Turn on thread page Beta

Speacial Support element of loan and housing benefit, please help. watch

    • Thread Starter

    Hi, I am a lone parent and receive the special support element of the maintenance
    loan. My local authority is refusing to disregard the special support element of my
    loan as income because the entitlement summary from SFE states that DWP should
    disregard the special support element and the LA are arguing that they are not part of DWP.

    How can I get evidence from SFE that tells the LA that they should disregard this
    amount? I am aware that LA's used to disregard in full the Special support grant, yet because the wording on the entitlement summary they refuse to disregard the loan element?

    If my housing benefit is not paid I will have to drop out of uni. Please advise.
    • TSR Support Team

    TSR Support Team
    Hi there,

    Check your online account. Under the 'Payments' section, you should be able to print off a full entitlement breakdown. This will clearly show the special support element of your funding, and your local authority should accept this as proof.

    If you're not able to, (or if the local authority won't accept this) please give us a call. You can request we send a letter showing this in writing.


    The same thing is happening to me my local authority has the break down showing the special support element but are refusing to disregard it how do i get proof they should disregard the special support element
    •  Official Rep

     Official Rep

    I would recommend going back to your local authority and perhaps referring to a Manager about this as they should be disregarding the Special Support Element of your Maintenance Loan (ML).

    The GOV.UK website section on Housing Benefit, doesn't specify about disregarding the Special Support Element but it does provide a link for 'Benefits Calculators' which when clicked on brings up a list of ones you can use. The first one on the list - 'Turn2Us' you can access it by clicking here. If you go into that page and scroll down to the bottom of it you will see that it says that for Housing Benefit some grant or loan is ignored and lists the 'Special Support Grant' (SSG). It doesn't state Special Support Elements but since this replaced the SSG it works the same way.

    I would recommend contacting them to ask them for advice on this or even a local Citizen's Advice Bureau as they may be able to take this up for you and contact the Local Authority.

    I hope you can get this sorted out.


Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.