Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Obama only commutes sentence for Manning behcase she's Transgender Watch

ReputationRep:
    If it she wasn't, I don't see Obama doing the same. I really don't.

At the end of the day, she's a traitor and put American life's at risk.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    What a simplistic claim and argument. Obama had plenty of reasons to release Manning, to name a few:

1) While what she did is subjectively wrong, she took responsibility for her actions, apologised and accepted her arrest rather than fleeing like Assange did.

2) She has clear mental health issues.

3) There are no deaths that are linked to her actions. She "could have" caused deaths but in the end she did not. She did save lives, however.

4) No whistleblower in America has received a sentence even half as long as Manning's.

5) Assange promised to hand himself in if Manning was granted clemency. The US government is a lot better off having him behind bars than her.

6) It's a clever ploy by Obama to put Trump in an awkward position. If Assange does hand himself in as a result of Manning's release, how will Trump treat the man who helped him win the election, but has clear ties with Russia and exposed the nation's secrets? Checkmate.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeYou2Night)

Thoughts?
    Then why did he commute other prisoners that were in for similar crimes?

Her sentence was extreme by any measure anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeYou2Night)

Thoughts?
    Whistle blowing the government should not set you in jail for years especially with such a corrupt country as America. It doesn't matter what she identifies as Obama did the right thing here.

ReputationRep:
    The most alarming thing about the Bradley Manning case is the fact that the US military,it would appear, have no system in place to prevent men with serious mental issues from working with classified material.

As for Manning he should serve out the sentence handed down to him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottish Person)
    Whistle blowing the government should not set you in jail for years especially with such a corrupt country as America. It doesn't matter what she identifies as Obama did the right thing here.
    Classified information is marked & protected that way for a reason. Usually it's because the data it contains could very well cost the lives of people out there on the ground doing their job. I suppose if you're sitting comfortably in an office you've got the luxury of attempting to judge whether you believe something is corrupt or not but many soliders, sailors, airmen & intelligence operatives rely on the protection of classified intel to keep them safe & get the job done.

ReputationRep:
    It'll keep the neoliberals and identity politics mongers happy, which is in keeping. They care sod all about real liberty, the kind that matters.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.