland is an option for international students who dont want to be robbed.
    • Very Important Poster

As an international student who was charged thrice the amount of what locals pay, I struggled to find a morally acceptable reason for this. The thinking that these students are already paying more to government anyway is sometimes flawed. Most of the people on welfare and benefits are British to start off with. They also get credits and leave the social burden on those who work, who interestingly are increasingly involving non nationals.

Even when you get a job as a foreign student to support your education, you will still be charged higher because you work part time. So yeah, the tax is high and the tuition is high!

But it goes down to choice. If you go to a place, you go knowing what the T&Cs are and you sign up willingly and without being forced. If you feel that the tuition was too high, going elsewhere is an option. But as long as international students are still flocking itno Britain, the charges will remain different.
    Morally acceptable? Nobody forced you to come to the UK. Pesumably a degree from the UK was worth more to you and your future than studying elsewhere?
    British students are citizens and subsidised with tax payers money, plus they are an investment for the countries prosperity. International students or their parents wont have contributed the same level of taxes as part of the collective, nor are they citizens, nor will they be contributing for the rest of their working lives.

Perfect common sense to charge international students more. If they decide it isnt worth the money for them, then they will go elsewhere. The students make the choice becayse they decide it is in their best interests to pay more for a UK degee.

ReputationRep:
    I love how Americans are complaining about the cost of British universities... Guys, relax, your country charges 35k A YEAR for international students, so you have no right to complain about other countries' tuition costs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Morally acceptable? Nobody forced you to come to the UK. Pesumably a degree from the UK was worth more to you and your future than studying elsewhere?
    British students are citizens and subsidised with tax payers money, plus they are an investment for the countries prosperity. International students or their parents wont have contributed the same level of taxes as part of the collective, nor are they citizens, nor will they be contributing for the rest of their working lives.

Perfect common sense to charge international students more. If they decide it isnt worth the money for them, then they will go elsewhere. The students make the choice becayse they decide it is in their best interests to pay more for a UK degee.
    This is what happens when you refuse to read the whole comment and instead go on a rant. If you bothered to read to the end, you would have noticed that I actually talked about choice and the fact that since no one forces you to come here, you should definately pay. But no, you only read what you want to read! I rest my case.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    The last time I checked, even nationals were required to produce a letter from the university before opening a bank account. Actually during my undergrad and masters, we all got letters to open bank accounts, regardless of whether we were nationals or foreigners. And the content of the letters was the same regardless of where we opened the accounts.

It is not in disrepute that the school does expend some resources in getting Tier 4 sponsorhip status. But does that justify a trippled charge? It is agreeable to charge 2k more or even 5k more. But to charge over 20k more is unreasonable. Note that these universities also benefit because there are increasingly a large number of international students in these universities who bring skill, knowledge, and also contribute like locals.
    Only postgraduates require a letter - and there's very few of those from the UK. UK undergraduates can get a bank account using their UCAS standard letter.

If your university issued standard letters acceptable to all local banks then trust me - that's down to weeks of negotiation and hard work by staff (where I used to work bank letters would take a minimum of a month's work from someone at senior officer level - occasionally bringing in department heads or even the executive team). You might not have seen that work but it will have happened - and a year later it's likely that one of the banks involved will have decided they will no longer accept the standard letter and the whole process starts again.

GETTING Tier 4 sponsor status is relatively easy. Developing IT systems to properly interact with UKVI in order to issue (and track) CASs is extremely expensive.

KEEPING Tier 4 sponsor status is not easy. It requires dedicated visa staff. It requires the redesign of any course involving work placements. It requires extra checks on students applying to study ATAS subjects. It requires attendance checking and monitoring over and above previous requirements (again most universities have brought in dedicated attendance monitoring systems that require all staff to monitor attendance, extra staff to input information into the systems and IT staff to support those systems).

There's definitely universities and courses that overcharge for international students simply because they can - but in general outside London and outside Business/Management courses the additional charges do reflect the additional costs of recruiting, admitting and teaching international students.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.