Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do u use the examiners car? if so is it usually a standard car, or could it be anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sloaney87)
    Do u use the examiners car? if so is it usually a standard car, or could it be anything?
    The big companies (BSM, AA) AFAIK have standard cars - which they do fleet purchases and fleet replacements of regularly. It will be new, it will most likely be a hatchback.

I think it's the Corsa (?) for BSM.

ReputationRep:
    My driving insturctor had one of the new Renult Clios, it was a lovely car, I much prefered into the corsa in every way imaginable. The Clio had a realy gearbox instead of some clumsy effort on the corsa that had a mind of its own. Oh the Clio also had a suspension

I also loved driving my dads Punto MK1 but the Corsa, them cars really didn't agree with me, I just found the gearboxes nasty. Vauxhall did acknoledge this so the new shape corsa has a completly new gearbox which is supposed to be more slick, I have never driven one though.

ReputationRep:
    You'll most likely use your instructors' car. I did, it was a Fiesta, quite nice really. Then I passed and had to go back to my Mum's horrible Peugeot 309.

ReputationRep:
    If you used your local instructor, it will be the same car you use in the lessons, and you just pay them as you would for an hour's lesson.

ReputationRep:
    I used my instructor's car; it was with BSM. I think it was a Renault somethingorother. It was nice to drive though, once I'd got used to it after using my clapped-out Nissan Micra (F-reg).

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to use my instructors car, mainly because everytime I get into my mum's car I end up stalling it. Plus it refuses to go from forth to second gear

ReputationRep:
    You can use whichever car you want. If you use your instructor's car give the test centre his ADI and you will have to pay to hire it. If you are using another car make sure you can do all the manouevers the same in it beforehand.

Anyone else have trouble booking a test? I booked a month ago and first I could get was 1st December.

ReputationRep:
    i didn't know examiners had cars - i'm pretty sure it says you have to provide your own, either your instructors or your own car. i did it in my instructors saxo, because it had power steering and was nice and small so easy for manouevures! then i passed and now drive a 306, so much bigger in comparison, but with no power steering so it's so heavy to park!

ReputationRep:
    for the test you provide your own vehicle; but if it is actually yours (and not your instructor's) then you need to be careful. if its not 100% perfect (acceptable tyre tread, no broken lights etc etc) then they wont do your test. plus you need to be insured, as well as installing an additional mirror for the examiner.

i would use the instructors car tbh; especially if its power steering

ReputationRep:
    I used my instructor's car - a Daewoo (sp?!) Matiz - the thing rattled when we went too fast! lol was a nice little car though, very nifty... lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amrad)
    You can use whichever car you want. If you use your instructor's car give the test centre his ADI and you will have to pay to hire it. If you are using another car make sure you can do all the manouevers the same in it beforehand.

Anyone else have trouble booking a test? I booked a month ago and first I could get was 1st December.
    I booked mine online and got it when I wanted it. I think you can book much sooner ahead using the DVLA's internet booking service.

ReputationRep:
    I dont have an instructor, i learnt to drive in a foreign country, i defintely cant use my parents cars as they arent suitable, so what do i have to do for the test??

ReputationRep:
    in your test you use the car u want the car uve practised in either your own or instructors car..

incidentally, some cars arent acceptable to take a test in because the speedometer is positioned so the passenger can't see it

eg my car is a toyota yaris and would not be acceptable unless you had an extra speedo fitted

i think Puntos are the same but not sure

ReputationRep:
    I dont have an instructor, i learnt to drive in a foreign country, i defintely cant use my parents cars as they arent suitable, so what do i have to do for the test??
    contact a driving school and hire a car for an hour? would be like booking a lesson.

ReputationRep:
    I did mine in my instructor's car- a Rover 200 (or 205, can't remember which). I had to pay for a two hour lesson in order to get to Carlisle and back, but it was definitely reassuring to know that there were pedals for the examiner, just in case!

ReputationRep:
    do you need to do a test? can't you just exchange your licence?

the person might not have a licence - learning to drive isnt te same as holding a licence... and in some countries t get a licence is really easy (bribe a police officer?) etc so might not be accepted here

ReputationRep:
    just a hint i picked up when i fianlly passed.

examinors like you to be in instructors cars.

although you can take it in your own, you are much less likely to pass....the reasoning behind this is because when you are in the instructors car they feel safe because they know that they can be in control. if they are in your own car, then you are compleetly in control ...so they are nervous.

if they start nervous you have a much harder job to prove that you are a good driver.

last summer, the eximinors union were trying to change the rules on the test to make it compulsory to take it in a dual controled car. although this is not yet the rules, its something to consider.

love Katy ***

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.