If it she wasn't, I don't see Obama doing the same. I really don't.
At the end of the day, she's a traitor and put American life's at risk.
Turn on thread page Beta
Obama only commutes sentence for Manning behcase she's Transgender watch
- Thread Starter
- 18-01-2017 10:47
- 18-01-2017 12:13
What a simplistic claim and argument. Obama had plenty of reasons to release Manning, to name a few:
1) While what she did is subjectively wrong, she took responsibility for her actions, apologised and accepted her arrest rather than fleeing like Assange did.
2) She has clear mental health issues.
3) There are no deaths that are linked to her actions. She "could have" caused deaths but in the end she did not. She did save lives, however.
4) No whistleblower in America has received a sentence even half as long as Manning's.
5) Assange promised to hand himself in if Manning was granted clemency. The US government is a lot better off having him behind bars than her.
6) It's a clever ploy by Obama to put Trump in an awkward position. If Assange does hand himself in as a result of Manning's release, how will Trump treat the man who helped him win the election, but has clear ties with Russia and exposed the nation's secrets? Checkmate.Last edited by Eunomia; 18-01-2017 at 13:00.
- Political Ambassador
- 18-01-2017 12:46
Her sentence was extreme by any measure anyway.
Posted from TSR Mobile
- 18-01-2017 20:33
- 19-01-2017 20:08
The most alarming thing about the Bradley Manning case is the fact that the US military,it would appear, have no system in place to prevent men with serious mental issues from working with classified material.
As for Manning he should serve out the sentence handed down to him.
(Original post by Scottish Person)
- 21-01-2017 08:23
Whistle blowing the government should not set you in jail for years especially with such a corrupt country as America. It doesn't matter what she identifies as Obama did the right thing here.
- 20-02-2017 11:50
It'll keep the neoliberals and identity politics mongers happy, which is in keeping. They care sod all about real liberty, the kind that matters.